Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a problem with Grandin Roads Tombstones? I ordered the following below and just received them.. I'm kinda shocked they are all coming up 10" shorter then advertised on grandinroad.com. I LOVE THEM and They look amazing but I am upset they are shorter then I wanted. Have others encountered this problem? Anyone else order them? Thought ya all should know before placing your orders....

* 2013 ISLAY SCOTTISH CROSS
* 2013 SMALL IRISH STONE
* 2013 DRUMCLIFF SCOTTISH CROSS

·
Evil Wizard
2,168 Posts
Perhaps GR is including the length of any ground stakes in the height specifications from the product descriptions on its website?

Edited: I've had my eye on these for some time now, but have been holding off on buying them yet.

·
Crypto Hunter
1,283 Posts
Has anyone ever had a problem with Grandin Roads Tombstones? I ordered the following below and just received them.. I'm kinda shocked they are all coming up 10" shorter then advertised on grandinroad.com. I LOVE THEM and They look amazing but I am upset they are shorter then I wanted. Have others encountered this problem? Anyone else order them? Thought ya all should know before placing your orders....

* 2013 ISLAY SCOTTISH CROSS
* 2013 SMALL IRISH STONE
* 2013 DRUMCLIFF SCOTTISH CROSS

Whoa I am so glad you posted this (and welcome to the forum BTW :) )
I was thisclose to ordering the tall Scottish Cross when they offered the 20% off code as I wanted the 53" height in my cemetery.

However I just didnt feel comfortable ordering the tombstone without any posted reviews, now I have seen your and I am shocked. We aint talkin an inch or so off, 10" is deceptive.
I would suggest you call their customer service and let them know about this. They are very good, I have dealt with them many times over the years. I would be very interested to learn what they have to say about this.
i for one will not be placing my order until I find out more. I want a 53" cross NOT a 43".

Saurman may be right although I have never known them to include the ground stake in the measurements of any of their stones and I own about 6 of them

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! :D This was my first post, but I LOVE reading all the other posts and seeing all the fun Halloween finds! :)

I definitely will call them, I didn't think that they could include the stakes as height. I will have to measure them. I probably would have waited to order for a better coupon code or a flash sale. They are super cool though, I missed the last British set (Ithink thats what they were) they had 2 years ago so i didn't want to miss out. They are nice and heavy, high quality like the rest. Comes with stakes you place them on instead of their other ones with the screw in stakes. Don't know how we'll that will hold up in the wind with how heavy they are. :/ kinda disappointing... :confused:

I keep you posted!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have all the Celtic stones from 2009 and the only new Celtic offered in 2010. I love them but heads up: The screw in stakes have a flaw, be sure you use something to make a pilot hole before you push the stakes in. If you just screw in the stakes and then push hard on the top of the headstone, the threaded tube in the stone may break loose and then be rattling around inside (clay soil here). I've had to repair 4/5 of mine and it's kind of a PITA to do so. I ended up filling with expanding foam to reinforce the only unbroken one.

F

·
0 Posts
I bought 2 of their tombstones, and have been mulling the new Irish stones.

It says that these stones are: between 31 inches, 38 and one half inches highs, and 53 and one half inches high in order of shortest to tallest.

I'd take photographic evidence and email it to GR today, with the measurements from each stone copied and pasted from their site.

They cannot ignore photographic evidence that the stones are each 10 inches smaller than detailed on their site.

F

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering too. If the Irish stones ever go on sale after halloween, I'd like to get at least one- even the lil one. They have a nice look to them.

·
Crypto Hunter
1,283 Posts
yeah hollow I want to get that tall stone but refuse to pay full price if it isnt up to size. I wish the original poster would give a follow up if they called CS.
I keep checking everyday on their website to see if the stones have any reviews but so far nothing

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the delayed response guys. I called CS and received an apology and either a refund, or a 10% discount, or an exchange. Neither one of them sounds satisfactory for the huge discrepancy in height and width. So I am taking actual photos with measurements proving there is something definitely wrong with their product/description. I am forwarding everything to Frontgate via email. I am also waiting for a return call from Grandin Road Product dept.

It's a frustrating process, no one in CS seems to know anything about the problem so I was transferred to several depts, before given the complaint email. I think a higher discount should definitely be offered, or like others would have waited for a flash sale, better coupon code.. Etc

I will let you guys know as soon as I find anything out. I like them and want to keep them, even shorter then stated, but not at 10% off. If anyone would like to see photos let me know.. I will happily post them.. :)

F

·
0 Posts
Yes, please post pics. If I were you, I'd review them on their website as well.

·
Crypto Hunter
1,283 Posts
Yes, please post pics. If I were you, I'd review them on their website as well.
Thank you frog for the follow up, believe me, it is appreciated! hollow is right, a review of them on their website is in order.
You would be doing a good deed in by informing other potential buyers of what to expect. AND if they sell very few of these as a result they may be included in any 1/2 off sale later on :D

If it were me I would go with the refund and get ALL my money back THEN if they go on sale at a good discount just reorder them.......... ;)

·
Crypto Hunter
1,283 Posts
I'm reviving this thread because I just noticed on GR's website that they have altered the descriptions on the new stones to read the following:

Islay Scottish Cross (66006): 22-3/4"W x 2-3/4"D x 53-1/2"H with stakes, 43-1/2"H without, 13 lbs.

Drumcliff Short Cross (66007): 18-1/4"W x 2-1/2"D x 38-1/4"H with stakes, 28-1/4"H without, 13 lbs.

Small Irish Stone (66008): 14-3/4"W x 2-3/4"D x 31"H with stakes, 21"H without, 10 lbs.

Now think about this, what the hell does it matter the height WITH the stake??? Am I missing something here? Am I clueless????
The stake is BURIED in the ground right? The stake is NOT supposed to be seen eh? So in reality the large stone is NOT 53 1/2" because the dang stake is hidden. They should simply say that the stones are whatever height they are WITHOUT including the stake.

Ok, I know I sound picky but I'm in a rather crabby mood today and needed to gripe about something........

original-620x412.jpg

F

·
0 Posts
Iron Maiden- good catch! Poor Funny Freckled Frog was RIGHT! GR was ganking us!

Light the torches! Gather ye pitchforks! Loose the hounds! Onward to GR- we will give 'em what for!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow, that's pretty bad. Either they were obviously trying to fool customers, or someone has no common sense. I have not seen any other store give the height WITH the stake, and without. They would give the actual height, then add, "Includes 10" stake for display.". Shame on them. :mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts