Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
The guy has a great face and I love the action. What did you use for the head (ie. a mask or create it yourself). Really nice work there. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for sharing.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Would love to see the mechanism too.... Please post. I looks great! You did a nice job on it. Can't wait to see the finished prop.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I started out wanting a Gravedigger that was digging, then I added the head motion and then I thought why not add a bending/tipping motion and try to do it all with one wiper motor.

I like the digging and head turn but the tipping need some work, since its lifting it just falls back under gravity and then it rocks so I am either going to add a second motor under the waist to lift and lower the torso or re-work the linkage to lift from above, the advantage of a second motor is I can time the bend motion better.

Anyway here are some vids of the mechanism.
DSCF0469-1.flv video by scareisburg - Photobucket

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
Wow, that's a really great looking prop, scareisburg!! Great movement!
How did you ever figure out the mechanics of making all of that work? Very ingenious!
It looks like some of the things I put together--try to get as many movements out of a single motor as possible. LOL
In the off season you can put a fake shotgun in his hands and put him outside on your front porch to keep the solicitors away, too!!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Yeah..He's great!
Up till now, I thought all the gravediggers I'd seen on the forum must have been local council employees as I'd never seen one do a stroke of work...just standing around leaning on their spades.:D

Be sure to keep us updated as you progress with him.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
That is an awesome job, very impressive how you figured out the movement.
You have inspired me to try my hand at one. I agree a full how- to would be great. Once again very good job.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dave, Thanks I thought about some of your props when I was making this one. this is what happens when you start early on the prop making more time to thing of things to do and time to do them. Already making modifications to the tiping motion want it to lift from the bottom so it lifts and also lowers at a controlled rate. Would love to add a twisting motion but doubt if that happens.

The head is from the after Halloween sale at Rite-aid, 75% Off for a total of $5.

Actually I've been contacted by the highway dept. It seems there may be a maket for this prop just change the hat to a hard had and add an orange vest and place on any highway project so passing motorists see some one working instead of leaning on the shovel LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts