Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Was wondering if anyone could help me out with some ideas. I have a potion bottle that I made and labelled "Graveyard Mist". I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make some swirling smoke or mist visible inside the bottle. I've tried capturing the smoke from incense, but it eventually just condenses until you can't see it. Granted it looks really cool when you take off the lid and it swirls out, but it doesn't last very long. Maybe about 30 minutes. I want something that'll last for a few hours and that I can just leave inside the jar with the lid on. And if anyone looks inside it, they see a swirling mist.

Any ideas to make this work?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dry ice? Or you could just spray the inside with a matte finish and frost the glass, wouldn't be so misty but you could put a green glowstick inside and make it look "eerie". A friend and I tried a similar idea as your incense, only we used the wick of a candle and yeah it does just dissipate over time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dry ice? Or you could just spray the inside with a matte finish and frost the glass, wouldn't be so misty but you could put a green glowstick inside and make it look "eerie". A friend and I tried a similar idea as your incense, only we used the wick of a candle and yeah it does just dissipate over time.
I'm not sure I'd want to go and buy an entire bag of dry ice for this one little project though, since I won't be using it for anything else. I like the frost finish idea (though I would probably just use elmer's glue) with the glowstick. But that's not really what I'm going for. I would definately use that if I couldn't figure out how to get the effect that I want.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Go with condensed fog -

Add drops of milk to water until you have a translucent, white-gray liquid, not much.

Suspend a blue glowstick with a wire or string from the lid or neck so it doesn't touch the sides and reveal itself.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Just another quick thought--

You can buy mug warmers. They're miniature hot plates for coffee mugs and tea cups. So here's my question;

What would happen if a few spoonfuls of fog juice were placed in a clear bottle, and the bottle was placed on a mug warmer?

Would real fog fill the bottle? How would it work if the stopper was off the bottle? Would "fog" slowly drift out of the ever-full bottle?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas Spats. I do have a mug warmer handy and some fog juice. I'll give that a try first. If that doesn't work, I'll go get some glow sticks from the Dollar Tree and see if your other idea would work. It sounds like it would.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If I knew the size of your bottle I could be more specific. Either insert in from the mouth of the bottle, or cut the bottle bottom off, and put an ultrasound fogger in the bottom of the bottle. Add enough water to cover the ultrasound fogger and plug it in, should fog for a long time, only need to add water if it runs out. Molecules will be fine enough to act like a smoke and follow the cap when you remove it. Heck, now I want to do this.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Mike, same here, especially the fog-juice-on-mug-warmer trick.

Iksmart, thanks, for trying this out. Takes pics of all your experiments and post them, failures and successes. Ya never know when one persons failed prop will become another persons eureka-worthy discovery.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post the pics, Spats.

Mike, my jar is probably about 6"-8" high and 3"-4" wide. Just a small bottle. But I really want to draw attention to my potions collection and I thought that between this and the florescent dragon's blood it'd get plenty of attention.

Btw, what is an ultrasound fogger? How is it different than a regular one? And it'd be rather difficult for me to cut the bottom off of the bottle since it's made of glass. We have a grinder, but I think that's a bit of overkill and I'm not sure if it would work. Plus I'm trying to stay away from overly dangerous power tools (which means pretty much anything besides a dremel, power drill, or hammer) since my handyman isn't home.

Also, I've started the little "experiment" and so far I'm getting very little wisps of fog, but not much else. You have to get about two inches away from it and tilt your head to see it. So I've taken out some of the fog fluid since I think it would work better that way. That candle warmer doesn't get very hot and it'd be easier for it to make a smaller amount of fog juice hotter faster.

Cross your fingers!

-LKSmart

·
Registered
585 Posts
Oh, boy. This will likely make me late for a meeting but I 'll try to answer anyway.
An ultrasound fogger is exactly that. You buy them preassembled, too expensive to make one i expect. It is an ultrasound head that you place water on. The high frequency fractures the water and creates nanomolecules of water, or , a fog. It looks just like dry ice vapor actually. Difference is you just add water and bingo. I don't have a souce but you can google it easily enough.
There are certainly power tool methods to cut glass but you can also use a string. In your case tie the string around the bottom of the bottle and make it tight. Fill a container with ice water. Put some lighter fluid on the sting. Set the string on fire. Rotate the bottle so the flaming string is able to heat the glass evenly. Once the bottle is hot, dunk it in the ice water. It may fracture along the string line on its own. If not, tap the glass on the line, it should fracture then.
I have wanted an ultrasound fog head for some time, let me know what you think of it. (You can find video of ultrasound foggers on YouTube also.)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ok, I found the site I saw years ago. They carry Ultrasonic Foggers that are small enough for you to plop into a jar, possibly without cutting the glass.

Ultrasonic Water Fogger-The Mist Maker

I've never used them, just know they carry what I want and I am certain they can make your prop a reailty. Let us know how it turns out.:)

·
Registered
585 Posts
You could jam some twigs, vines and hemp into the neck of the jar and disguise the cord among those or.... that is where the glass cutting/drilling comes in. I have never done it, but I would think a Dremel with a stone bit could grind a hole in glass. Might take some time but I bet it could do it easily enough. Once installed, plug the hole with hot glue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not quite sure if this is what your looking for, but how about a cloud lamp?

I'll be doing one this year for my witches room.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Not quite sure if this is what your looking for, but how about a cloud lamp?

I'll be doing one this year for my witches room.
This is sheer genius.

Can you imagine that with a blue gel or colored base? Talk about Graveyard Mist, that's seriously sexy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts