Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-
I want to get this texture/look on my columns.
http://www.fauxpanels.com/img_c/1-faux-panels/detail/FP-CG.jpg

I'm using 1" Blue Foam. I've experimented with a heat gun, it KINDA works. I've tested throwing Acetone on it- but that is too extreme/jagged of a texture. Any ideas on how to get this just right?

I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skid- awesome work. That chipped look is exactly what I've been looking for on the edges/trim. However- I'm concerned that it would be extremely tedious/time consuming on the large flat areas/sides of the piece. I also am not sure if it would look quite right. For the sides, I want to have grout lines like large granite blocks. Do you think the wood burner would work on the granite blocks? Let me see if I can find another picture somewhere...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok for example- on your Medusa stone (awesome work, btw!)- the crack starting on the left side and running to the middle... you can clearly see the wood burner tip shape around the edges of the crack. I would like that look on all flat surfaces of these columns, but man, that would take FOREVER!

I'm wondering if there's a combination of a heat gun and watered down Acetone or something that could do that similar look, but faster/easier. Your thoughts?

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I use a heat knife. You can adjust how deep a cut goes so grout lines are not a problem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's a heat knife?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah- I might use a wood burner for the edges, and then a heat gun and possibly a little water to add some slight texture to it. I think the combination, plus, a good paint job will do the trick.
Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, now that I think of it- I betcha I can use the burner on the larger flat surfaces randomly, then come back with a heat gun on those areas. The heat gun causes the areas to melt and holes/indentations to expand. I think that just might work... gotta definitely do some test pieces!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If it's a flat chiseled look you are after, I would try a small sanding disk in a drill and randomly hit each brick with that, after you have cut the joints in. If you use a small disk you can use the edge to cut in slightly rounded chips as well. Just make sure you use a fine disk and a VERY light touch. You can smooth it all over a bit with heat after, to blend it together.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhh- another great idea!!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Try using water and a tourch, thats what I use, the water from a graden hose spray attachment combined with the fire from the tourch gives just the right amount of texture, though if your using a heat gun I'd be careful of the electricity with water :eek: Zzzzt!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts