Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Oh I got some plans for 2014. I want to build a few props. I've got some of the fixin's for a Cauldron Creep. I want to make a cemetary fence for my front yard. I'd like to build a "pallet" coffin. And I've got this big idea of building some castle walls that will be inside my garage. I figure if I can build sets for theatre productions, I sure as heck can build one for inside my garage. Besides the guy up the road has challenged me. He has been doing a huge Halloween display for years now. Not my cup-of-tea mind you. My wife always says it looks like Halloween "threw up" on his front yard. He really likes the twinkle lights and blow up displays. Has about 20 of them in the front yard alone. I give the guy credit for putting it out there, but it really has no theme. No rhyme or reason. I like my displays more on the classy, classic, gothic look. Think "Davis Graveyard." Anyway, he came down and told me I was doing a good job, but that I had a long way to go to catch up with him. I'm sure he meant it all in good fun, and that's the way i took it. But now I've got to get busy and create something that will have a bit of a WOW factor!

Yeah...good fun. The gauntlet's been thrown and it looks like you are picking it up. Good luck kickin butt!

·
4,484 Posts
My plans for 2014 are to spend about 10 1/2 months trying to decide if I am going smaller, bigger or staying the same. All of which depends on the help. There were six of us this year and I've concluded that that is the minimum number to run the haunt as a walk thru. If I can get a couple more volunteers, I go back to a bigger walkthru, If I get less, I need to get rid of the walkthru and just go with a yard haunt.

The big project for the year is another horse. I built one for my funeral carriage a year ago that looks like this:

In the construction process, I tossed this guy up on him and thought it looked pretty cool

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe a bit early to even think about new props - my Abby-normal brain needs to settle in for a long winter's nap!
One thing for sure, however, will be to better weatherize what I have. The rain and wind have done me in way too often.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My plan is to get some outside outlets installed so I can get our 'graveyard' lit up properly. Also for fog. And audio.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Do you replace the plastic every year? I started doing the same thing with 2x4s and plastic a couple of years ago. To secure it requires lots of staples, which means lots of holes, so I'm trying to figure out a better way to secure the plastic so I can use it a few years. Additionally, I plan on putting up more framework next year. Not worrying about the rain/wind allows me to set up earlier.
I absolutely agree. Due to the winds, we use 4-6 mil plastic that we cover with Scene Setters using 3M adhesive spray. I don't have pics of the first couple of years, but I'm certain it was 2003 when we started the first plastic sides to a, then, topless, tunnel. We use those same two (6mil) sides in the current Haunt, but we had to replace the dried and cracking Scene Setters on those sides, about two years ago.

After drawing the sheeting tight, we sandwich it with 12" shims from Home Depot and hold with a pneumatic stapler. We cut the plastic so that there is plenty of excess allowing us to roll the shim inside the plastic. I use a broad, sharpened prybar to remove the plastic and shims from the 2x4s. Stubborn staples come out easily using channel locks. Toss all the reusable shims in a box (usually about 80% are reusable once you get the knack of removal) and much later I will spend a couple of evenings in front of TV, using the channel locks to remove and toss the staples still in the shims. On average we buy one new pack of shims a year - about $5-6. If you start to eat away too much plastic repeating this process each year, just use the best ($10) can of 3M spray adhesive to glue a full length patch onto the area that needs replacement. Generally I wouldn't apply a patch with less than 12" of glue surface to the old 4-6mil. BTW, I always use the cheapest adhesive to attach the scene setters inside and out. Cheap spray will usually hold well until ready for disassembly. But sometimes the wind will make you climb the ladder to repair these. However, we NEVER have rain leaks anymore. Usually, you can carefully peal back the scene setters without ruining it when you need to patch or extend a section. Some times inside, the floorplan will mandate a Scene Setters change and I might want to save and reuse the Scene Setters.

The light plastic adds strength to the structure and makes the "stone" walls look more real. I used to use the same 6Mil for the roof, but found it stretches and sags easily in the Ca sun, creating water pockets when it rains. This is the third year that the dungeon has been covered by the same silver tarp roof mounted to the sides of the hant, then the scene setters boarder is used to cover the 1 X 2s holding the roof on the side. I think there is at least one more year in it. Our house faces ~North, so the lab roof (close to the house) ~never sees any Sun. That roof is 6mil "clear" because we want Lightning affects on the roof over the lab. We also have a lot of 48" blacklights in there that look pretty cool through the roof from the street.

Inside we use 4' x 8' foam walls frequently framed with 2 x 2s, all cover with Scene Setters and / or the thinner black plastic. By slitting only one side, you can fold the walls and pile them for easy storage. Use the cheap spray adhesive to cover that joint the next year with matching scene setters and the wall is sturdy again.

Sorry for the hijack.

·
4,484 Posts
I pulled 30 gallons of water out of this a couple years ago. (6 mil)

I've built a latice style room on the framework the past two years and so the pockets may get water, but not a lot. Then I just push up on them with a broom to drain them. The good thing is that it should withstand a early snow storm now.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Taking 2014 off due to a wedding.. Looking forward to a year off actually. Thinking about going to California in October for Halloween Horror Nights. Might also see if I can volunteer as an actor for some local haunt to see that side of things.

·
Undertaker
3,207 Posts
My plans for 2014 are to spend about 10 1/2 months trying to decide if I am going smaller, bigger or staying the same. All of which depends on the help. There were six of us this year and I've concluded that that is the minimum number to run the haunt as a walk thru. If I can get a couple more volunteers, I go back to a bigger walkthru, If I get less, I need to get rid of the walkthru and just go with a yard haunt.

The big project for the year is another horse. I built one for my funeral carriage a year ago that looks like this:

In the construction process, I tossed this guy up on him and thought it looked pretty cool
that looks terrific!

·
Undertaker
3,207 Posts
Taking 2014 off due to a wedding.. Looking forward to a year off actually. Thinking about going to California in October for Halloween Horror Nights. Might also see if I can volunteer as an actor for some local haunt to see that side of things.
Some people suffer terrible depression after getting married. I hope you re able to work thru it Monster Squad .....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Some people suffer terrible depression after getting married. I hope you re able to work thru it Monster Squad .....
How true. That depression has been known to continue for decades.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
1,992 Posts
You can get pre-wired, 12V LED in various sizes and colors very cheap on ebay. For spotlights I start with large PVC pipe cut down to desired length. Spray inside silver and outside black. Use the smallest, cheapest speaker wire you can find to wire as many lights as you can build to a single Malibu Light transformer and your electric bill will hardly notice your new lighting affects!
FWIW

Thanks! I really had no idea to even start going about this. Now that I understand, this must be similar to what people are using when they have so many lights all thru their displays!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Having essentially eliminated our walkthrough portion, we are planning to construct an open front 12x12 "room" in our driveway. We'll have an entrance and exit hall, likely built from pallets and corn stalks, like we did this year. The room itself can be any number of scare themes but we're leaning towards a funeral parlor scene with some scares. I'll need to construct 4 more 4x8 wall panels, one of which will have a drop panel scare. We already have most of the props we'll be using. I'm looking forward to a much easier/quicker set-up and tear down, as well as using about half of the lighting and cords we've been used to.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I can't speak for others but I make all of my own lights. I use MR16 for spot lights and 10MM, 5MM, & 3MM individual bulbs for eyes and various other applications.

I just searched ebay for "LED 5MM 12V wired red" and found 20 bulbs for $2.69 or ~$.13. Buy 50 and the price goes down to ~$.12 each. Other colors generally cost a little more, but are still very affordable. Red MR16 @ 360 Lumin start at $4.39. 10 MR16 cost $3.69 ea. There are several tutorials on HF that show you ways to make a small spotlight fixture. It's easy, kinda fun, and proves YOU can execute simple electronics safely.

I don't think many (anyone else?) uses a Malibu light transformer for power, but it works well for me. Essentially, I have two wires that wind through the Haunt and get spiced into at the various LED locations. Almost all of the lights you see in the pic below hook up to the transformer by the two wires.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Due to a death in the family, we did not have a haunt this year. We were 97% done but things stopped on October 14th and my time was spent else where. I am trying to get my spouse to NOT put all the walls back into the storage trailer but move them to the third bay of the garage and use the same layout we started with this year for next year. I am making a Medusa using one of the "tentacle" headbands I saw in the stores this year. I will spray paint the expandable mesh tentacles, glue the ends for the snakes' heads and put very small jewels on the heads for eyes that should glitter in the light. I am going to add several more eye bolts to the FCG armature that I had modified for a flying crank spider a couple of years back. The snakes should be able to give motion to her hair and I am going to run a small air hose to her mouth so she hisses at the ToTs.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I like your idea alot, but you had better include a poster of the front of the model kit for reference. None of the kids today even build today's models (between video games), so they won't get exactly how cool your haunt is. You might want to consider including some character from a current video game (?) to hit a larger TOT target.

Anybody remember the old "Aurora Monsters" and similar model kits by other makers ?
I have been putting a lot of thought into replicating them in 1/1 scale (full size) for 2104. For example

21 - 40 of 41 Posts