Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a question for those of you who have sizeable pillars for your graveyard gate/fencing. I saw a somewhat similar thread from a couple years ago regarding coffins, but I'm looking for more substantive solutions because I'm not setting up a week before Halloween to prevent the dead grass.

I made entrance pillars a couple years ago, and for the last two years I've found myself reseeding two large squares of completely dead grass each of the last two Springs. :mad: Now, while I've become an expert at growing the grass back fully, I was wondering if others have a solution where I can avoid complete dead patches altogether.

I assume I'm not the only one who has this issue. Have any of you figured out a way to avoid this? I'm not an expert, but I'm betting the cause is the lack of light, airflow, and water. I set up my graveyard in early October, so there isn't much chance of it surviving a full month with none of these.

My first thought is to drill a few holes in the top of each pillar. That should allow a fair amount of light (although not direct), airflow, and some water when it rains. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
My pillars are open on top and I live in Southern California where its almost always sunny, and I only set up about 10 days before Halloween and still get dead squares. So I do not think holes will help sadly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem with a big dead patch under each pillar. My solution was to cut square blocks from a 2x4 and screw them to each corner on the bottom. After being up for 3 weeks on only had small 4 inch dead spots instead of a giant spot. You couldn't really notice because of the grass. And, as a plus, it made it much easier to feed the extension cords in.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So its raised off the grass? I think I might try this. it drives me nuts because it takes some time to come back. Little squares would be a lot better.

I had the same problem with a big dead patch under each pillar. My solution was to cut square blocks from a 2x4 and screw them to each corner on the bottom. After being up for 3 weeks on only had small 4 inch dead spots instead of a giant spot. You couldn't really notice because of the grass. And, as a plus, it made it much easier to feed the extension cords in.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don't have to worry about it because I have no grass and I already have a fence going around the front yard and my pillars just fit over the existing posts.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Here is a thought. drill 4 5/8" holes in the base of the pillar an inch from each corner. Take 4 pieces of 1/2" threaded rod about 24 inches long with a nut on them about 4 inches down. drive them in the ground so the nut is 3 - 4 inches above the ground and then slide the base of the pillar over top of those. This will make the pillars off the grass and then you only have 4 small holes in the ground where it was. No damaged grass. Here is what i was thinking.

View attachment 564349

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,006 Posts
I just roll with the dead spots. The coffin-shaped spot is always entertaining. And it's up on casters so it doesn't actually sit ON the lawn, either.

Plus, the <expleteive> gas company dug up part of the front yard again this year to replace the gas lines in the neighborhood. So I have a big straw-covered spot prominently in the middle of the front yard. There is some new growth already, but I doubt it'll be filled in before Halloween.

They did some work a couple years ago after I'd already set up and they asked if I could move a headstone over to that spot :D

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I'm talking about. :) I'd imagine this would help considerably. I like Mapleton's idea of threaded rod too, but that would require a high level of accuracy when driving in the rods that I think might be more difficult given the weight of the pillars. Given the size I can't lift them off the ground making that solution really difficult.

lilibat - No dead grass after two months of no water or light? Do you have astroturf in your front yard? :) I'm not sure how this is possible, but would love to know how you accomplish this!

Here's a follow up question for the group. How do you anchor these suckers to the ground? I have my own solution, but curious what others do. My fear is not only the potential for a strong gust of wind, but also an unwitting kid leaning on one pushing the whole thing over causing damage to some of my favorite stones within the height's distance, or worse yet pulling it down on himself and getting seriously hurt.

Mine are roughly 7 ft tall, so stabilization is critical to avoid a major problem. With that height, the center of gravity is obviously higher making them more susceptible to blowing or falling over. No problems yet in two years with my current setup. I first stake them to the ground with some simple aluminum garden stakes, and then weigh them down from the inside with two large and heavy paving stones. This year I've ordered longer rebar J hooks that I'll use in place of the more flimsy garden stakes which I can literally bend with my hands.

Anyone else have anything that works great for you?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Joker I have similar pillars we use rebar and stakes and there is a 12 foot long cemetary sign that is on top of them it never EVER fails that after I put them up the winds come and they always end up falling down. We have tried different things. I dont know what to do to keep them up. Next year is out last halloween in this house. We are moving out of state and I will not be taking them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The base of my columns are a 2x4 square with an additional cross in the middle. Kind of like a capital H with the ends covered. I also added an access door on the back. I drilled two holes through the middle 2x4 and put camping stakes into the ground, then added a 50lb bag of sand on top. My columns are about 7 feet tall and they don't even budge in the wind. IMG_3622.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts