Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.......I am hoping someone here can give me some direction. I am making some groundbreakers and have a question in regards to the paste used for mache. I have used carpet adhesive...but it seems to never dry and stays tacky unless painted. I have also used the traditional elmers and water paste which works pretty well. Does anyone know what pumpkinrot uses for his mache????? if you know what he uses for his paper, and paste, please let me know. Thanks alot and happy haunting!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pumpkinrot groundbreaker technique

I also would like to know what Pumpkinrot's technique is.
His groundbreakers (as well as much of his work) are excellently crafted.
I am going to experiment with paperclay and celluclay this year as the
traditional paper mache is soo time consuming (don't get me wrong, the finished product is still very satisfying).
I'm starting almost 11 months early and still feel I might not have enough time for all that needs to be done.
Once again, thanks to those whom have welcomed me here (I'm new to the forum). I'm looking forward to next year!!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I believe rot uses latex, but not entirely positive. I remember looking into it last year, but I dont remember the outcome.

Personally, I use the Elmers Glue with Paper Towels. I use a fan for drying and can generally complete a corpse in about a week (working a few hours a day in the morning).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your groundbreakers are really good. Checked your website, looks like your project section is under construction (nice web site). What technique did you use to get that fibrous look. Again, great props and user friendly web site.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks! I use strips of paper towel about 3/4" wide. I dip the strips in my glue mixture, hang them on a rack to drip off the excess, and then twist them before applying them. I hope to get started on a new corpse this comming week, which I plan to video tape for a how-to vid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
SKAustin, thanks for the tip. I never thought of hanging my strips to drip off the excess! Seems that way I could get a whole lot soaked and then hang'em out.
Your idea of video taping the next project would be extremely helpful to all of us.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
There was a thread not so long ago here on the forum where somebody asked if there were any Pumpkinrot tutorials around. I don't think we managed to come up with any.
If you're not familiar with Stolloween, it may well be worth checking out his site, here:
STOLLOWEEN The Basics
Scott is, in my opinion anyway, the master of papier mache and he gives some good advice and recipes for papier mache on his site.
When it comes to groundbreakers, my advice would be to experiment. It's virtually impossible to get it "wrong". Explore lots of techniques. use your imagination and don't try to adhere too closely to rules.
Variety, as they say, is the spice of life (or death, in this case).

Good luck with your projects.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Baron, you are right. Really, the victims don't really care to stop and critique, they are too busy looking to getting to safety as soon as possible!
Unfortunately I believe us haunters, creators of terror, are at times perfectionist to our own demise.
Every creature I bring to life it seems I am it's biggest critique.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts