Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
That was one of the first tombstone tutorials I looked at back when I started a few years back.

I still think it is a good reference but they say to use spray paint. A lot of other tutorials say to not use spray paint as it will destroy the tombstones.

Last year I made about a dozen tombstones with spray paint. I guess time will tell how long they will last.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, so this thing is years old? Whoops! I've actually only gotten brave enough this year to consider making my own stuff.

They do say in the tutorial that the paint eating a way a bit at the styrofoam helps it look weathered and that's why they like to use it.

nightriderproductions, thank you for all the links! Going over them now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Last year when I made my tombstones I followed the same approach that was in the video; black spray paint on white styrofoam.

As long as I was careful I got a nice grey colour with a little bit of a weathering effect. But if you spray too hard it will look too black and really eat away at the foam.

·
that dude ain't right
615 Posts
I used regular cheap spraypaint on areas that I wanted to look "eaten away." The rest I painted with a brush. After I was done, I did the old mist and paint trick to weather it. I misted the entire thing, sprayed brown and tan spraypaint on it lightly while still misting. Final product was outstanding.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used regular cheap spraypaint on areas that I wanted to look "eaten away." The rest I painted with a brush. After I was done, I did the old mist and paint trick to weather it. I misted the entire thing, sprayed brown and tan spraypaint on it lightly while still misting. Final product was outstanding.
Post some pictures, I would love to see how your technique turned out.

·
that dude ain't right
615 Posts
Alright, The one on the left is one of my close up stones. The right one is a 30 footer background/ practice one. I need to repaint a little.

This is a close up of the sprypaint eating the styrofoam. Gives it a good stone texture.

This one shows the "dirty" paint. If you look good, you can see the black paint smears under some of the letters. Couldn't get it to come out as it really is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is one of the tombstones I created last year following the instructions from the OP link.
Again, just black spray paint on white Styrofoam.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts