Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a couple days working on the columns for my grave yard entrance. It's been a challenge to say the least since I am using old lumber from a neighbour's fence. Luckily he has a corner lot and had a lot of fence boards or deck planks I should say. I was able to build 2 coffins, 2 entrance columns, and 4 fence columns. I ripped the 2x4's to make my own 2x2's and ripped the 1" deck plank's (fence pickets) for the face of the columns. Scrounged up some plywood from friends that no longer needed it. Reused the screws from the fence boards. Total cost is only in time spent swearing at all the warped used lumber lol.

It's still a work in progress, but here are some pictures of the grave yard entrance. Will post more pics of the fence columns when I get them built. If anyone has ideas of how I can make these look better fire away..

#1.jpg
View attachment 217446
#2.jpg
#3.jpg
#4.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I did plan on mounting lights on them. Haven't really found an outdoor lights yet. I do have a couple Halloween lanterns I might use.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the lights make them look really authentic. If that makes sense. My suggestion would be to hang the lights from some type of arm (hanger) bracket or something about a 10 or 12" from the actual top of the column. Pretty much just like they are only lower on the column. Just my 2 cents! They look really awesome!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree with lowering them. Theses look very similar to some I built. Instead of lights or lanterns, I put a small shelf (something gothic and decorative I picked up at hobby lobby) and I put different size flickering candles (fake of course) on them. I really like the way the candles look compared to any lights I found. Just a thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts