Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm halfway through (the tough half, yay!) with my swingin' singin' graveyard quartet, a first for my display.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYt2A79Q0T8

I'm sorry it's kinda dark, and the audio (always, damnit!) has somehow gotten unsynch'ed, but you can at least an idea. I still need to build their bodies and their swingin' 40's costume garb.

They're going to look great in the graveyard, bouncing and singing a few old spooky tunes... enjoy-

Mike C.

·
Bog Body
1,473 Posts
woo, a new song frm mike c to get stuck in my head other than the pirates of the flying banshee! looks good! can't wait to see it done and in synch. at least you aren't putting it on a rooftop ether right? =P

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The song is a 1949 recording from Kay Starr, and I have yet to determine which band she was in at the time of the recording... as to where I found it, well, I heard this great show from my local college station, and happened to be recording it on my MD since there was some other great big band stuff playing; lo and behold, this tune popped up. Haven't heard back from the radio station about my queries concerning the band.
But it was discovering this recording of the well-known Headless Horseman tune (which Bing Crosby made famous and did best in Disney's Legend of Sleepy Hollow from the same year) which gave me the idea of doing the graveyard swing quartet.
I will have newer video soon, I've just added and programmed the bouncing servos for the guys and just that little addition adds SO much more life.
I am using Brookshire Software's 'VSA' to program and run them from the PC.
The audio got unsynch'ed during the upload, it's rock solid live with the PC/VSA.
Thanks for the pat on the back, it keeps me going knowing that, while I can wow a ToT'er or 'layperson', the actual die-hard haunters appreciate it too.
Onward and upward.

Mike C.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.S. to my buddy Batfly-
NO, they are NOT going on the roof, hahaha! GEEZ that would be insane!
But I also thought I'd add that since you have been such a kind 'fan' of the pirate stuff from the HGTV show, you might want to know that they will be airing it AGAIN October 29th, I think twice? Check HGTV's site for details. That makes it 3 years running now... I wonder why they haven't shot a newer show with different haunters; heaven knows there are a lot more out there with more skill, talent and 'extreme'-ness (osity?ishness?ibility?) than those of us who were lucky enough to get on the first one.
But hey, we all get to see Wormy T again! YAY!!!!!!!
We're calling you out Wormy, where are ya?

Mike C.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent find. I should get that whole album, haha!
Forgot to mention, way back this summer I posted a help thread asking for those foam skulls... and the awesome The Auditor sent me the very four you see in that video... that's what I needed them for!
I haven't heard back from The Auditor (lordy I HOPE he got my money in the mail, otherwise I'm dead!) but I wanted to say a HUGE thanks again to you my man!

Mike C.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Outstanding! I am so envious. With my wife being due to have our second child on October 17th, I have had very little time to play with my little haunt hobby.

Looking great. Can't wait to see the next video.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know who wouldn't enjoy that prop.
I like swing and big band music so I really enjoyed that.

How do y'all know how to do all of this stuff. Is it a hobby or are you engineers?

I am just happy if the stuffing doesn't fall out of my static Jason prop every year. LOL! I wish I had your know-how and talent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a hobbyist, trust me. No engineer by any means... you just learn while you're doing it, is all. And you also wait for technology to get more user-friendly, haha!

Mike C.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
Very cool!I am almost embarrassed to put my stuff out knowing it pales in comparison.At least you dont live near me.:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNWT8_u-Grw

There's the link for the second video clip, now with the bouncing servos added.
Again, the audio got unsynch'ed, and it's a bit blurry, but what can ya do? :)
As I get more, I'll post more.

And as far as "How-To's" go, there's not a thing I do/have done animatronics-wise which I did not learn from the Internet, library and magazines that anyone can find as easily as I did.
Honest! :)
When I get the time (which continues to elude me, even with kind offers from people on this very board) to put a real website together, you can count on it being as much a how-to as a celebration of Hallowe'en.

Mike C.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts