Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
OMG! That lighting though! Please tell me your secrets!! :D

Amazing job MCSHRIMPTON!!

Were those real or fake mushroom pods by your pumpkins? Adds a really weird creepy vibe. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Really nice photos. I really like some of them with the light and fog it really set the atmosphere. Nice flickr album too !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the kind words. We typically get single digit ToTers every year, so the support and encouragement keeps the motivation up for the next year's haunt.

I focus mostly on lighting and scene layout, mainly to distract from the somewhat mediocre props. I really don't have the time/space/money and prop building talent that so many others here do, so I just try to make it work with focus on the scene and atmosphere. I really dislike the harsh nature of most store bought lights, so I try to find ways to soften them up and hide them...nothing worse than glare from a floodlight blinding you from seeing the haunt as intended.

The mushrooms and stones are all just carved and painted foam. The lighting is a combination of some incandescent floods, a few LED spots, and some homemade fill/spot lights.

The graveyard has just a single blue flood light hung high in the trees, to simulate backlit moonlight. A few spots highlight some tombstones.

Two green flood lights are angled up behind the cornstalks to give a green hue above, while splitting the light into beams, which couples great with a fog machine. Below, hidden in the ground rocks, are more homemade fill lights to enhance the orange glow of the fire - just some small LED light banks from Harbor Freight put into spray painted plastic baggies. I keep a collection of many different colors to find the one that seems to best fit the scene.

I cover two windows with yellow/orange sheets, then shine two yellow floods from the inside to give that cartoonish yellow glow to the haunted house windows. It also acts great to increase the overall ambient lighting of the yard so it's not so pitch black...just enough light to reveal details in the surroundings.

It's great to see so many others putting up their pictures and videos. I love seeing everyone's vision of the holiday, and it is a great source of inspiration. The help and encouragement I see from other haunters here is unbelievable, and it helps to know so many others enjoy this somewhat unusual hobby/lifestyle.

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Absolutely stunning haunt! What incredible atmosphere. I see nothing mediocre here, Mcshrimpton!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts