Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the market for a small and easy to use HD Media player that would simply loop some media files for me. I wanted to play my AtmosfearFX files without having to put a dvd player or equally bulky item outside somewhere near my TV. I saw a few HD media players on Halloween Prop sites but they wanted almost 200 dollars even for just a simple one that did nothing more than play a video, no trigger inputs or anything of the such. I came across this Micca Speck on amazon and after reading the reviews decided to buy it, and I couldnt be happier! This little guy was cheap and works like a champ. Check out the little video I made for it just to let you know guys what some of your options are if you are like me and looking for one

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Excellent find. I've shied away from video media for halloween because of the cost for equipment, but this could change my mind.

EDIT: Upon reviewing the reviews, this device seems to have a problem with improperly mounted cable connectors. Anyone who buys one, I strongly suggest that after plugging it in and getting all the cables connected, loop the cables around and hot glue them to the device casing, test to make sure the cables are all functioning, then apply glue to the junction point where the socket exits the case and the cable plugs into that socket. By isolating the cables in such a fashion, you eliminate the repeat stress that typically causes cable jack sockets to fail.

The other option is to crack it open and resolder the PC board connections to your satisfaction.

I's also love to know if the thing can handle a USB-connected computer DVD or Bluray reader. That would give it a leg up over my TvLive+.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant imagine the cable connectors would be much of a problem unless you plan to move it around alot. The connectors felt nice and strong when I plugged everything in. And yes if there was a way to power this directly off of a usb power source from another device that would be great!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it just loops, no trigger input right?
Pete

Thats right this device has no buttons on it, it only uses the remote so it would be rather hard to hack it for a trigger setup but its great if you just want a video to play on loop in a tight space for cheap money

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is JUST what I have been looking for! Only question is, can it start playing automatically on power up, or do you have to use the remote everytime?
Either way I think this is right up my ally!
Another question for anyone who gets more than one, will the remote work with multiple units or do I have to keep each remote with each unit?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I's also love to know if the thing can handle a USB-connected computer DVD or Bluray reader. That would give it a leg up over my TvLive+.
It will work with a USB connected dvd player.

can it start playing automatically on power up, or do you have to use the remote everytime?

Another question for anyone who gets more than one, will the remote work with multiple units or do I have to keep each remote with each unit?
It will play a video automatically, you have to enable it in the settings. When you power it on the menu will show for just a few seconds then the video will start to play. Its a shame the menu pops up briefly otherwise you could trigger this device via the power.

One remote will work with any of the devices as its not linked to a specific device.

For anyone concerned about the connections failing keep in mind this device is very small and light. If you connect a cable with any amount of stiffness to it the media player will go where the cables want it to go and will not stay put of its own weight. If someone is keeping in in place by some method the strain from the cables is still there. Just don't mount is somewhere without thinking of the cable tension too. I have one of these and have had no issues, but I am mindful of the cable strain.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does anyone know if these will run unattended. i.e. start up when power is applied without have to hit the power button on the remote and then start whatever video is on them?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know if these will run unattended. i.e. start up when power is applied without have to hit the power button on the remote and then start whatever video is on them?
People have said that is an option in the menu however I have not tried it yet

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got my player in and did some playing with it, did not delve deep yet but my first impressions.

Easy to use menu system
Can start playing audio or video on power up
Loops after finished playing list
Small compact form factor
5V so can be run off USB if needed

I was considering using a Raspberry Pi but I think for the same price this is a better player. Not as powerful but I don't have to program anything to get it to do what I want! Only plus over a Raspberry Pi I can think of (for me) right now is the Raspberry Pi has trigger inputs while this does not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You certainly can add this to a TV. If your TV has RCA inputs or HDMI, it's a piece of cake. Even if you have an old TV with no inputs, you could get one of the old RF converters (probably from Radio Shack) and use it on VHF Channel 2 or 3. Great players. I have 4 of them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wanted to add a comment about these. I was testing one yesterday and it just went dead. It's not the power supply as I cross checked that with my other working units. I would expect this unit ran only a few hours Halloween night and then maybe just a few hours since then. It's completely dead. I've taken it apart to check connections, but haven't put a meter on it yet. So,... I guess my point is that they are cheap and great when they work, but don't expect them to last forever. Not cheap if they only last one Halloween night. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts