Halloween Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great ideas everyone, thanks. This place is great! What was used for the holes in the cross-bar wood? I am looking at using a spade bit. Just not sure of the size. I am using 1/2" conduit.

·
Registered
719 Posts
1/2" conduit is approximately 13/16" or 7/8" outside diameter. Use a 7/8" spade bit so they slide in easily instead of peeling back fresh paint.

Also, you don't really need super long screws. Yes, going through both walls of the conduit and anchoring into the other side is sturdy as hell, but you really won't need THAT much strength. Cuz if someone's climbing that fence and breaks it, I'd rather they break the fence, than get into the cemetery!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Regarding the post spacing question, I set mine 4" on center, but I used two different height posts that you can see in my earlier post. I start with a short post and alternate from there, ending with a short post. So on an 8-foot rail section I have 12 short posts and 11 longer posts.

I think anything in the 4-12 inch range would work, as long as it looks good to you!

·
Registered
443 Posts
To stay within budget & so DH wouldn't complain too much about drilling the holes, I have my posts 8 inches apart. On the ends I would move the hole center 1.5" from the edge so there would be less chance of wood splitting. I used 1.25" drywall screws to screw the rails to the conduit.

·
Registered
719 Posts
By the way... if y'all don't like the look of the screw heads showing, you can quickly dab over the screw heads with wood glue, to fill in the + and if the screw recesses too far. Never see em after that.

Also, pilot holes and finish nails with tiny nail heads.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you have access to a brad nailer it will go through the wood and pipe and this is a lot faster than using screws. They don't show up like screws or leave something to snag costumes on. My assembly is less than 2 minutes per section and if you need to remove the pipe it will come out.

·
Suburban Sorceress
753 Posts
I just want to say thank you to MokkNoir for posting this tutorial and everyone else who gave their input! I'd found this thread over a year ago when I was first looking for cemetery fencing ideas. I'd come back to it every few months, and finally, I got up the nerve to become a Halloween Forum member myself. I've had so much fun so far and I can't believe the talent of the people on this site! I have projects and ideas to keep me busy for years to come. Here are a few pictures of my finished cemetery fencing, which added so much to my yard haunt. I ended up doing a 3 ft fence around my front yard grass, and a 2.5 ft fence lining the walkway in my interior courtyard. Thanks again everyone!
IMG_0673_2.jpg
IMG_0682_2.jpg
IMG_0670_2.jpg

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,090 Posts
I need 60ft of fencing!!

I am pondering making a fence. My only issue is $$$. My front yard where I put my fence would have to encircle @ 60ft.And that's not even encircling it all. Unless I move my cemetery to the side grassy areas.(on the right of the car) But I think it would look strange having the focal point on one side. Any ideas for cheap fencing and one maybe I can "roll up" that much footage?:mad:

Attachments

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I know Terra uses that wooden fencing from Lowe's that rolls up. I think the fence pieces are about two feet tall and connected by wire. If you look at pics of her awesome cemetery, you'll see it.
I tried to find a pic of it on the Lowe's web site, but couldn't find it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I tried the link to Steel supply and it's dead, can you tell me what size of finials you got? They look like they are for the square metal tube and I'm assuming that they fit on the 3/4 electrical conduit. Did you order the 1" square? I need to order 400 for my fence and I want to make sure I get the correct stuff the first time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Another great method to make your fencing seem old, tattered and what not,, take a propane torch to the PVC or electrical conduit to make bends, angles,, areas of your fence where a corpse has tried to escape,,,,

·
Registered
187 Posts
Digging up this thread with a question... In your fence show here, how much rebar are you using to secure this? Are you using anything to fasten the 2" PVC to the ground?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Another question for those that have made the PVC and wood fences....can you ballpark the cost per 8 ft section? I ask because I am comparing this to some of the premade plastic fence sections you can buy at home improvement stores. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, I can't really estimate the cost of the fence. Our sections are only 3' long for storage and setup (we will have a different set up each year to keep it fresh), that and we got our PVC pipe wholesale in 20' lengths (yay for having family working for a plumbing company, but boy was it hard to explain on the order!). As for securing the fence to the ground, we used 1/4" re-bar, at about 2' lengths. We tried the 1' lengths you can buy off the shelf but they weren't long enough to secure the fence. Also, we used black cable ties to secure the fences to each other. The cable ties were hardly noticeable as the fence was decorated with fake ivy and cobwebs.

Hope this helps!

61 - 80 of 118 Posts