Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a friend that wanted to get rid of some old wood he had stored on the side of his house, and I found some rather sweetly rotted cedar planks in the mix. Ofc, I just had to salvage them since we were hauling everything to the local landfill. Score! :D

A little drying, a bit of milling, a piece of cell cast acrylic, a bunch of geometry, and this is what I came up with...

edit- wow those came out small. Re-upload time.

Btw, if anyone knows an artificial aging technique for cedar to cause it to grey faster, please speak up. I'd rather not leave it out in the weather to do it naturally in it's already rotted state. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Steel wool in a jar with vinegar, let it set for awhile then paint it on. There are several formulas out there, just Google aging wood for more detail instructions.
This is what I was going to suggest, however it works best with hardwoods because they have lots of tannins. For a softer wood like pine or cedar, you want to paint the wood first with strong, cheap black tea for the tannins, let dry, then paint it with the iron acetate to age it.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that looks Awsome ! good work!
That is beautiful!

Much obliged! Glad you like it as much as I enjoyed making it. Thanks for the kind comments! :D

Steel wool in a jar with vinegar, let it set for awhile then paint it on. There are several formulas out there, just Google aging wood for more detail instructions.

Thanks for the suggestion. :) As for searching, I had already. Most of the solutions I've seen so far, were far to dark to match the original silvered grey that the rest of the wood has going on already. Perhaps I'll try diluting further still than what was recommended, and giving it very light coats until the color I want comes out.

This is what I was going to suggest, however it works best with hardwoods because they have lots of tannins. For a softer wood like pine or cedar, you want to paint the wood first with strong, cheap black tea for the tannins, let dry, then paint it with the iron acetate to age it.

Many thanks for the input. :) As I mentioned above, most of my concern is the darkness that those solutions I've already run across add to the mix. Because of the acidity of the vinegar, I'm definitely going to have to approach it with caution, due to the very deteriorated state of the cedar. I'm going to have to test a bit on scrap before I finalize it on the toe pincher, this is a one shot kind of deal with no chance for screw ups. To say the wood cross on the casket is extremely fragile, may be a drastic understatement. Thanks again! ;)

Looks great! How about a lightly light face behind the glass?
I really like this! Are you planning to put a light inside to illuminate the cross or will there be something peering out at us?
Thanks Nepboard & Lizzy! Yes sir & ma'am, that's the plan. :p Working out the mechanics right now to add a skelly whom I hope to have scratching the glass in a futile effort to escape.

I already intentionally cracked the acrylic, but I thought about it, and would like to break a piece out to have the other skeletal hand grasping the cross from the inside. I already have plenty of acrylic cement on hand just in case. I just worry if I have to use it, if it'll completely eliminate the cracks, which I'd like to keep visible. No way to tell offhand, I've never used it specifically on one side of an acrylic joint in that way before.

I've ordered some green cold cathodes to light the inside, but I might switch for some (orange maybe?) LED's I have laying about depending on how it looks.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you ever sleep?
Another home run my friend! Looks great!

Only when my body doesn't give me a choice in the matter! Lol! :D In all seriousness, I'm trying to play catchup because I'm far behind due to a major health problem that nearly had me taking a permanent dirt nap late last year. It's been a long road to recovery, but I've finally regained my equilibrium & I'm feeling froggy again. ;)

Thanks Jdubbya, your compliments mean much to me amigo. Cheers! :) Oh, & I'm off to catch some zzzz's. :p

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RH showing off again....
awesome job!

Lol! Nah, just sharing the fruits of my labor. :D Thank you! :)

The work you did is awesome very cool!!!

Thanks Crazy, much appreciated! :D

Good eye with that wood. It looks like the coffin is centuries old!

*deeply bows* Thank you madame, I'm quite pleased with the results. How are you liking Austin so far? Found yourself a charitable haunt that appreciates your vast skill set, or are you taking the year off to tour the local color first?
;)

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Kind of taking the year off. The house needs a lot more shaking out than we thought (plus the resident scorpions). But, still loving it. Just today was finally able to start building a prop today for the Secret Reaper. Good Times! and thanks for asking :)

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I would just put a much more recent date on the cross, so it looks like it is a much more recent burial than the rest of the cemetery. :D

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Kind of taking the year off. The house needs a lot more shaking out than we thought (plus the resident scorpions). But, still loving it. Just today was finally able to start building a prop today for the Secret Reaper. Good Times! and thanks for asking :)
Be careful with that! I read a recent article about how the anti-venom for scorpion stings currently costs about $40,000 per dose.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Glad to hear things are working out for the most part Terra, & sorry about the new home troubles. My BiL & sister just moved into a brand spanking new home 3 weeks ago, and the water line to the sink in the upstairs bathroom suddenly let go a week ago & flooded most of the house. The builder is taking care of it, fortunately, but it's been a sign of the times even in "high end" construction for quite a while. I've got more stories than I care to remember on the subject. :/

Oh, & take a look into camel spiders (they're not really spiders btw), they'll solve your scorpion problem handily. ;)

I would just put a much more recent date on the cross, so it looks like it is a much more recent burial than the rest of the cemetery. :D

Thanks for the suggestion! The cross is actually for silhouetting in a fog bank in a different part of the yard, I just threw it in there because it was handy. :) I have a couple of new tombstones I'm working on, but I've not decided which to pair up with the toe pincher just yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts