Halloween Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"GREEN TOWN EMPORIUM" opens for Bradbury fans - your ticket to "October Country"...

Fans of Ray Bradbury's "October Country" may wish to greet Mr. Dark's Pandemonium Carnival Train at the new "GREEN TOWN EMPORIUM" --

-- Where you'll find an eclectic selection of quality "Bradburyana" --

GreenTownEmporium: Home: Zazzle.com Store

"Who tells you? Why, Tom Fury tells you so!"
(Oh, alright, it's me, Son-of-Thing, but Tom said I could say so... :D )

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
“First of all, it was October, a rare month for boys…

…And if it’s around October twentieth and everything smoky-smelling
and the sky orange and ash gray at twilight,
it seems Halloween will never come in a fall of broomsticks
and a soft flap of bedsheets around corners.

But one strange wild dark long year, Halloween came early.”

- from the Prologue of “Something Wicked This Way Comes”, Ray Bradbury

DarkLore – are you wholly unfamiliar with the works of Ray Bradbury – ?

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Dandelion Wine
The Halloween Tree
Fahrenheit 451
The Martian Chronicles
The Illustrated Man
The October Country
“…That country where it is always turning late in the year.
That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist;
Where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger,
And mid-nights stay.
That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars,
Coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun.
That country whose people are Autumn People,
Thinking only autumn thoughts.
Whose people passing at night on the empty walks
Sound like rain…”

Too many works to mention here, including short stories like Homecoming, and The Jar, that celebrate the very spirit of Halloween, and whisper low of the most profound primal horrors…

If you don’t know what Ray Bradbury has to do with Halloween, DL, then I suggest you get yourself to a library, or a decent bookstore, preferably with a nice selection of “dark lore” to peruse, and ask someone there to introduce you to Halloween’s greatest poet laureate.

(Of course if books are not your thing, The Green Town Emporium does offer a line of “451”-themed items… These relate to a different kind of Bradbury horror story altogether, one that sends chills down the spines of people who read.)

Happy Halloween, always.

Most Sanguine Cheers,
SOT

·
Registered
138 Posts
Considering how much I don't like reading in general....I have actually read a few of those. Though I'm obviously no fan of Bradbury.

"Most Sanquine Cheers"
Sounds like you need to lift your head out of a book once in a while.

·
Banned
85 Posts
I hate to say .. but , I thought "I" was a little touched and a bit on the "weird" side . I think that Crumpkins Pumpkins dude , went and dug out , one too many pumpkins .
Although , I do have to admit , I did like your vid of your cute pumpkins ... I liked the idea .
Your website is yet another one on the "weirdo's" list of weirds. Yes , I can see a pinch of Halloween there .
Maybe if we lived in your neck of the woods , we might understand your site a bit better .. 451 fire dept ? Not sure what thats all about .
Also am lost on JOIN THE FAN CLUB ... whose fanclub ? The Crumpkins Pumkins ? Or ????

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*Sigh...*

Considering how much I don't like reading in general....I have actually read a few of those. Though I'm obviously no fan of Bradbury.
No, obviously you're not. There are one or two of us who are, though. Pity you don't like reading, you're missing out on more than you'll ever know.

Sounds like you need to lift your head out of a book once in a while.
Really? Hmmm. Which book would you suggest I lift my head out of?

Shelly's Frankenstein?

Richard Matheson's I Am Legend?

Edgar Allen Poe's Collected Works?

Washington Irving's Sleepy Hollow?

Steven King's Danse Macabre?

The works of
Bierce?
Tolkien?
Lovecraft?
Doyle?
Barker?
Marlowe and Willie-the-Shake?

All of the above (and oh, so much more) by Mr. Bradbury?

I've never wasted a single moment of my life reading a good book.

Perhaps you need to watch less tv, and make the effort to improve your reading skills, before lecturing about a subject you're less than familiar with. I guarantee you'll be better off for it, and you may be pleased to discover that "dark lore" has quite a literary history, if you've got the chops to dig into it.

and, BoogieMan -- the "Fan Club"-thing is a feature that Zazzle posts on their shops. Only other shopkeepers can "favorite" each others' stores there. It's a bit inane, I'll agree, but I've no control over it, it's just there. I'm new to Zazzle, and while I think it's a great POD (Print on Demand) site, I'm still on the learning-curve.

I hope to improve on the Green Town Emporium's features and content in the coming weeks, but don't intend to post here about it often. I just wanted to share the shop's opening with any HF Members who may also share an affection for "Bradburyana", and who might enjoy looking in on its debut.

Most Sanguine Cheers,
SOT

·
Registered
138 Posts
And perhaps you should ask me why I chose the nick, before presuming it has something to do with the written word. It has nothing to do with the world outside.

It has to do with the accumulated facts, legends, and or beliefs pertaining to a particular person. Let's say a bookworm such as yourself, was found in a puddle of blood....surrounded with the torn pages of Bradbury's collected works strew about the room. With three chapters of Farenheit 451 shoved down your throat, your eyes removed from their sockets, and a tattoo freshly imprinted across your chest with all of the trauma a blunt ballpoint pen could produce.

Some people are more likely to do it, then read about it. Others however, would be cast in that light as a psychopath...because the stories or events that precede them already show them to be a likely candidate.

Regarding your question....I'd say Bierce and Lovecraft. Then again...the recent LOR movies were excellent...so you could get the dvds and pass on some of the Tolkien. (Of course the movies wouldn't have been there without the book. But the fact that they exist...doesn't mean that I personally had to read them for the movies to occur. I love writers...so long as I'm not the one that has to do the reading.)

I've never seen a good interpretation of Poe...so you better hang on to a couple of those. Re: Steven King...there are other's I would have selected...so ya...you can toss that one. I'm no fan of "I Am Legend"....so that one goes as well.

As for Bradbury...Rod Steiger was scarier than the book. The movie of "Something wicked.." sucked...because the book wasn't much better. So, I'll stick with the music on that one. Most of his others put me to sleep.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words....I'll stick with pictures.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let's say a bookworm such as yourself, was found in a puddle of blood....surrounded with the torn pages of Bradbury's collected works strew about the room. With three chapters of Farenheit 451 shoved down your throat, your eyes removed from their sockets, and a tattoo freshly imprinted across your chest with all of the trauma a blunt ballpoint pen could produce.

Some people are more likely to do it, then read about it.
Oh, stow the veiled threats, DL. Clearly you're looking for some spoiler action. If you're not into the spirit of this post, which is clearly intended for persons other than yourself, then kindly shove off, and stop lurking around here to show off your twee ignorance, sociopathic hostility, and numbskull opinions.

Troll elsewhere, please. And take your "blunt ballpoint pen" with you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.