Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1330 Posts

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new year a new thread. As some members have mentioned, there are still ongoing clearance sales off and on on some of the halloween items from last year. Check the Outlet section for Halloween as well as the regular Halloween Haven area. Definitely check back here to see when they start doing teasers for the coming season's merchandise.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,796 Posts
I just bought another set of these (well not the set but the separate pieces since these are cheaper):
http://www.grandinroad.com/framed-lab-specimens/halloween-haven/shop-all-halloween/687248
I already have a set but the frames are so cool and for $18 I couldn't pass these up
I recently bought a set. Are you going to take the specimens off? My husband thinks they are one plaster cast. Let me know if you are able to remove the specimens. I only have the set and don't want to mess them up.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just bought another set of these (well not the set but the separate pieces since these are cheaper):
http://www.grandinroad.com/framed-lab-specimens/halloween-haven/shop-all-halloween/687248

they have a 10% off and free shipping Code 12YEARS

I already have a set but the frames are so cool and for $18 I couldn't pass these up
That's funny, I bought the teeth and eyes last week and they arrived yesterday! I kept them in my cart and received a 15% off discount via email. Neat item.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I recently bought a set. Are you going to take the specimens off? My husband thinks they are one plaster cast. Let me know if you are able to remove the specimens. I only have the set and don't want to mess them up.
I planned to use the parts separately, too, but I'd feel bad if I smashed the frames. I just ordered a second set of eyes to experiment on, so to speak. When they get here, I'll take a chisel to them and let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just got my items and WOW what a deal. I can never afford most of what they sell so this was a treat. The candle is very cool, I just have to figure out how to control its ROLL. But the BIG surprise where the pictures. I was expecting cheap plastic frames but these are TOP NOTCH. Very heavy, and well put together. They even have the wire for hanging on the back. I think I am going to let my sister the special effects wizard try and paint the "parts" so they look a little more realistic and leave them in the frames. Thank you so much ZomieLion for the tip.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am trying to control myself. Everytime I get those evil emails from Grandin Road with their coupons I have to force myself to delete them. LOL. I want stuff but I can't afford it right now! Especially if I want to wait for new stuff in August...

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,796 Posts
I got my second set of GR eyes, and they were actually quite easy to remove from the frame. I just put a wood chisel at the very bottom of each eye and gave it a slight tap with a hammer.
Oh thank you for coming back with the information. Very interesting. Oh do show us what you do with it next!! :)

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,796 Posts
I like the frames of the specimens, although the body parts look terribly unrealistic/unfinished with that color scheme, in my opinion, particularly the eyes.
I think, or thought, the same thing. I had no intentions of keeping the white specimens. I ordered them strictly for the frames. Yet, once I got them. It is shiny white porcelain which gives off a very... 1950s medical laboratory vibe. I was surprised that I didn't hate them the way they are.

That said... I'm still thinking of changing it up a bit. LOL

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'm on the fence, too. I ordered the entire set (individually was cheaper then, but now it's $1 cheaper to buy as a set) fully intending to tear them apart and used the parts, including frames, for different projects. When I got them in hand, they looked a lot better than I'd expected. I'm not sure I want to tear them all apart.
I didn't buy another entire set, but I did get more eyes and fangs to play with. The frames alone are worth the $5.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,796 Posts
I'm on the fence, too. I ordered the entire set (individually was cheaper then, but now it's $1 cheaper to buy as a set) fully intending to tear them apart and used the parts, including frames, for different projects. When I got them in hand, they looked a lot better than I'd expected. I'm not sure I want to tear them all apart.
I didn't by another entire set, but I did get more eyes and fangs to play with. The frames alone are worth the $5.
Exactly!!

When I ordered them... not for one moment was I considering keeping them intact. However, when you get them in hand, they really are neat. LOL
So now I don't know what to do with them. Can you believe how heavy they are?!

Well... you go first. I'll see if I like what you do with yours. haha ;)

·
Registered
20,817 Posts
If anyone who has the framed specimens would be willing to take and post photos of them, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, from somebody who is on the fence at the moment (perched, waiting and watching;)).

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I think their appeal is more a matter of their being very quirky than horrifying, but a little tweaking could do a lot in that department.
Clearly I've already torn up the eye plaque, but here are the fangs I just got. I have the entire set downstairs, but it has been a long day; I can dig it out tomorrow. The pictures on GR's site are pretty accurate.
Phone pictures (meh, but I do hope it's a bit helpful.) The white flecks are just part of the foam packing material (I just opened the box now.)
Picture frame Box Rectangle

Closer on the fangs themselves, rather washed out, but you get the idea.
Tooth Jaw Mouth Organ Human body

and the back, with hanger
Technology Cable Wire

They're heavy, and the quality is good.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,796 Posts
If anyone who has the framed specimens would be willing to take and post photos of them, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, from somebody who is on the fence at the moment (perched, waiting and watching;)).
ooojen, I agree with you. So heavy and very good quality. I already have a few photos on my laptop. this will save you the trouble of digging yours out.
Garthgoyle, Here are the other three.
I love the pattern on the frame.

Tray Fashion accessory Rectangle Comfort food

Material property Comfort food
Ear Tooth Fashion accessory

1 - 20 of 1330 Posts