Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment i am building a grave grabber and i need help on knowing what motor to use.

It needs to a low RPM motor as well as being cheap.

The person who made the tutorial used a paint mixer motor, but that seems quite expsensive for my budget.

Please help me...

Ruggerz

·
Registered
510 Posts
Try monsterguts.com I used there wiper motors with there 2 amp inverter. The speed that the inverter will slow that motor down to what you want. They are closed right now but will reopen soon. I am going to build one of these as well. I really like it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also, if you are looking for a cheap way for a low RPM motor usually you can find cheap motorized rotisseries out there, which is idea for grabbers and depending on the strength of the prop wiper motors are also good too. Scary Terry offers a good tutorial on this.

If, you do go with wiper motors the best power source may be a 12volt wall wart. The lower the voltage the more slower the motor will turn in revolutions. I would never suggest using any car battery chargers the amperage is way too high and likely to produce enough heat to cause even a fire. The lower the amperage the less heat is exchanged.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also built one. I used a wiper motor but used a 5vdc 1 amp power supply. This slowed it down and did not affect it at all.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,441 Posts
A low RPM motor like a Molon brand or similar would work fine for a grave grabber.
Try:
SurplusCenter.com
Allelectronics.com
Electronic Goldmine
American Science and Surplus.

·
Registered
187 Posts
IO'd go with a 50 rpm dayton, a rotisserie motor would be way to slow, a wiper motor could be ok if connected to 12 Volts DC, but it also would be a bit slow, I used the 50 rpm for my build and it's about right for the movement.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I built one with a wiper motor at 12V DC and the movement was fairly quick.. But it burned out the night before Halloween so he got retrofitted with a BBQ motor which moves alot slower and I actually found i liked the action better slower.. it made him creepier and it worked like a champ all nigth long with no issues whats so ever.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,750 Posts
I built one with a wiper motor at 12V DC and the movement was fairly quick.. But it burned out the night before Halloween so he got retrofitted with a BBQ motor which moves alot slower and I actually found i liked the action better slower.. it made him creepier and it worked like a champ all nigth long with no issues whats so ever.
I have no less than 5 rotissere motors in my attic. I have been trying to figure out what to do with them all. I am glad to hear you say that it worked well for this application. I have a few other plans for them as well. They do run like champs, but sometimes your prop ends up sounding like a cheap can opener,,,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
just as a heads up, I've had one going on 3 years. I like to let people walk through my graveyard and take pics. I made mine with a wire mesh body and great foam for guts in the back. First two years someone would touch it and push the shirt down into the moving parts and it would bind up. This year I put an outside layer of fiber glass over the wire so it covers and protects all the moving parts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As Frosty John shows, a wiper motor is perfect. I had mine hooked up to 12vdc but found it still to fast. 5vdc slowed it down to make it look like he was waking form the dead :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts