Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the Halloween Idea Factory today working on some props for this year. I decided I better get my skeleton passenger ready for the Pirate Rowboat that I stole from Creepy Creations and my new pirate captain ready for the pirate ship. As I was working on these props I quickly noticed something odd. I have two new “pose and stay” skeletons I was using for these props. Now I really don’t like “pose and stay” skeletons very much. While they do pose and stay (sort of) they never really seem to strike the pose that I want. Then, while working on these two fellows I noticed something unusual. Now I'm sure most of you already know this but....they were quite a bit different.

The skeleton on the left I purchased on sale for $39.00 at the end of the season last year from Walgreens. The skeleton on the right I purchased a few days ago for $29.00 at Home Depot hardware store. Here are the most glaring differences I noticed between these two skeletons.

two skeletons 2.jpg

1: The spine

The spine on the Walgreen skeleton is quite a bit smaller that the spine of the Home Depot skeleton. Since I like to hide the support PVP pipe for skeleton props inside the spine this is a problem since the spine of the Walgreens skeleton is so small it is not possible to insert even a ½” PVC pipe inside.

Walgreen Spine
Walgreens Spine 2.jpg

Home Depot Spine
Home Depot Spine 2.jpg

2: The Shoulder

The Home Depot skeleton has a “Ball and Socket” fitting that allows the supper arm to be positioned and then tightened in place with the screws holding the shoulder in place. On the Walgreens skeleton the shoulder is a ball fitting through a hole in the shoulder.

Walgreen Shoulder
Walgreens Shoulder.jpg

Home Depot Shoulder
Home Depot shoulder.jpg

3: the Elbow

The Walgreens elbow has a slot that the elbow fits in and is secured with a screw. Therefore the elbow only moves up and down. On the Home Depot skeleton the elbow is a “ball and socket” fitting that allows the lower arm to rotate and go up and down. This design allows for more position of the lower arm.

Walgreen Elbow
Walgreens Elbow.jpg

Home Depot Elbow
Home Depot Elbow.jpg

4: The Hands

The hand of the Walgreen skeleton is not attached with a “ball” fitting at the lower arm like the Home Depot skeleton has. Rather it is a “slot” with a screw through it attaching the hand to the lower arm. Therefore, the hand cannot be rotated to the “thumbs up” position. You must have it either in a “palm down” position or by removing the screw and turning the hand then replacing the screw it can be placed in a “Palm up” position. On the other hand, the Home Depot skeleton has a “ball” fitting at the wrist that allows the hand to be rotated 360 degrees without removing any screws. Now this skeleton can actually “hold” something with the thumb up position.

Walgreen Hand
Walgreens Hand.jpg

Home Depot Hand
Home Depot Hand.jpg

7: The Hips

The Walgreens skeleton has a “ball and socket that is help in place by a spring loaded bold. The bold can be tightened to hole the upper leg in position if necessary. The Home Depot Skeleton has a ball and socket mechanism but it is a “ratchet” mechanism. It holds the upper leg in place but it cannot be tightened without removing the screws holding the joint together.

Walgreen Hips
Walgreens Hip.jpg

Home Depot Hips
Home Depot hip 2.jpg

6: The Knees

The knee joint on the Walgreens skeleton has a bolt that allows the knee to be positioned and then the bold tightened to keep it in place. The Home Depot Skeleton as a “ratchet” mechanism similar to the hip joint that allows the lower leg to be positioned, but like the hip, it cannot be tightened without removing the screws holding the joint together.

Walgreen Knee
Walgreens knee.jpg

Home Depot Knee
Home depot knee.jpg

7: The Feet

The Home depot foot is a little more realistic with separated toes. The ankle has a “ratchet” joint like the hips and the elbows. The Walgreen skeleton has feet with the toes fused together. The foot can be positioned and then held in place by tightening the bold that is through the ankle.

Walgreen Foot
Walgreens fppt 2.jpg

Home Depot Foot
Home Depot foot.jpg

In comparing the two types of skeletons I prefer the one from Home Depot. It is somewhat more realistic (that is as realistic as a plastic skeleton gets I guess) and the mechanism that allows the skeleton to “stay” in place is quick and easy to adjust. This skeleton also has the red LED eyes that many haunters hate but there is a switch can turn them off if you don’t want to use them. On this skeleton I simply used two eyeball blanks that I got from Monster Guts, drilled a hole in the back, and glued them over the red LED lights. This gives this skeleton large, glowing red eyes that I happen to like for this guy as he will be the captain of my pirate ship and he will be glaring down from the helm on the guests at the Haunted Forest.

There may be other differences between other "post and stay" skeleton brands. These are just the main differences I noticed between these two types. I just thought I would mention there are differences between brands so when you are looking to by skeletons you will be aware there are differences. I didn't know this. I thought they were all the same. Silly Me :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is my first year doing skeletons and I ordered 2 from Home Depot. The price was right and they shipped them about 2 weeks before they estimated which was like Christmas in July lol. I was under the impression the HD skellies were Pose-N-Hold style not Pose-N-Stay like Costco and Walgreens carry. Not knowing the difference really I went the cheap route lol and I have to say they have been really easy to work with for corpsifying and for stripping down into a ribcage for a pumpkinking/scarecrow. I like everything about them except I do wish the ribs were just a little thicker. Too much heat and they will disfigure pretty easily just from gravity pulling on them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great comparison! i work at home depot and i noticed these differences my self. only problem is at least with the ones we have at my store is that the head doesn't move and though the hand does have a ball socket it can not be rotated because there is a screw holding it inside. dose the one u have move freely? if so then some were screwed down for some reason. something to look out for if your picking one up.

even though the head doesn't move it is a great deal and i plan on picking up a couple my self.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Great comparison! i work at home depot and i noticed these differences my self. only problem is at least with the ones we have at my store is that the head doesn't move and though the hand does have a ball socket it can not be rotated because there is a screw holding it inside. dose the one u have move freely? if so then some were screwed down for some reason. something to look out for if your picking one up.
All you need to do is remove the screw, position the hand where you want it, drill a new hole and re-insert the screw.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The wording "Pose and Stay" is specifically the Crazy Bonez brand - Costco, CVS, Target, and Kroger have had them or currently sell them. "Pose and Hold" are all other brands -Home Depot, Big Lots, Walmart, At Home, Walgreens, Michaels to name a few, all sell this type. Of all of these some may or may not have LED eyes.
I will say the ones from Big lots and Home Depot are the same as each other and a little different then the other Pose and Hold because they have a ball joint at the elbow and giving more options for poses but they seem to break really easy....that is a bummer.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
The wording "Pose and Stay" is specifically the Crazy Bonez brand - Costco, CVS, Target, and Kroger have had them or currently sell them. "Pose and Hold" are all other brands -Home Depot, Big Lots, Walmart, At Home, Walgreens, Michaels to name a few, all sell this type. Of all of these some may or may not have LED eyes.
I will say the ones from Big lots and Home Depot are the same as each other and a little different then the other Pose and Hold because they have a ball joint at the elbow and giving more options for poses but they seem to break really easy....that is a bummer.
Yeah, I thought that too but the ones from Home Depot say Pose N Stay clearly on the tag. skeleton tag.jpg

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Madame Leota and Mike & Tiff, I was actually using the "Pose and Stay" as a generic term for these type of skeletons but when I was photographing the two guys I also saw that the tags on both the Walgreen skeleton and the Home Depot Skeleton clearly say "Pose and Stay". Although it actually doesn't really make any difference in the long run.

KIndo, You are absolutely correct that to rotate the hand on the Home Depot skeleton there is a screw that must be removed. However, actually there are two screws at the wrist that must be loosened. But these screws do not keep the hand from rotating. If you loosen the screws at the wrist and take the hand out there is a small pin going through the ball attachment of the hand. I am assuming this was put in place to keep the ball from popping out of the wrist like it will on some skeletons. When the hand is in place with the ball in the socket the pin that goes through the ball rests in a slot on either side of the ball thereby keeping the hand from pulling out of the wrist AND keeping it from rotating. But if you remove this pin and put the hand back in place it will rotate freely. I was just pointing out that the hand on the Home Depot skeleton can be rotated whereas the Walgreen skeleton can only be palm down or palm up and you have to remove the screw to even do that. I should have been more precise. You are also correct regarding the head. While both skeletons have a lower jaw that articulates the head on the Home Depot skeleton does not turn from side to side but the Walgreens skeleton's head can be turned to the side. I should have included this in this thread as well. I actually like the fixed head as usually I have to do something like glue the darn thing in place to keep it from flopping around. :eek: Thanks for mentioning :D By the way that animated witch at Home Depot is awesome I think. Especially when considering the very reasonable cost. I have a thread here showing it working.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Why don't we just call the other Pose-n-Stay skeletons "Posers" ? :) I bought two "Posers" from BuyCostumes.com about a month ago, but I'm not sure which of yours they are similar to.

I never worry about the movement, because I can always modify it to bend like I want with a hacksaw, drill and some screws.
I'm just happy we can now buy a realistic looking skeleton for around $30-$40, instead of the old days where it was buy a real Bucky for over $100 or use the super-cheesy Bluckies from Big Lots.

Times are good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts