Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised when I received a catalog from Oriental Trading and saw their Standing Ghost Girl on the cover. She looks just like Venetian
Victoria that Grandinroad sells. I may be wrong but my general impression is that one company is on the "low end" and the other is "high end" so did not expect to see them offering the same item. Anyone know if it actually is the same item or if one is a knock off? Just curious. Thanks!

·
Evil Wizard
2,145 Posts
Venetian Victoria may have been a Grandin Road exclusive the first year that she was available, but can't remember for certain. Other than that, you'll see the same prop being sold by various retailers.

I know someone had posted on this a couple months ago, and I think they said that the main differences between the GR and Oriental Trading versions were in overall height and the color of fabric used.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
When OT first listed their Victoria look a like prop on their website, someone here, probably under the 2013 GrandinRoad thread called it to the forum's attention and I'm pretty sure at least one or two people said they ordered it and I do remember someone who got it describing it. As I recall, when the item from OT was mentioned there was also a % off coupon to use on OT's site making the prop an even less costlier buy at the time. Maybe one of those OT purchasers will see your post and give feedback here. Otherwise you could try searching back thru the GR thread for it. Thinking it was at the beginning of summer maybe? Anyone else?

i know there was early discussion before the person got her prop whether they were the same item. We also discussed GR's exclusivity on it.

As for OT, a number of years ago I use to buy a considerable amount of halloween props from them, poseable skeletons, giant latex spiders and snakes, giant toads, etc. they were very reasonably priced and had great after halloween sales as well. Some of the same props I bought from them are now being sold by other places. Then OT's halloween props more or less disappeared and it turned out that they went thru bankruptcy reorg. Maybe last year and this year I noticed they are offering props again, some seemed pretty expensive for OT and I suspect maybe they get dropped shipped from somewhere and OT doesn't warehouse them but really not sure. I always liked buying from them but haven't in the recent past. I did find that they had good customer service back then, not sure about now. OT was featured on one of those Undercover Boss episodes a while back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought her from Oriental Trading with Free Shipping and a 15% off coupon so it was cheaper than Grandin Road and it looks almost exactly the same. The only difference I can see is maybe slight color difference in the clothes and maybe the makeup is alittle different. I think mine is a little taller too. I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
BTW we've seen differences in "makeup" and clothing in Victoria and Helsa as well. Different dye lots in fabric and whoever is painting faces that day I'm sure. Wasn't the OT version not as ghostly though but more flesh colored? Guess it depends on what look you want to go for. I will say that the pale white of GR's masks show up nicely in different lighting and do look ghostly.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who posted for the helpful and detailed information! Wow, it is so appreciated! I am new to the forum and have found this to be an invaluable resource!

I went to Grandinroad's web site a few minutes ago and they are sold out of Victoria. I will check OT on my break later this afternoon. Thank you again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts