Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of making several ground breakers going off the Spooky Blue tutorials with the news paper ribs and everything. Well, I am having problems with the neck. It says to use another tube of news paper for the neck but its not strong enough to holed up the head. I must be doing something wrong here. If anyone can give me some insight on this I sure would appreciate it. I love the tutorial they have, it has helped me so much.
Thanks for the help everyone, my haunt is going to be so much better because of it. audible

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
most people use something stronger for the neck and spine (1 piece). I believe Spooky Blue used wood. I prefer pvc.

As a side note, I would think that newspaper tubes would work...are you using 3 sheets tightly wrapped? What kind of head are you using?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One skull I am using is the standard foam head from K-mart. I am also using some plastic skulls I found at Frys here in Phoenix. They are a bit larger and look great, and there extremely light weight so I think they will work well. I think im going to go with the PVC all the way up into the head like you have. I am using PVC for the spine so I will try extending them into the skull. I think that will work well.

Thanks for the help and have a great haunt. audible

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I use a 12 X 12 board for the base, and attach a length of 1 X 2 furring strip the center of one edge. I make it long enough to extend into the head. The ribs are stapled to the furring strip, and taped together in front to form a sternum. Real cheap.

·
Registered
184 Posts
ok i use a half inch pvc pipe in mine . i just drill a hole in the skull and shove the pvc pipe in it. then you can duct tape it to what ever you are using for his backbone support . i send you a pic if you want just let me know

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks everyone for all the great info. One last question, how long do you make your pole for the back bone? I was going to do about 12 inches until I found it to be way to short. If you have not noticed im completely new to making these. First time for paper mache also. I will upload some pics when I have one finished. Of course if its worth taking pics of.
Thanks again, audible

·
Registered
184 Posts
12 inches is perfect . after you add a piece of 5 inch pvc pipe on top of that backbone for the neck you are perfect

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Here's a great idea from the ever ingenious Herman Secret, using pvc pipe insulation and zip ties to create a great looking neck for your groundbreaker.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/76529-making-neck-your-skeleton-skull.html

You could of course use it to create an entire spine, if you wish.
I cover mine with a light layer of papier mache followed by a layer of tp mache to add a little extra texture.
I have used this technique on all my new groundbreakers this year and can thoroughly recommend it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts