Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my GYS 3 axis skull and I can say I am not impressed with the customer service or the instructions on the site, I cannot get anyone to answer my emails or or answer the phone.

I am having issues with the leveling of the servo arms, and the other issue is if I have servo extensions connected to the servos and run a command the servo goes nuts and does not shut off, if I remove the extensions and just plug the servos into the SSC32 board everything is fine.

So far I am about ready to junk this thing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Can't help you with the servo leveling thing. As far as the servo extensions, here are some questions; a) How long are the extensions b) are you sure the connections on both ends of the extensions are making good contact and c) what are you using as a power supply for the servos? How much current is the power supply rated for?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I don't have a GYS skull, but your servo issue may be solved by using an inline servo booster, especially if your extensions are >24" in length. I've run into this problem with a single-servo skull when I tried to use a 36" extension cable. If you can't get GYS to help, talk to your local RC hobby store.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The powersupply is a 5V ps that came with the kit, the issue with the servo not shutting off is when I only use the extensions.

I have another question for the GYS users, here is an issue I am having, as you see in the picture the rotate server on the left and the linkage on the arm are really off set, and the other servo arms are level.

What do I need to do to fix this?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Personally, I would move the universal to the bottom hole, and mount the tilt & Nod servos from the other side of the plexi-base plate, that will bring your rotate to more of a level plain

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that is what HalloweenBob has mentioned as well. I might try a bigger spacer and leave it in the top.

Joel has taken care of me this morning with my servo issue, I really appreciate them fixing my issue.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
What was the problem with using the extension cables on the servos?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dr M, I have one of these skulls and have the same problem. If you use the center hole the nod linkage is really offset. it seems like where the tilt and nod screw into the axis rod is to long. Do yours line up?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I get home tonight I am going to do what HalloweenBob told me to this morning, I am going to mount the tilt server from the underneath, then I am going to swap the linkage for the tilt and nod, that should get them level.

I know have this in the center hole, and when I try what he told me it should help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mounted the tilt servo on the right from underneath and it has fixed the arm and made it level, I used the bottom link arm.

But for the Nod servo, I cannot mount it underneath because the arm will not clear the inside bottom of the opening for the metal bracket. So I am curious if this is ok, or look for some other idea.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Like I said earlier, I think if the part of the axis rod where both linkages get mounted was not so long, the tilt servo could stay on the other side and both connecting linkages would be fairly level. My nod looks like yours and works fine
Rick

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am going to use a different servo linkage arm and mount it to the bottom of the servo arm, and that will level it out.

Now I just need to find some VSA routines so I can test this out. I do not know much about VSA.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier.

I believe that I have given you a good solution to the problem, and please do post a picture when you are done.

I have tried to answer email and phone messages as quickly as possible. I'm sorry you had to wait before getting help.

Please let me know if you have any further problems.

By the way, if you still need some routines to test, let me know. I will help you out there.

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Bob, I appreciate your help, I ordered a new arm like you suggested from servocity, but they no longer will carry the HD version so I got the standard.

I sure could use a sample routine or two, when I take a wave file and put it into VSA, I cannot get the mouth movements to detect using wavemotion analaysis. I used Gold Wave to convert the MP3 to a wave, but just not having much luck.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The standard arm will work fine.

I have sent you a couple routines to try out. Please send me the audio file you were working with. I wonder if the amplitude of the file is not high enough or if there is a lot of background noise.

Also, for you and for everyone else that might be having issues with programming, please review the tutorial on VSA programming here: Assembly Instructions for 3 Axis Skull

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
HB are you going to put the fix up on your web site? I think this would be helpfull info for others with the same problem.
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yes. Hopefully markk96 will share his pictures and I will put it up as an alternative alignment for those that are having that problem.

Keep in mind that I am not sure why he has that problem. It is not happening to everyone.

Bob

1 - 20 of 36 Posts