Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you keep your gravestones made out of styrofoam from blowing away. I live at the top of a hill in the country and it is windy 24-7? This is probably old hat to many of you, so please bear with me!:confused:

· Registered
474 Posts
Pumptroll: We've all run into this problem. There are lots of ways to ensure that your stones stay where you want them. My favorite method is to run two pieces of PVC pipe into the base. Glue them in with something like Gorilla glue. And then, put rebar or wooden stakes into the ground. The PVC slides down over the rebar and keeps the stones where they belong. If you're using store-bought stones you can still use this method. Just glue the pipes to the back of the stone. You can spraypaint them to match before attaching them if people will see the back. I buy 12" rebar pieces from my hardware store for less than $1. If it's really windy, you might want 2" (less than $2).
I hope this helps!

· Registered
872 Posts
Ah, the age old question! I try different methods every year and have yet to find a favourite. Basically I hope for calm days and use a lot of rocks to stabalize the tombstones no matter which method I use.

Intellagirl: Doesn't the styrofoam crumble when you push the pvc into the base? And what do you mean by 'gluing them in'?

· Registered
474 Posts
Palladino: I use blue insulation foam for my tombstones. It doesn't crumble like typical styrofoam. I usually use a drill bit to make the channel in the foam for the PVC. Then, I squeeze a line of Gorilla glue on my PVC pipe and slide that into the channel in the foam. I like this method because if we get a really serious storm, I can run out and slide the tombstones off of their rebar pretty quickly and easily put them back out. Hope that clarifies :)

· Registered
181 Posts
i use a single 2" piece of foam for my stones and have been trying to find the best way to get the pipe inside it. This year i traced the outside of the 1/2" pvc and dremeled that out as deep as i could go. Then i used a 1/2" auger bit to go in about 10". after that i go in with a 3/4 mason drill by hand. then cut the pvc slide it in and glue in place

This works pretter well but because the auger bit is soo long (24") it is hard to keep it straight. It sometime goes out the back at the end of the hole. In that case i usually cut the pipe shorter and fill in the hole and use it as weathering of the stone.

· Registered
353 Posts
I use 1/2' dowels that I sharpen and push into the tombestone. Then I use a piece of 3/8' plywood for a base - making it about 3" bigger on all sides than the base of the tombstone. I drill 2 holes in it to match the dowels and glue the dowels into to along with gluing the tombestone to the base. I generally with paint this base black or gray. A few I've also covered with monster mud, same as the tombstones.

I then drill 4 3/8" holes - 1 in each corner of the plywood base about 1/2" in from the sides, I then use small heavy wire tent pegs that you can buy from almost any outdoor equipment store or Walmart. Works pretty well for the winds we get here.

· Registered
54 Posts
In the past we have used packets of door shims for the cheap headstones. Glue it to the back, paint the back all black so that nothing can be seen and stick it in the ground. That said, if you make your own, or buy the expensive ones, absolutely go with the pvc/rebar idea. Good luck.

· Registered
129 Posts
I glued wood slats to the back and screwed on zip tie anchors. then you use zip ties to attach to the rebar in the ground and it is really tight. Have had high wind and never budged, doesn't move around like with using pvc. of course you can't see mine from behind, so I don't have to hide them as much

· Registered
917 Posts
What i've done is, as i construct my tombstones, i make a plywood box to attach to the base of the stone. Inside of this box i place a bag of sand.....plastic bag, burlap bag....anything really, and fill it as full as you can. Then attach the box with the sand in it to the base of the tombstone with hot melt glue etc. and finally, paint it in keeping with the tombstone colors so it blends to the rest of the stone. Once done, drop it anywhere on your lawn or Graveyard and it should be pretty stable (the wider the base the better). No driving stakes into hard ground etc. Just pick up and go. Works for me.

P.S. You can also place gravel, rocks, bricks.....anything weighty into the base to keep it stable.

· Registered
552 Posts
Going the cheapest route I can think of, here's what I do:

First get a bunch of these conduit straps, they're five for a dollar. http://www.lowes.com/pd_3522-1716-L...rap&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=pvc+strap&facetInfo=

I use a combination of screws and Gorilla glue to attach these to the backs of the stones. (Tip - don't glue these or anything else onto stones that have paint on them. All you're doing is gluing them to the paint, they'll pull right off.)

I drive stakes into the ground and run them up through the straps. I use two stakes per stone and two straps for each stake. If it's too windy for this to do the job, I probably wouldn't be putting much in the yard anyway.

The cheapest material I know of for the stakes themselves is half inch pvc. MUCH cheaper than rebar. A ten-foot length of pvc is less than two bucks and you can cut it into four stakes that are each 2 1/2 feet long.

· black light queen
2,642 Posts
i use wooden stakes and velcro with my store bought stones ... haven't had any fly away, but i don't live in the open prairie ...

i get my velcro from walmart from their craft/fabric area ... i use about 6" with the loop side attached to the stone and the hook attached to a 24" wooden stake, that i get from my local lowes ... i attach the hook velcro to the smooth side of the stake, but i've started stapling it to the stake as well as the adhesive on the back of the veclro doesn't stick as good as i want to the wooden stake

i generally have 2 stakes pounded into the ground for each tombstone ... the smaller skinnier ones only need 1

taking apart the velcro halves is best done very carefully so that you don't rip the velcro off ... a butter knife or some other material slipped between the velcro halves makes seperation easier ...

amk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.