Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Years ago I built some gravestones out of plywood and attached a 2x4 to the back of each one with some nails to secure them into the ground. Well after years of sitting out behind the shed through winters and all kinds of harsh weather, they're truly rotten and crumbling, and they look FANTASTIC! Next year I'll probably look into replacing them, but until them, I need to find a new way to secure them into the ground seeing as my dad hates it when I dig holes into the yard for the plywood. They aren't the strongest things ever seeing as they've literally begun to rot and have succumb to termites. Any ideas how I can get them to stay in the ground?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am assuming they are supposed to be wooden monuments. I suggest sandwiching the plywood between two boards near the bottom edge and then nailing your stakes to those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could also put cable/pipe straps onto the 2x4s, drive rebar into the ground and then slide the straps down over the rebar. The holes that the rebar make are gone the minute you pull it out of the ground. You of course would have to cut the 2x4s even with the bottom of your tombstone.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Rebar and pvc conduit clamp, easy and inexpensive. As Hedworx stated, pound rebar into the ground and screw the conduit clamp around the rebar into the plywood or 2 x 4. I would use two clamps for each in order to better secure the rebar to the plywood or 2 x 4.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Rebar is the way to go. After many years of fighting with other solutions, chasing tombstones down the road and constantly having to repair my fence. I use rebar for nearly everything in the grave yard now and it works perfectly. Fence posts, Grave Stones, standing Skeletons. I also use two clamps and two pieces of rebar for each of my larger gravestones, for the smaller ones I find that one set suffices.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rebar is the way to go. After many years of fighting with other solutions, chasing tombstones down the road and constantly having to repair my fence. I use rebar for nearly everything in the grave yard now and it works perfectly. Fence posts, Grave Stones, standing Skeletons. I also use two clamps and two pieces of rebar for each of my larger gravestones, for the smaller ones I find that one set suffices.
what kind of clamps are we talkin' here?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have 35 tomb stones and all go in using rebar, I have a piece of conduit holder on the back of the stone and the rebar fit through it to offer support. You can even tilt the stone on angles using this option

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use rebar, but I use a plastic ziptie holder that screws into the wood on buck of the tombstone. you place it against the rebar and the holder has hols to pass the ziptie to and you can really stap it tight to the rebar. I got a bag of 100 for about 10 dollars at a computer supply store. I believe they are used to ziptie cables to walls and such but have worked great for me for 4 years now and are low profile. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
357 Posts
I believe his point was that the wood is all rotten. Solutions that require gluing something to the wood or putting a screw or nail into the wood won't help in this case.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the wood is super rotten so drilling into it won't be an option. I can work with the 2x4's on the back of them though because those are in good condition. I'll have to grab some rebar today

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am sure there is a fairly simple solution however if the wood is to the point where you can not run a screw through it I am not sure it matters what direction you take.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts