Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to cut some old fence wood to use for a Halloween coffin. Right now the wood looks weathered and kind of grey, but I know wherever I make cuts the wood will be brown and look newer. Does anyone know how to make these cut areas look old like the rest of the surface? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Steel wool in vinegar for about 8 hours, brush on let dry. Add more coats to darken.

From my experience 8 hours for a grey affect. As you let the steel wool sit longer in the vinegar it will turn brown. Max is about 24 hours.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Here's a recipe for a wood wash that I got from my neighbor who is a professional faux painter. It doesn't have to be exactly measured, just somewhat close:
1-Mix Vinegar 1/2 cup to 5 gallons of hot water
2-Add 1 cup green nitrogen fertilizer pellets (found in the fertilizer section of garden centers)
3-Add 1/2 to 1 cup Baking Soda
Wash wood with mixture and you will be left with an aged grey finish.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We used the vinegar/steel wood conbo for our pallet fence and it was perfect. But that was a sort-of brown grey color. If you have grey grey then the other recipe might do better or add a tiny bit of white craft paint to the first vinegar mix. I found that took it more grey whitewash in tone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Am I missing something here.... Why don't u. Just use wood stain. Dries very quickly. And,come in lots of diff colors even grey. U can find them in the paint section at home depot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts