Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share these awesome little spots I found on Amazon. I normally use 3w 120v LED spots in my green plastic yard stakes, then dust them with some black spray paint to tone the brightness down to where I want it. I use them to highlight props so they don't get lost in the dark and stand out in the overall green wash of color our graveyard is lit with. Last year I had issues with rainwater getting into a couple of the stakes because the rubber gasket does not seal as tightly against the smaller LED bulbs as it does to regular bulbs. I had been looking around on Ebay and Amazon at ready made 120v 3w LED stake lights and finding only cheap looking lights with bad reviews when I stumbled across these - https://www.amazon.com/Moonrays-95548-Voltage-Outdoor-Landscape/dp/B00M9IULT6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1516752302&sr=8-5&keywords=moonrays+4+pack I got to thinking that maybe I could wire in a 12v mini plug on the props I use spots for and plug one of the Moonrays lights into each one. That would eliminate an extension cord for each light and since the Moonrays are small they would be less conspicuous. I was just worried that sharing a power supply with a wiper motor running an erratic load might cause dimming or flickering. Decided to order a set and experiment. Worst case scenario - I would have some little landscape lights for the yard. Got them in and I'm very happy with the size and appearance.

IMG_20180117_190353.jpg

Wired up one of these little 12v mini sockets on the motor box cover of my coffin puller prop. I just used a splitter to connect into the 12v power source. Ran one side of the splitter to the wiper motor and the other to this plug.

IMG_20180118_150417.jpg

I extended the leads on one of the lights to about 8ft and added a 12v male mini plug on to the end. I was a bit worried this wouldn't be so simple because the power source that came with the lights was 12v .05A and the one in my prop is 12v 5a. I was concerned that either the LED would immediately burn out, overheat, or have it's lifespan drastically shortened. I tested one with a 12v 5a supply it did not burn out or overheat. Time will tell if the lifespan is shortened. If any of you who knows about these things sees a problem, let me know. My electrical expertise is limited to "I know enough to not burn my house down. (I hope)" The light from these is just a bit brighter than what I normally dull mine down to and the color is a bit whiter, but other than that they are perfect for this use. I can always dim them a little more with some window tint film, colored gels, or just dust them with paint again, but these are so nice I may not go that route.

IMG_20180123_172510.jpg
IMG_20180123_174523.jpg
IMG_20180123_175038.jpg

No dimming, flickering or pulsing with the motor and the light was still cool to the touch after running for about 2 hours. I plan on adding one of these to my cauldron creep, grave digger, and foam toe pincher coffin/corpse. Going to be nice to eliminate 4 extension cords from the display!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Very cool looking lights. Just asked my electrician hubby about your concerns with the power supply you are using for this light. He said that there should be no affect on the life of the bulb or cause it to overheat. So you are good to go.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Cool little lights, thanks for sharing. Just a quick explaination on the power concern, as HW just said, no issue. It's not a problem to use a power supply with higher amp capacity for any device, the device will only draw what it needs. Just think of the 12V battery in a car, the smallest light bulbs draw very little current but the battery has the potential to supply hundreds of amps.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool little lights, thanks for sharing. Just a quick explaination on the power concern, as HW just said, no issue. It's not a problem to use a power supply with higher amp capacity for any device, the device will only draw what it needs. Just think of the 12V battery in a car, the smallest light bulbs draw very little current but the battery has the potential to supply hundreds of amps.
Kinda what I figured, but like I said, I only know enough to do anything REALLY stupid lol.

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been using these for running multiple items from one power supply. They are typically used for security cameras. They might be helpful for you if you have multiple prop lights or additional things like sound that need power.

View attachment 535034

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Female-to-4-Male-Power-Supply-Split-Cable-Converter-DC-12V-for-CCTV-DVR-Camera-/132206043368?hash=item1ec81820e8
I have a couple of those already. I make Y splitters with these and black lamp cord...

IMG_20171110_124442.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts