Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I posted pics of a Gypsy Woman sculpt I was working on, here are a few pics of a painted version. Hair still needs to be applied.

Thanks,

Jim
Out of the Dark Studio

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes very nice work you do this for a living?and the hair I'm not sure if I would add any it looks right with out kinda like a very old bald woman. If your not sure put a wig on it first then see.but I'd vote leave her bald.It's some thing diffrent.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Amazing work Jim, as always.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I have a few questions about your work. Personally, I love this type of stuff and your work is outstanding. Do you make a clay sculpture first and then put the laytex over it to make the mask? Then pull it off and invert it? I have fright props by us but, they will not ship their laytex if it's below freezing. Well, that's about 5 months here so it's hard to get.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A few answers to your questions:

* I teach the only high school program of its kind in the country. Kids spend 36 weeks working with materials used in the entertainment and movie industries. So, I spend my days teaching art, and my nights trying to start a prop business with a buddy of mine. If you're looking to have something made, consider having my students fabricate something for you. Check out our program's website: BHSFX - Berea High School Visual Effects and Design (all work created by high school students).

* To make this type of piece, you start with a clay sculpture, make a mold using a gypsum plaster, than pour latex into that. Much like paint in a paint bucket, the longer the latex sits in the mold, the thicker the "skin" of the mask will be. We typically leave the latex in the mold for 10 minutes, than pour out. What's left inside is your mask. When that's dry, pull out and paint.

Jim

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
ok, I just want to make sure I get this right. You make the clay sculpture, then put that into a gypsum mold. Pour in the gypsum and let harden. Then seperate and pull out the clay sculture. Then band the gypsum mold back together and pour in the latex. Fill it with the latex and then after 10min. pour it back into the bottle. Is this pretty much the general idea? Do you spray the clay and gypsum with something so the other materials don't stick to it so it seperates easier? Any good books to read up on how to do this?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Okay, I live in Massillon. I'm 35 years old. I am married with children...........But I am soooo enrolling on your high school!

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Okay, I live in Massillon. I'm 35 years old. I am married with children...........But I am soooo enrolling on your high school!
Total WORD on that! Never thought I'd want to go back to High School again, but all that pain would be worth it to go to that class. Plus I'd fail every year so I could never leave!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Thank you for the link! I think I will try it as soon as the weather warms up enough for me to order some latex. Now I need to find a bust and some workable clay. It looks like it would be a good winter project. On a side note, what do some of the masks run that your class makes?

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I think it's great that kids get the opportunity to do this kinda stuff at school..

much better than the boring old art lessons I had to sit through.

Cast a lifesize vampire in latex, or paint a bowl of fruit...not a lot of contest there really.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts