1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
while i THOROUGHLY disagree with government interference, the display IS pretty overdone and might present a safety hazard....or...ok, i am paranoid...a great place for a crazy serial killer to hide and kidnap unsuspecting people wandering through.

don't get me started on puckwudgies.

·
Registered
979 Posts
How sad!!! And not just because this is a fellow haunter. Last year he collected $6,500 in donations for Gigi’s Playhouse, which provides educational and therapeutic support to those with Down syndrome.

I'm an old man now but what happened to people being tolerant of their neighbors?

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Sad indeed!! Not like it's left up all year round. Ruin stuff for the kids & Gigi's Playhouse.
Perhaps he could ask his neighbors if he can spread to their yards?

Reactions: ooojen

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If I were him, I would measure the footprint of every decoration out there and determine a precise square footage of the decorations being used. I would guess it would come out to about 50% of his yard. Failing that, I would file an appeal, then request a hearing, as these usually take 30 days or more to get processed and scheduled. By then Halloween is over. :)

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
His display was MASSIVE and took up every square inch of his yard. That pic is only a portion. He lives on a cul de sac. The decorations extended out into the front and on the other side of the garage as well. And then he has an extensive evening light show. I love Halloween so I would find it cool to live next door. But if you didn't, I think it would drive you crazy. And it brings in big crowds blocking the entire cul de sac. A lot of YouTube videos, it was a popular neighborhood attraction. At one time, he also did an Easter display just as massive, but Halloween won out in the end.
Yard in the daytime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q38hWYPdOY
Evening light display https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vWChPYkuwA

·
Registered
Carpe Noctem
476 Posts
Our HOA actually encourages our display, to the point of letting us use the empty half-lot next door for the inflatables. We are a corner house near one of the entrances and they like that we make the neighborhood look good!

If his has a lot of noise and lights I can see where folks may complain. One of our neighbors did a Christmas musical display a few years ago that nearly drove us bonkers (you can onlyhear a tinkly, toy piano version of Rudolph so ,any times before you go Insane!)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Our HOA actually encourages our display, to the point of letting us use the empty half-lot next door for the inflatables. We are a corner house near one of the entrances and they like that we make the neighborhood look good!

If his has a lot of noise and lights I can see where folks may complain. One of our neighbors did a Christmas musical display a few years ago that nearly drove us bonkers (you can onlyhear a tinkly, toy piano version of Rudolph so ,any times before you go Insane!)
That Christmas display sounds terrible. There's one in our town that does a light display set to music, but you have to tune to an AM channel to hear the music. That seems like a good way to do something and not annoy the neighbors. We've talked about getting a system set up to do something like that and using it for Halloween and Christmas.

As far as this particular haunt, I think it's sad that it's been going on so long and they just suddenly changed the rules. Especially knowing that he collected money for charity.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I can see this one from both sides. Even being the Halloween lover that I am, I have to admit I would not want to live next door to this. There is such a thing as too much! I don't understand the desire to fill every inch of space with stuff. It just becomes clutter because you can't focus on anything.
Now, as a property owner, I don't want anyone dictating what I can and can't do with my own yard. But that's what HOAs do and you have the choice to either buy into the neighborhood or not.

·
Registered
526 Posts
SAD. I notice that they say lights are excepted, I'd guess that's the loophole for Christmas. Don't get me wrong I love Christmas... but it's not the only holiday. Let the kids have fun and see something amazing. Since this rule was supported by killjoy neighbors, I would be tempted to use their exception against them. I would do a small group of strobe lights pointed straight into each of their windows.
My brother lives near a culdesac with an extreme Christmas decorator, but the neighbors have embraced him and joined in the fun. Why cant people do that for Halloween?!?!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was on the board of an HOA. Getting new rules requires significant effort and the agreement of most of the members. I have to wonder if they can even enforce these rules.

Reactions: Bethany

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
At first I thought this was going to be about literally shutting down a yard haunt but it's not.

No secret here. I'm not a fan of extreme decorating for any holiday so that shapes my opinion of this article. The Naperville Haunter has some nice props in there and if you watch the video it's clear he made an effort to create small sections of related props. However I am one of those who believes less is more, white space is as equally important overall, so for me even as a halloween lover I would want to see it scaled back. While I haven't been decorating for 18 years like he has, I too have amassed a large collection of props given our front yard size but would never even consider setting them all up on my lawn at the same time. Personally I would much rather go see a display with less props like Rania's or Terra's yard displays, so tastefully and creatively done, and one that gives me a chance to really take in and enjoy the mini scenes rather than being overwhelmed and distracted by sheer numbers of other props.

This new HOA rule should NOT stop him from decorating at all. Not if he truly loves halloween and wants to decorate. He has one month before and one month after to set up and take down which I think is reasonable especially in colder weather areas. He should look at this as a challenge to create scenes with some of his great props that will engage the public all the same to come out to see his yard and if they truly are supportive people, they will donate to the charity all the same. Did the local press say if he is still decorating?

·
Registered
518 Posts
My range of acceptance of "DISPLAY" is from one pumpkin to extreme (leaning to the go big or go home)., even if its Blow Molds and/or Inflatables! :)
I know a lot of what I display, ONLY I realize its there, the kids are focused on getting the Candy and I could display less and most would not even notice.
But that said ,I get the neighbors being annoyed with traffic, people and noise. What we don't know was there any approaching the owner prior to the "new" rule. I hate when my street gets parked up, or the neighbor's kids setup in the driveway to jam, but that is all part of having neighbors.
With power, whether town hall or HOA, you can set rules and that is what was done. Yes, the owner can still setup and a smaller setup will be easier to manage. But, the owner KNOWS they have been targeted. The new rule WAS written 30 days prior to 30 days after a Holiday, why not just a total of 60 or less days, protecting Christmas displays? My heart goes out to the "Napierville Haunter" and I hope they continue to do decorate even if they take a season off or go smaller.
This is not unusually, for a home haunt to grow and grow until its own success (or exhaustion of the owner), things have to change.. Which is why I DON'T do any posters, or facebook, etc. about my yard.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wrote a letter on my blog to him. <link to it

I do feel like he could STILL decorate with the new parameters and STILL have an amazing display.

This doesn't have to be all or nothing and it's unfortunate that he feels like it does.

Even if I had and HOA (I don't) and they told me I could only have 3 tombstones, 4 skulls, and a pumpkin, I would make them the BEST DAMN 3 tombstones, 4 skulls and pumpkin I could.

I just love Halloween too much and the kids really do look forward to it.

It's unfortunate that he can't get past the hurt and keep his eye on the prize. Celebrating Halloween.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,463 Posts
Gee,that yard is something else! I'd have to agree he's got WAY too much on display. Not that the HOA should have any say in the matter. It's his yard.
But, if I had that many props I'd rotate them---put half out one year, then the others the next. Spread them out a little bit.
There's just so much that the yard looks "junky".

Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts