Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to believe, but another Halloween has come and gone!

After being harassed by the remnants of Hurricane Patricia for three solid days, we were still able to get most everything together.

For this year, we made a conscious choice to go 'old school', so we used no motorized props, or projections, and tried to rely primarily on pumpkins/jack-o-lanterns as the central props.

Due to a busy year (new job, purchased new home, etc.) we didn't add a whole lot of new props, but I think we learned a lot about how to haunt our new place.

Updates for this year included:

- 'Revenant' headstone
- Pumpkin Lord
- Piranha Pumpkins
- Pumpkins, pumpkins, pumpkins

Anyway, below are several pictures (including daylight) and a the new video.

I hope everyone had a great Halloween!

Daytime:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Beautiful work! Colors and lighting look amazing! Would love to know what type of lights you use. Again, beautiful work!!!

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, thanks for that!

As for the lighting, I'm happy to share what we use. :)

For coverage of larger areas (e.g. up the walls of the house, or uplighting a tree), I primarily use outdoor stake light LEDs like the one pictured below. Heading into the season, they are commonly available from Home Depot/Lowe's, etc.

light.jpg

In smaller areas, such as lighting a headstone, or corner of the cemetery, I like to use colored CFL bulbs. Their color is very rich.

Bulb.jpg

The final lights are white LED spotlights. They come into play in spaces where a prop has become over-saturated with color, and detail becomes washed out. Placing the white LED spotlights becomes important to bring back the detail.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
First off beautiful house and grounds and it goes to show that you can create a truly eerie, spooky setting without the use of animated props. I absolutely loved what you did. The lighting was great (as well as your photography and video). Your doorway chained pumpkin creatures were my favorites. Creepy!

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a ton, everyone! :)

Those Pumpkin plants on the porch are pretty inspirational. I love them.
I'm really glad that you like them...in many ways, those props were actually what made me believe we could go the 'all pumpkin' route this year.

For being " old school" that is pretty awesome!

Thanks! It was an interesting exercise going without the 'gee whiz' animatronics, and projections.

I'm also pleased to report that the kids still expressed appreciation, and enjoyment. As an interesting side-note, I think I had more ToTs that were nervous about coming down the driveway than in previous years. There was something 'still' about the yard that I think lent everything a bit of a creepy aura.

First off beautiful house and grounds and it goes to show that you can create a truly eerie, spooky setting without the use of animated props. I absolutely loved what you did. The lighting was great (as well as your photography and video). Your doorway chained pumpkin creatures were my favorites. Creepy!
Thanks, GoS...that is exactly what we were hoping to achieve! :)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
Strong work, my friend! Classic Halloween done right. I really appreciate the old school approach as well. Wondering if there will be trend in that direction among home haunters. Love it!

Reactions: Defenestrator

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Strong work, my friend! Classic Halloween done right. I really appreciate the old school approach as well. Wondering if there will be trend in that direction among home haunters. Love it!
Thank you, sir!
I have to say, I really enjoyed this 'low-tech' year. If nothing else, there were many fewer opportunities for things to break, bind up, trip a breaker, etc. :)

My only trepidation was whether the ToTs would enjoy it without the motion that the animated props and projections provide. Based on this small sample size, the answer was 'yes', so that was pretty encouraging.

I'm certainly going to have to take some of this into consideration when planning for 2016 begins.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,238 Posts
The way the cemetery looks deadly, and then to have pumpkins there are just a great pleasant classic surprise. What did you neighbors say about your hearse carriage (which is awesome sauce too!!)?

Funny, I was going with all pumpkins next year too....but alas, my sons andDH vetoed that idea haha....well maybe 2017.:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts