Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, the past 4 haunts, I've had 2 lights (blue) pointed on my graveyard, and they are VERY visible and SO amateur!! LOL But electricity just isn't my thang. :rolleyes:

This year, I'd like to really try to spruce up my graveyard, not by adding any more props (no money this year!) but just by trying to do better with lighting and fog - two items I have not put any effort into, but since being here so much, I've realized are actually the two MAIN aspects to mood setting.

I get the colors and how to use them, my questions are much more simple!

WHAT type light fixture do you use??
What is the power source? Extension cords everywhere? (that's how mine are now!)
If it's extension cords, how do you "cover" them up??
Same on the fog machines - I just looked last night - I have 2 of the MINI machines! I didn't realize they were minis - that's why I dont get much fog!! LOL

How do you hide the fog machines, the light fixtures, the cords??

Thanks for the input - sorry these are real basis questions, but I haven't seen them addressed, just ways of setting up different lighting for effect. :eek:

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think it varies on setup, if you have a picture of your set up that would help, I use the standard green spike holders that you stick in the ground, I haven't bothered hiding those, though a simple black box could do it or any little statue, I know some people make faux rocks to hide them, as for power I use extension cords that a hide along my fence, and being in ny, I keep leaves to do a ground cover that hides all my cords. Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have been using flood lights, usually yellow/gold and green to light up our graveyard using extension cords to power them. I use a redwood mulch all over the yard to get rid of the manicured lawn look and to cover the cords. Our problem is the big streetlight across the street which lights up the whole corner, this year I may try a blackout cloth bag over it. I am looking at purchasing some LED spotlights at Monsterguts.

Lighting, Strobes, LED's - Mini Spotlight - Halloween Prop Building Supplies For The Home Haunter - Monster Guts

I am interested to see what everyone else does.

·
crossfit zombie
7,558 Posts
I hide my lights behind tombstones.The cords unless you run them underground are hard to cover just get the green ones.I can't get my lighting right either this year I bought led and they are so much richer in color so I hope it's better.I norm use 4 blue-2white-2 green and 2 red.I do have a big space but it still seems like the light don't "POP".I have made some candles this year to help with the ambient light and besides they are soooo cool.The fog machine is behind a chiller and that's behind a tombstone.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
View attachment 6431

THis is what I have!!! LOL and they are just laying on the ground!! Seriously, it sucks. I can't hardly point them, the fall over - totally suck.

When you say spotlights plugged in....well, let me go look at the link that MadDog provided....maybe that'll help me.

as far as cords - we use green and use tent stakes to keep them down, because our graveyard is out in the yard away from the house and it's a highly traffic area, esp during our party - so I have to make it secure AND try to cover it. I'd like to dig a temporary ditch and bury it...but hubby would kill me. :p

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instructions
ok MadDog I read your link - those look PERFECT!! BUt again, simpleton here, but do they have a plug in? How do you get power to them? Here's what it says:

Connect Leads to a 12 VDC power supply.
Smooth lead = Positive
Ribbed lead = Negative
If light does not light switch the leads.
Thats it just 2 wires if it doesn't work switch the wires around.

This is gibberish to me!! I'm an auditor and can read IRS Codes all day long, but this stuff just baffles me!! :D So really, someone try to help me in kindergarten terms.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
This year I have a new cemetery fence, and what I'm trying for the first time are tiki torch bottles inserted into holes cut into the top of the posts. They were on clearance at Home Depot for about 3 bucks each, so I bought up about 12. :)

Last year I simply had clip work lamps high in a tree which gave a nice moody night effect using blue bulbs, but wasn't bright enough. I didn't want to hide a bunch more cords, so I'm hoping the flicker of the torches lends a more creepy effect.

·
crossfit zombie
7,558 Posts
View attachment 6431

THis is what I have!!! LOL and they are just laying on the ground!! Seriously, it sucks. I can't hardly point them, the fall over - totally suck.

When you say spotlights plugged in....well, let me go look at the link that MadDog provided....maybe that'll help me.

as far as cords - we use green and use tent stakes to keep them down, because our graveyard is out in the yard away from the house and it's a highly traffic area, esp during our party - so I have to make it secure AND try to cover it. I'd like to dig a temporary ditch and bury it...but hubby would kill me. :p
This is what I use they stake in the ground.They also work for the led's I got.
Outdoor Floodlight Lamp Stake Light Holder - Green - String Light Power Cords - OogaLights.com

·
Registered
400 Posts
I use the clamp lights like BevAnn, and clamp them to my cemetery fence. Then cover them up with cheese cloth, and spanish moss.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you thank you Empty and Halloween71!! THAT'S what I needed, a picture!! LOL

ok, so now, I can go to Lowes or Home Depot and find them. I have a small graveyard, so I will probably only need about 3. I too am using the pvc candles this year to add to the affect.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dr Dark, I see a couple on here do in fact use that clamp lantenr - I thought it was stupid!!I tried clamping it to my fence one year too! I just felt like an idiot using it, but now I don't feel so bad! LOL :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have used the green spotlight holders for years and they work great. Like it was mentioned, just hide them behind something else like a tombstone. If you use green extension cords, no one will see them in the dark and with fog. I am switching to LED's this year though because of power consumption. Couple of pics from previous years attached.

Whispers in the Park

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OHHH!! Is THAT what that means??!! LOL Now I know. :)

Very nice Whispers!!

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Bev Ann. I use the green stake holders that others have posted but I slip a piece of metal duct over them basically making a "can". You can get a 4 foot section at Lowes or homedepot in the heating and cooling dept 6" works the best as it will fit over a standard colored flood bulb. I cut it in half to make two. Then just slip them over the flood light adjusting it back and forth until you get it how you like it. Position you lights behind a tombstone to recuce the glare and help hide the back of the light. The cheap ones from the dollar store work great for hiding the back

Some here put a back on the "can" and screw it to the lamp holder this eliminates any light showing from the back but also prevents you from having the ability to adjust the can back and forth.

I've been looking at led floods that minions web sells and most likely will get some for next year as they seem to be having some issues this year and its getting too close to order, also pretty much used up the budget for 09. Finally I like the idea of using landscape type low voltage lighting for two reasons. 1. its safe and 2 you can run just one line and tap in where ever a light is needed with clamp on connectors, easy and fast, but I've already have a ton of $$ invested in extension cords, lamp holders and bulbs...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use the spotlight holders, if I have to set one up where you could see the bulb, like if I have nothing to hide it behind, I have made something to combat that. I just get some OSB, or any wood will do, and create a box around the light, one side is open to allow the light to hit your target. I line the inside of the box with aluminum foil, I think it reduces fire risk!

·
Registered
313 Posts
again I agree with everyone else ......flood lights that satake in the ground with green,red or blue bulbs hidden with tombstonesand fake rocks.................green extension cords snaked around the tombstones works just fine ............you can also get green power strips for outdoor use that also stake in the ground ..............good luck

1 - 20 of 29 Posts