Halloween Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
thanks for all the ideas, but the rotissary motor is a bit too slow for someone who is trying to get out of the ground.

Ive just been to monster guts and decided to get the wiper motor and 12v powerpack.

btw is there any coupons or codes for monsterguts?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey all,
The wiper motor is perfect for this prop, although that roticerie motor has a decent speed compared with the weber one I used for the Mk.II. I seriously recommend using a lazy susan bearing plate under the prop to make the movement a bit more realistic, just balance the prop onto it and you'll get some extra creepy swing.
Also beware of the aluminum stock, as it will deflect and may need extra stiffening if the hands and arms get too heavy.
One more thing, once you dress your grabber, you'll need to prevent the shirt from getting caught in the linkage, this could cause the motor to bind and may lead to burning out your motor. A couple of wire hangers looped over the linkage will prevent this.
Please let me know if you have any questions! I can't wait to see how these turn out.

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey all,
The wiper motor is perfect for this prop, although that roticerie motor has a decent speed compared with the weber one I used for the Mk.II. I seriously recommend using a lazy susan bearing plate under the prop to make the movement a bit more realistic, just balance the prop onto it and you'll get some extra creepy swing.
Also beware of the aluminum stock, as it will deflect and may need extra stiffening if the hands and arms get too heavy.
One more thing, once you dress your grabber, you'll need to prevent the shirt from getting caught in the linkage, this could cause the motor to bind and may lead to burning out your motor. A couple of wire hangers looped over the linkage will prevent this.
Please let me know if you have any questions! I can't wait to see how these turn out.

thanks for the advice, especially the lazy susan idea.

i am not actually using aluminium stock, i am attempting to use wood. Its experimental so thats why i am working on it so early. but hopefully it would be fine and cheaper to build.

Im working on a tutorial for it, if it works so if you want to make "Ruggerz Cheap Grave Grabber" wacth this forum for it.

Ruggerz

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,749 Posts
on my grabber I actually made the ends of the swivel mechanism like 16 inches rather than just 6 inches long. This eliminated having to use dowel rods and having to fuss with attaching another type of material. Having the longer aluminum stock sticking out also allows for a little flex and extra movement. Mine is very sturdy and very well balanced. That motor doesn't seem to strain at all turning the prop.

I am still hoping to figure out a way to get the whole prop to rock side to side as it grabs. I think that would look really cool. I might have some time tonight to work on the next step of my idea. :)

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I am still hoping to figure out a way to get the whole prop to rock side to side as it grabs. I think that would look really cool. I might have some time tonight to work on the next step of my idea. :)
good idea

I though maybe place it on a thin piece of wood or something, like a see saw idea, then mayber the weight it puts on one side when it moves will rock it side to side.
any good?

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,749 Posts
good idea

I though maybe place it on a thin piece of wood or something, like a see saw idea, then mayber the weight it puts on one side when it moves will rock it side to side.
any good?
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Using a wider foot under the entire prop, and then having 2 brackets (swivel points) for the whole thing to pivot on. Since it is very well balanced right now, I considered either another arm on the motor with a small weight, or maybe a light duty bungee cord on each side of the rear cross arm attached to the base, so as he reaches it "pulls" the prop to on side an then the other.

I am going to work on that this week. Also considered a spring loaded head/neck mount to achieve a bit more random motion as it rocks. :)

41 - 48 of 48 Posts