Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made 2 Grim Reapers out of 1" PVC, they stand about 7' tall. I draped black hooded cloaks over them.
Now my problem is fleshing them out, so they don't look flat. I've tried fine wire mesh, but it is really hard to mold and shape.
I ended up using 2 pillows pinned together draped over the shoulders, for Halloween. But it only helped a little bit.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
I'd agree with chicken wire. You can also use some foam pool noodles for the arm/shoulder pieces. Keep in mind a cloak will hang and you maybe want a grim reaper figure to look a bit "skeletal" and bony so you don't want it too fleshed out. I take some small plastic grocery bags and stuff them with newspaper and then simply hang the handles of the bags around the neck piece in the front. It will give the chest area some body and this in turn makes the cloak or robe stand out a bit. These are two pvc skeleton figures I use outside my castle facade. The robes kind of hang loose and it looks neat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a pic of them before I started trying to flesh them out. I ended up shortening the necks by a lot. Making them more proportional helped out alot, but the body is a single PVC and when the wind blew you could see the cloak wrapped around it. The pillows helped flesh them out, but they are so tall, the bottom still had the wind issue.
Jdubbya is your PVC 2 poles or 1 for the body? Looks like you used 2.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Yup. The torso of mine is a single spine but the bottom half is two legs. I based mine on this figure from Ghostess's Grim prop. It's nice as the base makes them free standing and the two legs give them balance an proportion. Shortening the necks on yours was a good idea.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I made one this year and it was about the same size and like Jdubbya said chicken wire and pool noodles and maybe some bubble wrap.You can also use some rebar tie wire(love that stuff easy to cut easy to bend strong and cheap what more can you ask for?) and make some loops and duct tape them on areas where you feel need a little more volume.Could even do that for a rib cage/body that would be seen.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I just bought a skeleton/mad doctor prop that has a foam hoop around the body....think hula-hoop or clown costume.
It has string tied to it like suspenders and drapes over the prop shoulders to fill out the clothes. This would prevent the robes/clothes from wrapping around the center pole in the wind and fills out the shape.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll have to experiment more with the fleshing out, mabey make an actual rib cage.
I'll most definitely change the leg base to include a hip and 2 legs, instead of 1 long spine.
Great ideas, thanks walkingcorpse, jdubbya, [email protected], & Deadna.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I just bought a skeleton/mad doctor prop that has a foam hoop around the body....think hula-hoop or clown costume.
It has string tied to it like suspenders and drapes over the prop shoulders to fill out the clothes. This would prevent the robes/clothes from wrapping around the center pole in the wind and fills out the shape.

Thats a good idea. Does the body look okay or cheesy?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scourge your reaper body is similar to mine. Where you have metal pipe I have PVC. I also cut my 6' PVC in half and added a connector.
To keep it easy to break down. Instead of a flange at the end, I have a christmas tree stand to keep it up right.
Mine were for outdoors and they almost got destroyed. They would probably do better indoors, like yours.
Great job on the reaper. I like how yours turned out, looks terrifying. The head leaning foward is a great idea, I might try somehting similar to that.
That video is wicked awesome!!! Thanks for sharing that.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
My purchased cloaked woman has the same way of fleshing her out and it works really good. In this picture you can see the 'hula hoop' of cardboard that makes her hips. It is suspended by four strips of cloth (one is loose in the picture):

Here's is how her form looks. Her shoulders and front chest are a formed cardboard shape with stuffing boobies :p. There is then nothing but the center pole until you get to her 'hula hoop' hips. This easy system gives it a very fleshed out look:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used discarded egg crate foam (Points for recycling) to flesh out many of my statics. A little duct tape and spray adhesive. Also, I have used the slip on pipe insulation and duct tape to hold it in place.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Grim Reaper

Great looking reapers guys! I built mine a couple years ago and have a slightly different take on it. I took a 8 ft 4x4 and set it in a bucket of sand and then attached two pvc arms that have a 45 fitting in the middle to a 3 way pvc fitting in the center. There is a short pvc pipe that slips in through the base of the skull to keep the head on.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey, those are similar to mine. I used an 8ft 2x4 that I cut 2ft off of and mounted as the shoulders. The sholders and torso are chicken wire. The fabric is first a layer of root stop and then black cloth. I detailed with stained cheesecloth. The lanterns flickered using SimFlame and the speakers in their chests played the grim reaper track I created.

Here they are with their cloths on

Here's their insides - gotta love the $3 thift store boombox speakers!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Thats a good idea. Does the body look okay or cheesy?
Well...the only parts that are skeletal that are showing are his head,hands and feet. The rest of him is in bloody scrubs and the pants waistband is glued to the foam hoop. I like the way he's put together personally...lightweight and easily taken apart. I have a pic in my album but haven't figured out how to post :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow so many great looking reapers, and so many different ways they were put together. I have lots of ideas how to fix my reapers up now.
When I get 'em fixed up I'll repost pics. Thanks scourge, Terra, BamaGhost, camsauce, deveds2 for posting great ideas.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I made some changes, which are for the better.
Here is a before pic:

I shortened the shoulders, added a hip, 2 legs, and a 1' X 4'6" PVC base. It stands much better. Here's a pic:

Now I just need to work on the hooded robe and flesh it out some.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finished the hooded robe. Much better I think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts