Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Master of my own Universe
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of my new ground breaker coffin, which will be the feature of the next tutorial in the halloween prop building group

For those interested, the tutorial will begin posting in the next couple of weeks :D

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Herman Secret, took a look at the tutorial on your web site and was able to build my own version of your ground breaker coffin in about two hours!!!

I admit, I cut a few corners -- didn't put in all the corner bracing in the main coffin, but I still want to thank you for your very detailed tutorial. The diagrams and dimension charts made building the coffin very, very easy.

Here are a few pics I took of my build.

Below: this is the scrap wood from an old pallet that I thought I would use. I used pallet board for the lid of the coffin and two lengths of old fence board for the sides.

Below: the lid construction with cross braces.

Below: finished lid and cut back panels for coffin.

Below: completed groundbreaker from the front.

Below: completed groundbreaker from the side.

·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great job on the build TK, that the pallet wood lid looks better than mine !!

Glad that you found the tut of some use ... btw, keep the offcuts from the lid build, I will showcase a different lid using them ;)

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Great job on the build TK, that the pallet wood lid looks better than mine !!

Glad that you found the tut of some use ... btw, keep the offcuts from the lid build, I will showcase a different lid using them ;)
Thanks, HS, I couldn't have done it so clean and quick if noy for your very clear tutorial. I owe you thanks for that one!!

I'll hold onto my "extra bits" and see what you come up with. :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Here is my ground breaker coffin. It got finished last weekend. I think my roommate did a Great job! :D
Now all I have to do is stain it and it will be ready for the big night!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Another great idea!

I can see that I'm gonna have to stop coming on this site because the more ideas I get, the less I actually do myself!

Again, a simple but very effective idea - imagine a whole garden full of them, all at different angles, some with skeletons coming through the broken lids, fog creeping silently around them with some well placed lights?

Maybe I should forget I ever saw this, but with an unlimited supply of pallets free of charge available just 100 yards away, how can I?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well Phil-the-fear if you have the time you should build a few, then you could sell them or trade them to other haunters who have what you need. There is probably a few people who would love to have one but don't have the time or skills to build one. and you would be helping them out. Just a thought.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well Phil-the-fear if you have the time you should build a few, then you could sell them or trade them to other haunters who have what you need. There is probably a few people who would love to have one but don't have the time or skills to build one. and you would be helping them out. Just a thought.

Very true. I suppose once you have the various pieces cut you can use them as a template and knock out quite a few in no time!

·
Registered
22 Posts
HS...just a few questions:
1. Does it lay directly on the ground or is it somewhat angled up from the mid-area?
2. Do you think it could be made out of foam?
3. Could it hold a fogger?

Awesome job! Definitely on my list of things to make!

·
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HS...just a few questions:
1. Does it lay directly on the ground or is it somewhat angled up from the mid-area?
2. Do you think it could be made out of foam?
3. Could it hold a fogger?

Awesome job! Definitely on my list of things to make!
The back end angles up so the very top edge is off the ground. I am sure it could be made out of foam, probably easier than made from wood ! As for holding a fogger that depends on the size of the fogger. I Know I could certainly get my small fogger in one of mine. Not sure how foam would hold up with the heat of the fogger tho... :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts