Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Started my fence column project this week and I am using the basic design from ravenmanor.com. Frame and base/supports are constructed from 2x2 and 1x2 lumber. Sheathing will be 1/2" exterior grade plywood. I will also be using exterior grade moulding and trim to pump it up. I want to experiment with monster mud on the exterior to createe a plaster look coating on the columns.

Here is where I am now:

Here are all the pre-cuts for the first column.

Partial assembly completed. These rings are the base, lower level support and top supports.

First frame completed. The lower supports are secured using 3" screws, two per post. The upper support is secured using my brad nailer.

Two entrance columns ready to be closed up.

I will enclose these columns this week. I will also hinge one bottom panel on each for future use in case I want to put a fogger, speaker or even lights on or in the columns. Stand by for future updates.

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
Looking very nice indeed. I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish then off.

I'm in the middle of making these as well. Pretty much the same thing. I have the styraphome on already. I'm just waiting to get my Dad's router from the cabin this weekend so I can make the parts where the brick come through.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Johnny, looking good so far. How tall are your pillars?

You might also consider using the 7/16" sheathing instead of playwood. The sheathing sells for about $6 for a 4x8 sheet. It's what I build my tower out of. It's pretty resistant, and if you're going to MM the surface, you'll never know it was sheathing.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there TK. Was thinking about it and saw it was a bit cheaper. The plywood I have I got for free (good friend passed it along, 3-full sheets or about $27 worth up here). Obviously enough for these columns (they will be a little over 5'6" when covered). I'll have to buy materials for the 4 footer's, so I'll try out the 7/16" sheathing as you suggest and save a few bucks! Thanks.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Ok...phase two pictures, enclosed the frame and began trimming as well as created an access panel on the back side for future electrical, music or adding a fog machine.

Sheathing completed and trimming underway....

Back access panel....

Upper trim....

Magnetic closure and plates....

Now I've added Bondex to the side as a texture before painting with Kilz....

More to come.......

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oooooh looks prettttty. I am going to try my hand at a couple of pillars this summer. I am going to try to have a drop panel in one for an actor to hide behind and scare the (older) children.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
Those columns are looking fantastic! It's like deja vu all over again looking at your pics. I also built mine using RavenManor's as a guide. How did you ever find enough 2 X 2's that weren't totally warped and twisted? I ended up using 1 X 4's instead.
Great job!!

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Ask and you will receive....some close up and clearer shots of the plaster effects for TK and Dave, I found that buying the 2x2s bundled have less warping or twisting since they are banded together. Plus a little bit of warping adds to the overall effect, just sort of roll with it so to say!

So here's Phase 3:

Some shots of the plastering effect created with bondex joint compound:

More views of the plastering effect with all trim attached:

First coats of Kilz Latex Stain Block Primer tinted gray is applied:

Next up is a second coat, then dry brushing some highlights, adding staining, moss, etc. Till then, enjoy!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow, love love LOVE the "spackling" job, JA... they are looking so fabulous - very realistic. (err, as they should, since they ARE columns.... realized how stupid I sounded after I typed it.... err... uh...) :D

These are going to kick ass, my friend!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow! Great job, Johnny! Maybe some day I'll get to a project like this, but I think I need to start with something smaller and less overwhelming.

Very good work!!

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and all. I am working on aging the first column and starting to flesh out the second using the lessons learned from the first. I will try and get some additional pics posted this weekend before I leave for the east coast on a business trip that will take me away from my work on these babies for a week. I believe that I will suffer from prop building withdrawal!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts