Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello master prop makers....

Has anyone ever tried to spray great stuff expansion foam on an inflated balloon? I am wondering if it will pop the balloon or will it hold it's shape until it hardens? I meant to test this outside but the temps have dropped and snow is in the forecast for the next week. I would really hate to cover a balloon inside the house only to have it explode all over the place!

Thanks!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,153 Posts
Have you seen Stiltbeast Studios on you tube ? He makes a pumpkin from great stuff on a beach ball. I have covered a 2 liter cola bottle with great stuff, and it warped it slightly. Cover it with a wet towel, to cure it faster. But you must remove the towel within 20 or 25 mins or so, or it will be impossible to remove it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've done it and it works fine. On a related note, I had an issue this year paper macheing over a baloon and then popping the baloon and filling it with great stuff. After a couple of days, the great stuff degassed or something, and the sides of my perfectly shaped head sucked in. Made a simple projectg about 1000 times tougher as I tried to get the shape back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put Great Stuff all over a beach ball last year and it was fine. I tried putting GS inside a balloon once, to let the balloon expand as the GS expanded... the end result was GS everywhere. Luckily it was outside and I had placed the balloons inside a thick, outdoor garbage bag, just in case. To be safe I'd say to wrap the balloon with a thick garbage bag or something similar before applying the GS to the outside.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I tried filling one once....didn't go so well. If it pops, you are gonna be covered in it. (and it will ruin your cloths) there are latex based spray foams out there.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Filling one is a problem because it never cures right. Outside you should be okay but take precautions, as others have said, because I've heard a few horror stories.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great stuff and balloons are my thing. I even have a post here describing it some in this forum.
You can go two ways with this... You can smother the inflated balloon and it will stand up more, or you can do it thinner but will be weaker.
The 2 types work for different projects. Last year, I made several egg sacks that were thick. After it was solid and formed, I popped the balloon, so that I could toss in a glow bracelet. With it being thick, it gives it this faint, eerie glow. And it's reusable. I just toss in another for the following year. After popped, none deflated in the least.
As for the thinner ones, I did those this year because I wanted a to create cracked open egg sacks with lots of baby spiders crawling out. So, use those gloves, and spread it on, but not thick. Once it was completely dried, I cut them open in whatever fashion . Then, I took a seem ripper and pushed it through the balloon several dozen times. Why? Because the after effect is cool. Looking into the great stuff balloon, it gives this freaky decay look to me. But even cut open, these are still solid enough to hold their shape and glue gun some webbing on the inside for more layers, and then put spiders coming out. Let me see if I can find pics of the second to show. Anyhow, hope this helps. I also create large spiders this way too. Large balloons for the body. Rolled newspapers with wire hangers to pose the legs to help it stand. eg3.jpg
eg1.jpg
eg2.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts