Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's kind of strange actually but in a way I do work in what's very much like a "rubber room"
because all the walls of my recording studio are covered in dark gray sound-absorbent material.
It's extremely quiet in here when not recording or mixing...and sometimes my wife stops in to check my
pulse and to make sure the straight jacket's secured tightly. I break free on occasion to type things like now.

My horror connection....

I... like all here I would assume, enjoy the Halloween Spirit per se and in essence, the thrill of the chill.

In real life, I create and produce all types of broadcast advertising and other custom sound, video and online work
for a living but it was back in 1995 when I got a call from a guy in Phoenix who had heard some of my "normal" work
that was airing out there.

He said he and his partner were building a haunted house and I almost hung up on him since I had never heard
of "haunted houses" beyond simple fire-hall or church type presentations etc and certainly not for profit. I actually thought
it was a joke by one of the DJ's at a radio station there.

Well, I let him talk and I'M GLAD I DID because soon thereafter I was not only producing some really wild ads for him
but also a myriad of sound-designed "room loops" and queue productions.

I couldn't get over how complex and big this "haunted house" was going to be nor how much money they were actually pouring into it along with marketing!

It was all extremely new to me and I do recall a funny moment out at a restaurant that September when a guy, who knew I did ads etc, asked me what I was working on that day....

"Well let's see," I responded, "I had to create the sound of a near dead guy stuck in a wall begging to get out." "Then, I had to create an INSECT BOY who sucked the blood of anyone walking by." "Then, I had to create the aura of a foreboding and collapsing mine shaft complete with zombies, bats, rats, dripping water....followed by a guy getting his brain drilled while strapped on a workbench!"

The guy just stared at me for a second, then looked at my wife and said, "He IS kidding right?" I wasn't but it was fun to watch his eyes.

To make a long story short, I was literally blown away to hear that haunt had 23,000 people through the doors the first year
and continued to expand to other cities in subsequent years. I continued working for them throughout their expansion for four years
and then began doing work for many other great haunts like Netherworld, The Headless Horseman, The Darkness etc. etc.

I really enjoy doing custom horror productions and whenever I had some free time, started writing and producing a few little horror or mystery tales for my own amusement. Through a friend, I got them before a producer at Sirius/XM Satellite Radio and I guess he liked them enough to air them for more than a couple years on a few of their channels.

With that said, I plan on doing more of these tales that I call Twisted Rhymes along with other dramatic type endeavors.
I just launched a website called feartracks.com where some of these fully-produced tales are available for download individually. People
in the industry have written some nice things about them and all info and sample excerpts are at the site...if so interested.

Regardless, the dark-side of the force can indeed be a lot of fun creatively and I'm sure y'all would agree! .... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Garthgoyle: That's one hell of a chair as it were...thanks for the warm welcome.

Pumpkinhead625: Thanks, glad to see the WARD has a formal wear store.

Halloween Goblin: Thanks. Great look for Spring!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Pumpkinhead625: Thanks, glad to see the WARD has a formal wear store.
Wow, now I'm feeling kind of old :D :confused: . Is this Alice Cooper album really so backdated that it's fallen into obscurity :rolleyes:?

LOL in retrospect, perhaps a meme from Alice Cooper's "From The Inside" album would have been more appropriate :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maleficent: Thanks for the welcome.

Jetskijigsaw: Thanks and no need for graphic when your name says it all. ;-)

crazy xmas: Thanks for the ho ho horror welcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts