Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pull out my Ground Fogger and test. Guess what very little fog is coming out. It runs so cut to the chase. Can I attempt to flush the lines and with what. Fog cleaner ? Distilled water ? Vinegar and water mix ? I know there are other posts but I figure I'd start this one for this year. Lets talk and use this machine as the example. Here are some pictures of the fogger exposed. Lets get some input here. As you can see I've pulled the lines off so shall we connect everything back and try to flush ? DSC03786.jpg DSC03787.jpg DSC03788.jpg

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was dry, they did not leave any fluid in it. I got it from someone. I've pulled the lines and used a syringe to push distilled water through each section. It was difficult.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep got distilled water in it now and did run it for a few minutes. Now at work, will turn it back on later to let it run. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any way to properly pull the pump apart and check to see if there is junk in the system, you know crud ?

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
i've done surgery on fogger pumps ... but that was a while ago & I don't remember anything except that there was a glass ball & a spring that acted as a 1 way valve to keep the fog from going back through the pump & reservoir ... i don't think it was too difficult, there are several manufacturers of pumps

initially i followed "conventional wisdom" that i found on the internet that said to flush with vinegar & then distilled water, when i first started using fog ... the next year it wouldn't work :-( ... ever since, i've left fog juice in the machine & only had some gunk that formed in the juice & plugged things up when cheap fog juice was used ... never had a problem with froggy's :)

amk

·
Registered
328 Posts
You'll hear all sorts of techniques on this topic. What I can share are my successful methods in fogger maintenance. I've had the same various model foggers for 7 years and they keep running every night the month of October. After the season ends, I empty the tanks but I'm sure to leave a little juice in the system. Run some distilled white vinegar through it, then let it set for 10-15 mins. Run a high quality fog fluid like Froggy's through it and if needed, repeat. Never store a fogger dry. The fluid acts as a lubricant. As far as opening the pump, more often than not they will fall apart in your hand and then be unusable. When it comes to fog juice, don't use the cheap stuff. Target, Walmart juice is garbage. Even Spirit isn't much better. Stick with a quality juice. It will take care of your machines and give you a much better performing machine. When filling your machines, always pour through a fine mesh paint strainer. Harbor Freight has disposables cheap. My 3 cents.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put a half cup distilled water and a quarter cup distilled vinegar in the reservoir and ran the machine for a half hour. Now I'm going to put fog juice back in and run it again to see what happens. DSC03789.jpg DSC03790.jpg

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that I ran the machine there is little to no fog coming out, so my next step is to use a syringe with distilled water in an attempt to flush it through the system to the front. That has worked since the water is not coming out the front in the area where ice would go. Sorry for the poor picture quality there is a picture of before, which is fry, and after where the water has accumulated. Now to hook everything back up and put fog juice in it and see. DSC03791.jpg DSC03797.jpg DSC03808.jpg DSC03809.jpg

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After putting everything back together and setting the auto-timer we have fog. YES ! Now I'll let it run for a while to see if the line will stay clear and the fog continues to flow. DSC03812.jpg DSC03814.jpg DSC03819.jpg

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that link. This one is not quite the same. This is called a "Ground Fogger" on the side with a wide opening, I should have taken a picture if the frond,my fault. The pump is not the same but not off by much. I did take it apart to check the rings and the one thing I saw was the small round rubber back flow preventer that at one point I took and left out to see if the flow would increase. Wrong move there, it allowed the juice to begin to flow out of the reservoir but once the pump stopped, the juice would begin to be drawn back into the reservoir. You never got enough fluid down the line. How do I know that ? Air bubbles trapped that I could see flow backwards.
So I put the small round piece back in, turned the machine on and low and behold the juice got into the unit and after awhile I had fog. So am thinking each fogger is going to be different and it will be trial and error for each one. It has taken me two days to solve this issue and I don't feel like I'm out of the woods yet until I test it again tomorrow.
Thanks for passing the info. along slcjeeper it's good knowledge to have because I have a couple of 400w foggers and if they begin to cause me problems I can look back at this site, I saved it to my PC.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
slcjeeper here is the front of the unit and the fog is rolling out pretty well, so the repair seemed to have worked. DSC03830.jpg

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and as a follow-up another day after taking the fogger apart, clearing the lines the best I could with distilled water and distilled vinegar, checking the pump and rings, it is putting out fog the best it can. I have a feeling that this pump might go out in the future and I'll have to replace it or attempt to repair it. DSC03819.jpg DSC03828.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts