Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks guys...I was just going to use it for back side to anchor a light fixture. I was just going to stain it, to change the color - and eventually after halloween it will get tossed. I know a little chemistry so I didnt want a explosion if I try different paints etc.
Thanks matrixmom for pointing out something so obvious that most of us forget - Safety First! That goes for prop builders and their TOTs.
HM

·
Registered
910 Posts
It looks like pressure treated decking. IF it is, the wood is impregnated with arsenic to discourage wood worms and termites. The "blue" pressure treated wood is impregnated with another chemical that inhibits the growth of mold and mildew and is rated for use in homes (damp areas like bathrooms etc.) You could use the green pressure treated wood inside of interior walls etc. but i wouldn't necessarily encourage it. Also, as Nightfisher has said do NOT burn the green pressure treated wood in a fireplace or outdoor fire pit as it can release the toxic chemical and you could breathe it in. If you are going to use it for Halloween props etc. i don't see a big problem. It's safe otherwise. Good luck!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figure if its going in a house - it can go on my wall. Obviously, no food or heat of any sort will come in contact. Im always a bit panicked bringing "used" wood from a dumpster, pallets etc. You never know what critters it may have. But now that I know this has been treated for these things, it should be ok. How do you know about pallets though? Im avoiding bringing any pallets home for my haunt this year, until the very end (near October) because I dont want to be introducing any pests into the house.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It looks like pressure treated decking. IF it is, the wood is impregnated with arsenic to discourage wood worms and termites. The "blue" pressure treated wood is impregnated with another chemical that inhibits the growth of mold and mildew and is rated for use in homes (damp areas like bathrooms etc.) You could use the green pressure treated wood inside of interior walls etc. but i wouldn't necessarily encourage it. Also, as Nightfisher has said do NOT burn the green pressure treated wood in a fireplace or outdoor fire pit as it can release the toxic chemical and you could breathe it in. If you are going to use it for Halloween props etc. i don't see a big problem. It's safe otherwise. Good luck!
they banned arsenic in treated wood in 2003

·
Registered
355 Posts
Note that treated would is very hard on metals. Halloween seems to be the one application where this would be a plus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts