Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I ordered this guy from GrandinRoad thinking since he has a microphone (audio in) that I'll be able to change out the microphone for an iPod with a recorded sound track as the audio in, similar to when OpenTrackRacer hacked the White-Haired Guy Spirit Ball, with remote microphone, using an mp3 player. We did his hack back then and it was pretty easy using his great tutorial. I'm sure the set up will be somewhat different since this is a corded mike but do I have it correct that this will be possible with just a little effort? Not very electronic savvy.

GrandinRoad's Chuckie the Interactive Dummy

GrandinRoad has a "40% off with Free shipping offer (Code XXW33840) on halloween items, including him, up until midnight ET today so he's just under $30. Plan to use him for my carnival theme and if I can get him to say what I want without the microphone he'll end up being a pretty cool prop.

Doable? Any problems I might encounter since the microphone has a cord? My order is being processed today and not sure yet when he will arrive. It would be perfect I think if he has a audio in jack and a plug in microphone in which case can I just use a cable with my iPod and simply plug it into a jack in the base of the prop? Won't know if the mike is hardwired to the base until he arrives.

·
Registered
394 Posts
GOS: I received my Chuckie today. I just set him up, and he is awesome! He's really tall, freestanding with a nicely molded rubber face. Its better than I thought from the photos. His hand is molded to hold the microphone - and also works to hold a plastic knife from the dollar store. The arms are posable. As you suspected, he uses a plug-in microphone with a standard audio jack, so you can simply replace the included microphone with any MP3 player to make him say whatever you want, no hack required. I'm not very electronic-savvy either, but this is idiot-proof. He changes the pitch of the audio input a little, so you'll have to play around with your voice a bit to get the tone you want.

I'm really pleased with this purchase, especially at 30% of the retail price plus free shipping. My only complaint is his clothes. His little suit with bowtie is detailed nicely enough, but its made of cheap nylon that doesn't drape very well - and since he has only a limited internal structure, the draping of the clothes is important to cover the parts of his body that don't exist. However this is really a nitpick I have with almost all halloween props since they all use the same cheap nylon, its not specific to this prop. Its good enough, and I think if I add a strategic patch of velcro here and there it should solve the issue.

I put one photo below of the audio jack, but let me know if you want others.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just checked the GR page for this guy, and it says the suit is satin - on closer look, that's accurate. I still think though that a heavier fabric that drapes better and doesn't wrinkle so easily would have been a better choice for this prop.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes! So glad to hear that it's a plug in Aux jack for audio!! Thanks for the info and photo MonsterSquad. Mine should show up tomorrow and if he does I might be able to use him as a talking Hotel clerk but I'm really pressing it with time and have no idea what to make him say. In any event he will be wonderful for my carnival theme. Always looking for talking props. Sounds like he is the buy of the season however from Grandinroad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts