Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys know I'm a huge Potter fan...here's a few pics of us in costume at last night's midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. There were not many people in costume, and the crowd just loved us, lots of applause when we walked in and lots of people had their photos taken with us. My daughter acted as photographer, as she declined to dress up :rolleyes:

The movie was OK...I need to see it again before I really form an opinion, but I don't think it'll weigh in as one of my favorites.

My friend Emily came up from Richmond to go with us, because we're her only friends crazy enough to dress up like this in public!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
AWESOME!!!!!!!! Now I'm worried about what you said. A couple reviews I read said it was the best one yet, but I watched on interview on TV with Daniel Radcliffe and he mentioned an omission that I think is inexcusable. OEJ and I are going to tomorrow.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Wow really cool that you not only went to the midnight premiere but also went dressed up!
You deserved the applause you received. You all looked fabulous!

MsM

·
Evil Lord of Legumes
890 Posts
I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you Mr_Chicken. I saw it yesterday and was pretty disappointed. I'm not one of these nerds who get all worked up if a movie doesn't follow the book word for word, but adding scenes just to blow stuff up and then omitting really important plot points is inexcusable. I'll be very interested to see what other people think after more folks have a chance to see it over the weekend.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is it just me or did it kind of seem like some of the boys except Daniel Radcliff were kind of aging badly? They're only 16-17 but Draco looked like he was in his 30's in some scenes.....

I was disappointed at the lack of Snape lol. But I know that they had time restraints.... Overall, it was pretty good.

.......and yes.....I cried........

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
You know what? I never thought it would be "cool" to dress in costume for a movie...but you guys pulled it off!!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You all look marvelous! I can't believe that more people weren't dressed up. Here in Boise, it's a big thing to dress up for the midnight showing. Even the people who work in the theater all dress up!

Come to think of it, since when do us, of the Halloween Forum, need an excuse to dress up anyway?

·
Registered
605 Posts
We didn't get to go yet. I had a knee injury and didn't want to sit scrunched up in a theater. Going to go this thursday. I keep hearing a lot of things I don't like though. Lots of stuff left out that really needed to be there. From what I'm hearing I have to wonder if the scriptwriter even bothered to read the books.

·
Registered
187 Posts
We dressed up for opening night also, but only in house colors. (Mine was Slytherin lol.) I'd just finished re-reading the book which was probably a bad idea because the book is so amazing. However, I did enjoy the movie and I'm going to see it again tomorrow morning to form a better opinion. So much is always left out which sucks, but what can I say? It got to me and I cried, and I'm sure I'll go see it ten times like always.

·
lurking in the shadows
7,332 Posts
The pics are awesome! As for dressing up for a movie..well, as a Rocky Horror and Repo the Genetic Opera fan I find it completely fine and quite cool. ;)

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with you Mr_Chicken. I saw it yesterday and was pretty disappointed. I'm not one of these nerds who get all worked up if a movie doesn't follow the book word for word, but adding scenes just to blow stuff up and then omitting really important plot points is inexcusable. I'll be very interested to see what other people think after more folks have a chance to see it over the weekend.
Unfortunately ,I am seeing this as general opinion all over the net... There are 5 of us that would have to see it in the theatre so gonna be a while and still stands for me as well Azkaban has been my favorite to date :D

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, guys, it was fun.

Moonstarling, I noticed your newer Avatar and wanted to tell you that I recently watched Repo the Genetic Opera and thought it was FABULOUS!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Great costumes!

I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. In the past, I had always seen the movie than read the book, but this time I actually read the book first (it made me cry like a baby!), so I knew what to expect in this movie. I do hate that some crucial things were omitted, but a movie usually never truly follows the book. I thought the ending happened to quickly, it felt rushed.

But other than that, it was really one of my faves! Now, I'm ready to start reading the final book!

·
lurking in the shadows
7,332 Posts
Thanks, guys, it was fun.

Moonstarling, I noticed your newer Avatar and wanted to tell you that I recently watched Repo the Genetic Opera and thought it was FABULOUS!!
Well MHOOCH that is too cool!

A little Movie that Lion's Gate gave no promotion budget is starting to obtain "cult Status" :D If there is a Shadowcast show in your area definitely check it out you are the type of person that would have a fantastic time at it!

and again thanks for those pics and your reveiw on HP..my son came out of his room (he is 15 and an avid reader) and said, "MOM have you read any reveiws on the new movie? People are saying they totally destroyed it compared to the book...."

That made me start looking up what was being said :( Mostly not so nice things from the world of HArry Potter...

·
kakos
7,217 Posts
Hooch you know I love you dressing up! You all look great. Seems to be a theme of disappointment. I was a little disappointed, hoping it grows on me the more I see it. POA and OOTP are my favorite (the first is the first so don't really compare it to any of them).

We had a few people dressed up. There was a Mad Eye there with the eye, it was funny. A group of girls also had shirts made up with characters on them (they were annoying during the movie, shushed them more than once)

Samhain - I agree, not enough Snape. Alan Rickman is Snape, he's awesome in this part. When he was on I enjoyed those scenes possibly the most.

We also got the New Moon trailer at the beginning and girls started screaming so I shouted "SHUT UP" so I could watch it and hear it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like Half-Blood Prince, but I am always disappointed by what they chose to leave out.
I usually go with my mom, who has never read the books and I always end having to explain things they left out to her because something always doesnt make sense. But she likes the movies even so.

The last book is being broken into 2 movies. I hope this allows them to keep in the important stuff.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Oh Mamma Hooch, you all look so Stunning! You totally deserved a standing Ovation!! I to want to watch it a second time before making a judgement.
I just love Emily's costume, where could I buy something like that?
Miss you and love you dearly, thanks so much for sharing these wonderful pics:)

·
Registered
320 Posts
ah, Momma Hooch, you still break my heart by looking sooo foxy and NOT running away with me to south of the border after we knock over a couple of banks...such is life...
I liked the faster pace of the movie compared to the book...the parts they left out for me made sense..its' hard to show what people are THINKING in a movie (unless you go to that old cliche where they focus on the eyes and the character whispers overtop in an echo)
But a couple of nice jolts and the countryside looks as good as usual...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts