Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning fellow haunters,

For some time now, a new hobby i have been dabbling in is home brewing wine. Its quite a rewarding experience when you get it right, and quite frustrating when it goes bad, trust me im speaking from experience. :) Anyways, I just put together a batch of some homemade hard cider, and will wait till October to see how it turned out!. but, if anyone else here home brews and would like to give this a try, here is the recipe i followed. Seeing as how actual cider is out of season at the moment, i used 100% all natural, no preservatives apple juice. Not sure how it will turn out, but that's the fun of home brewing.

Stuff you need:

1. 1 Gallon all Natural Apple juice. (No preservatives)

2. 1 cup raisins

3. palm full of whole fresh cloves (6 or 7 or so)

4. 2 cups brown sugar (The more sugar you use the harder the cider... don't over do it though)

5. 2 one gallon jugs

6. Racking cane + Tip, or tubing of some type.

7. Air-lock. (super cheap and makes live WAY easier

8. Brewers yeast...or bread yeast (brewers is better, but bread will do)

What you do.

1. Pour a few cups of apple juice into a pot and put on low heat. Let it simmer just until it begins to steam. (do not let it boil!!) when its nice and hot... slowly stir in your sugar, continue stirring until all the sugar is melted. remove from heat. while the mixture is cooling pitch your yeast and when it begins to foam add it to your sugar juice.

2. Add the remaining gallon of juice to one of your gallon jugs (preferably glass) , add the couple cups of sugar yeast apple mixture to the same jug. you do NOT want to fill it up to the brim. (you may want to use a bigger carboy (jug) say 1.5 gallons if you can find.

3. add raisins. you should try to fill the jug up as much as you can, leaving say about a few inches or more from the top.

4. Add airlock. now, make sure your airlock is working properly, or else you just made a ticking time bomb... literally, as the yeast digests the sugar, it makes alcohol... AND pressure in the form of carbon dioxide. The point of an airlock is to let carbon dioxide out, but not let any air in. if theres no where for the gas to go....KABOOM. no one wants to clean up sticky glass....trust me :)

5. After a week or so, or when most of your bubbling has died down..you will need to rack your cider from one carboy (jug) to the other. use your tube or racking cane for this. racking is important, because you do not want your cider sitting ontop of the dead yeast for you long, it will kill the taste. at this point, you may wish to add your cloves, until further rackings.

6. now just let it go...racking every few weeks or so, or until clear. when its clear, bottle, and age.

I have successfully made some pretty darn good tasting wines this way...but never attempted cider. will let you guys know how it turned out :) if you give this a try, let me know.. i can share my tips of brewing with anyone who is interested.

NOTE*** Make sure EVERYTHING you use when brewing is SUPER SQUEEKY CLEAN because even the smallest microbe will kill an entire batch of brew..making it go rancid :( ENJOY :)

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
My uncle brews all kinds of lagers and dark beers, but I don't think he's ever tried anything like cider.

This may be a stupid question, but what are the raisins for?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The raisins will help add sugar to the mix, which will create more alcohol as well, plus give the entire wine / cider a sweeter taste. The raisins are optional. I just made a batch a few days after this original posting, without raisins. Unfortunately I probably should of used some raisins and less sugar, as i have racked the brew 3 times now, and it is very very strong, almost to much for a wine. So lesson learned, less sugar next time :) Its still drinkable though so it will do its job lol :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot all about this post, thanks for bringing it back up HSQ, anyways as an update, I bottled my brew, and got about 3 and a half bottles. At first taste it was really strong, but I bottled and will let it sit till october, and crack it open and see how it goes. It cleared really well, so it should keep quite nice. Next time I think ill go the Rasin route to help sweeten it some :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts