Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I've done with my Ground Breaking Zombie so far.

I got this little guy for $11 on Nov 1st at Spirit.

20161208_195825.jpg

It really sucks and doesn't stand on its own and covered in a very cheap paint that stopped any glue from really sticking to it. To pose him it removed the legs and put 2 pieces of PVC pipes in the bottom so I could mount him in the ground. I then held his arms in place and filled the joints with hot glue. The glue did't stick very well but did act as a space filler to hold him in place till I could find something better. Then I carved out the eye holes and popped in some cheap ping pong ball eyes I got from the Dollar store.

20161108_195023.jpg

Not sure why the photo keeps coming in sideways.
Next I took some great stuff and filled in the joints. The great stuff worked much better as a space filler to help keep his pose. I then put his head back on and put some great stuff under his chin to make him looking up. Once the foam dried I trimmed it down the excess. Sorry but I didn't take any photos of this part but I'm sure you get the point.

I really wasn't really sure how to do the corpsing at first so I did some testing.
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/165802-cotton-ball-corpsing-latex-mache-paste.html
I ended up doing cotton with mache past. The paste is much cheaper and easier to find then latex and gives me almost the same effect. It also dries very solid and really helps him hold his pose.

20161208_195656.jpg

20161208_195704.jpg

20161208_195730.jpg

20161208_195747.jpg

Next I plan on giving it a quick coat of red spray paint to give the cotton a bit of a flesh feel. Then it will get some good old plastic corpsing with a bit of stain to give it some rotten flesh. I may do some great stuff guts but I'll deiced after I see how the plastic comes out. I'll probably give him a bit of hair also.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
That is a really nice improvement on a cheaper skelly - I want to do that with one I bought which had a leg missing so I got it cheap. If I can make it look half as good as yours I'll be very happy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after it all dried I gave it a coat of red spray paint.

20161211_145306.jpg

20161211_145321.jpg

Honestly I thought it looked cool like this was almost wanted to leave it like this.

I then melted some plastic over it for some skin effect. I did't take any pictures of this step because I'm sure everyone knows how this works.

The plastic combined with the cotton give it a cool effect but with a bit more planning on my part could have same me some work. I ended up covering about 60% of the cotton.

Next I added the wood stain and wiped it off but really didn't like the effect. The skin was very transparent and it looked way to red. I then got out the airbrush and painted it, and repainted it and repainted it again. LOL! I'm still not very happy with how it came out but it will work for now.

20161213_190420.jpg

20161213_190451.jpg

20161213_190516.jpg

The pose it a bit forward but this can be easily fixed when I mount it. The eyes are also really white but think this will look ok under haunt light.

This project was really fun and some good practice. I've painted miniatures for years and feel that I'm a very good painter but still have lots to learn about painting on a larger scale.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Maybe you are not satisfied but I personally think it looks great. I used to paint miniatures as well. Like HO sized figures. The big stuff is way more fun. And you can improvise and discover new things. What could be better?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Idea for you:

Dribble some big globs of hot glue from the bottoms of the eye sockets and jaw line, and when they drip off the body, pull them down. They'll stretch out and give a bunch of long, thin, gross torn flesh like it was ripped away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts