Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have watched a few YouTube videos on people making their own burlap mask, and they came out fairly well. As meticulous as we are at doing designs I think the wife and I can make a very nice mask much like GrimStitchFactory does. I already have everything except those vintage 6 inch needles that GrimStich uses. Does anyone know what he does to make the burlap harden? Watching other people make them I think they go way overkill on their mask by putting caulk and bubblewrap inside, that also makes the mask much hotter. From looking at the inside of GrimStitch mask, he seems to only have one or two layers of burlap and then stitches the outside with a large carpet needle. The rest is just layers of paint done in stages.

My thought is that he uses a mixture of water and fabric adhesive. Another thing he may do is soak the burlap in water and make it easily moldable and then he uses spray adhesive that basically hardens the outside.

·
Registered
456 Posts
A several days ago I made some floating heads by soaking fabric in lightly thinned white glue ( elmers glue) and molded them around a skull and a foam head
Here's the link https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/197409-my-take-floating-heads.html
After the first soaking and drying I brush on another layer of glue, let it dry and did it once more. It dried really stiff. You might try that out on a scrap of burlap to see if it does what you want. I tried it on denim, a scrap of bedsheet, and a t-shirt. The denim one came out stiff enough to make a decent mask, te others were stiff and the others could make ok masks. I think spraying adhesive on it after whatever you soak it in has dried might bot be necessary, the glue gets it pretty stiff on it's own.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am going to assume that is not waterproof?

I will be making a burlap mask also, but it will be on an outdoor prop. So I am definitely in need of a more durable alternative.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am doing both, ones to wear and outside ones....so might as well make them all waterproof. I will be tracking my progress, maybe we can bounce ideas off each other.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I did what you said, or already had done it. I cut small sections of burlap and soaked one in white school glue, one sprayed with 3m adhesive and one with straight water and let them dry. Last night I bought hodge podge and I will do that today.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The elmers might be water resistant, not water proof. I haven't tested that yet. In fact I'm just assuming it isn't completely water proof, so I don't get a nasty surprise later. I plan on buying some cheap mis tinted house paint from a hardware store for a base coat to water proof it before finishing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts