Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a couple of the gravekeeper looking lanterns from Spirit last year not realizing the "candle" only lights up when activated by sound/motion. Anyway to DIY rewire to make the "candle" stay constantly lit? Thanks!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bought a couple of the gravekeeper looking lanterns from Spirit last year not realizing the "candle" only lights up when activated by sound/motion. Anyway to DIY rewire to make the "candle" stay constantly lit? Thanks!!
I also bought one of these with the intention of modifying this. Ran out of time to look into it for this year, but if someone else already has, please post!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Should be simple. I have no idea what the internal wiring looks like, but open it up, there should be one wire going from the power source to the motion sensor and another wire coming out of the motion sensor going to the prop. Either cut the two wires on the motion sensor and connect them or just jump across the wires and it should be constantly on.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Should be simple. I have no idea what the internal wiring looks like, but open it up, there should be one wire going from the power source to the motion sensor and another wire coming out of the motion sensor going to the prop. Either cut the two wires on the motion sensor and connect them or just jump across the wires and it should be constantly on.
That's actually a bit risky and could damage the circuit board. Photocells typically have at least 1000 ohms of resistance even with a light shining directly on them. Shorting the wires has zero resistance. It likely won't work anyway as this would simulate a light source that never stops which usually only triggers the prop for one sequence. A better option would be to just bypass the circuit board completely and just route power to the LED with a switch. Be sure to use the proper current limiting resistor for the LED.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts