Halloween Forum banner

841 - 860 of 892 Posts

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
i am excited i got the typewriter for 50 percent off can not wait for it to get here this week
In case you missed mrincredibletou's post, check to make sure the HELP keys spell it out in that order not PLEH. They ending up sent 2 units back due to both of them typing the message in the wrong order. Great deal if you get a good one. Fingers crossed for you. I think it's one of the most unique props this year they had and really love mine. I see it's pulled from the website now.

Nice buys on the dogs guys! They were holding on to that retail price on Sasha and I wasn't sure she'd go on sale this year. Got mine last year from Kmart on a good sale since GR wasn't budging much on her then either. Apart from the dogs and the typewriter there wasn't a whole lot left on their site as far as the bigger items.

I got my 4 inch eyeball orbs today. The 3 inch ones arrived last week. I really like the look of them and like them way better than the Ross version I had seen in the store. Never did buy any of the Cracker Barrel ones. Actually I almost didn't order the orbs even at 50% off separately but glad I bought them when I did as they seem to be sold out now. Have to say I'm pretty happy with my GR items this year even though I wasn't overly excited by what was new.

Still have one more order I'm waiting for delivery. That's 2 of the standing and laying little mice. I liked the crouching ones so much wanted to add some friends. What are you guys still waiting on?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
This is my first post here (I'm a newly registered user......hi, everyone!) and was excited to see an entire forum site dedicated to Halloween. And now an entire thread to talk about just Grandinroad? How have I not found this site until now is beyond me!

I have been buying Halloween decor from GR for the last several years and I love just about everything I have purchased. This year's selection wasn't as good as prior years, but of course did still manage to pick up a few new things to add to my collection (witch hat platter, witch and skeleton masks on stands, and Vladimir, just to name a few). Today I received the set of 3 holding hands witches, and I am anxiously awaiting the typewriter like a few of you. Thanks for the heads up about the keys! Hopefully I won't get one of the returned defective ones...

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Cool that you found us maggiesvineyard. And nice to find another GR shopper. Lots of company on this thread. Good luck on your typewriter btw. So how do you decorate for Halloween?

Once you have time, you might enjoy checking out some of the old threads. Years worth of info and photos and how to's. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I actually found this site over the weekend. I was searching online for ideas for a Book of Spells/Shadows and got heavily engrossed in all the how-to's and seeing everyone's photos of their work.....I think I lost pretty much most of the weekend! LOL. Except for Sunday night that was reserved for the TWD premiere (completely different topic though which I will look up later in a different forum section when I have more time!).

I'm not sure what style my decorating is, but I have a lot of life size props, skeletons (both human and animals) and have scenes created in each and every room. I think one of my favorites is the life size female mummy I got from GR a couple years ago...kicking myself that I didn't get the male, too! They haven't been brought back since then. This year was my first time decorating outdoors.....for years I lived in apartments but now I'm in a house....so I have a few GR tombstones, a couple groundbreakers, and the window crasher ghosts I picked up this year. I thought they might bee too "cute" but honestly they fit right in with everything else. So for my style, nothing soft or cute...... I go more scary and haunted than horrific (although I do have a small number of things that might be borderline, like my severed Hershel head or my ripped out eyeballs that I found on Ebay last year that are VERY realistic looking. Luckily this is an all-adult household! :D

Thanks for the welcome!

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,383 Posts
In case you missed mrincredibletou's post, check to make sure the HELP keys spell it out in that order not PLEH. They ending up sent 2 units back due to both of them typing the message in the wrong order. Great deal if you get a good one. Fingers crossed for you. I think it's one of the most unique props this year they had and really love mine. I see it's pulled from the website now.

Nice buys on the dogs guys! They were holding on to that retail price on Sasha and I wasn't sure she'd go on sale this year. Got mine last year from Kmart on a good sale since GR wasn't budging much on her then either. Apart from the dogs and the typewriter there wasn't a whole lot left on their site as far as the bigger items.

I got my 4 inch eyeball orbs today. The 3 inch ones arrived last week. I really like the look of them and like them way better than the Ross version I had seen in the store. Never did buy any of the Cracker Barrel ones. Actually I almost didn't order the orbs even at 50% off separately but glad I bought them when I did as they seem to be sold out now. Have to say I'm pretty happy with my GR items this year even though I wasn't overly excited by what was new.

Still have one more order I'm waiting for delivery. That's 2 of the standing and laying little mice. I liked the crouching ones so much wanted to add some friends. What are you guys still waiting on?

now see if I got one that help is backwards I would be totally cool with that haha can use in a scavenger hunt at my party find the word help haha

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Welcome maggiesvineyard!

Can't remember if I posted this but the psychic sign came early..... they had scheduled me for the 26th and I called them to check on it and it came that day (the 21st). I could not help myself....pulled out that darn Grandin Road credit card again and ordered the dogs. Two came today, Sasha & Spike, still waiting on Shadow. They are so neat.I was not planning anything with these dogs, but the more I looked at them and how cute the dog walker skeleton guy was....I finally thought I might like to get one. When they went to 50% off I broke down. Shadow was only $17.50 since he was already marked down to $35.00. I did not expect them to be so big.I love them but my dogs don't know what to think and the chihuahau charged them!

Well we did not get a lot of stuff done......actually its pretty pathetic...but I have a popup outside its decorated with a gypsy theme and most of the stuff in there is Grandin Road from this year and last year. The kids are gonna love that gypsy woman that tells the fortunes and the sign that goes with her is just too perfect.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am so thrilled I bought their spotlights on sale in the early spring. The green is really setting off the graveyard.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Well I thought I was getting my typewriter today, but it looks like tomorrow instead *sigh*

I did however get the skeleton vulture (cute) and the skull string art. I had no intentions of buying it but for $10 I couldn't resist. The wood isn't exactly high quality, in fact it's pretty cheap, but the string work is pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I finally got my typewriter yesterday, and just as I thought I would, I got one that spells PLEH. But honestly, I'm ok with it! It's not like I could get them to send me a different one anyway since it's sold out.

I also received another prop from one of my other favorite stores, Design Toscano, to go with the typewriter.....which is this severed hand statue. It complements the typewriter perfectly! :D

image.jpeg

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
I finally got my typewriter yesterday, and just as I thought I would, I got one that spells PLEH. But honestly, I'm ok with it! It's not like I could get them to send me a different one anyway since it's sold out.

I also received another prop from one of my other favorite stores, Design Toscano, to go with the typewriter.....which is this severed hand statue. It complements the typewriter perfectly! :D

View attachment 371786
I like the hand. Sort of a neat paper weight?! Regarding the typewriter if you can I would take a short video of the "key" movement if you can and post it to a Flickr or whatever account where you can store it, then call them and tell them you got a defective one. Mention you like it, since you do, and you were wondering if they could give you some sort of a discount if you keep it since you see it's now sold out and can't exchange it. Offer to send a link to a video of it so they could see it's not right. If they agree, great. I recently posted on HF about a defective zombie farmer prop I bought from their sister company, Improvements Catalog (got mine on sale, although not 50%), and was nice about it with them on the phone and they gave me a person to contact and send photos of the issues. It was also sold out so I couldn't get an exchange. I got a prompt response back that they would issue me a credit and they did right a way. Like you I liked the prop enough to keep and work around the issues with it but honestly it's not a truly working prop so don't feel bad about asking for some adjustment. Can't hurt if you still want to keep it.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Yes, the hand could definitely serve as a paper weight! It's not super heavy, but it's heavy enough since it's made out of resin.

As for the typewriter, I called a little bit ago and they credited me for the whole thing. I had to call about another broken item......the "Give Thanks" pumpkins, which are absolutely gorgeous, but must have been a return from someone else because both pumpkins were literally thrown in a box with no styrofoam or other padding around them. And they're resin as well and are highly breakable, normally those types of decorations are individually boxed and have styrofoam around them. So disappointing they arrived that way, as I was looking forward to them. Anyway, I explained about the typewriter and the woman ended up crediting me for the whole thing, and told me to either just keep it as defective or to donate it. This is why I love GR so much because they always make things right when it comes to damaged items!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
btw, I didn't know Improvements was a sister company! I recently bought a few Halloween decorations from them when they had that 1-day 50% off on select Halloween items, and I couldn't believe some of the things I was able to get at an awesome price! Like the pre-lit spooky trees, which I have seen on GR before for like $80 or somewhere around there and I got 2 of them for $30 ea. I got a few other great items on that sale, too, but the trees I was most excited about!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone! I just recently discovered halloween forum as well as grandin road. I got some great stuff from them, but missed out on some things I really wouldve loved to have! I wasn't expecting stuff to sell out so fast! I was wondering if they carry a lot of products over year to year? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Hi everyone! I just recently discovered halloween forum as well as grandin road. I got some great stuff from them, but missed out on some things I really wouldve loved to have! I wasn't expecting stuff to sell out so fast! I was wondering if they carry a lot of products over year to year? Thanks for any input.

Welcome aboard. You should come here early starting maybe in May when talk about GR starts up and we get clever and try to find the stuff going up online before it gets officially posted. And talk always goes to what items we've seen will probably sell out early. Actually all year round you'll find posts from people about various sales and clearance items on halloween stuff. They do occasionally repeat items but not many really. This year we saw Victorian Victoria and Eva get listed again. The animated Zombie groundbreaker bros came back although Henry sold out early. Forgot when I bought mine during the year but think just Larry and Skully were around most of the season this year. The giant hunky Headless Horseman has made an appearance on a few yearly occasions over the years and is generally gone before the season is over when he does get listed.

If you live by their showroom warehouse you can get good deals on things that end up there after season. Some in fine condition, others kind of fall into the bump and dented category, but depending on your DIY skills or how you will use them a great bargain. A few members here have posted over the past years photos of what they've found when they went there. Otherwise the rest of us look forward to the after season clearance items that will pop up and disappear just as quickly from November through maybe February/March. Generally limited quantities, sometimes we think just one or two, so you have to be watching the site and/or reading posts here to get the heads up. People here have gotten lucky on many occasions. I've bought a number of my props from them during these after season sales. Can't beat the prices then, 'course you have to wait to use the props until next halloween so no immediate gratification.

Since you are new to the forum and a fan of GR, when you get a chance you might enjoy searching the site for the annual GR shopping threads (always labeled GrandinRoad and the year). Fun looking through the photos people shared over the years and kicking yourself for props you wish you had bought when you had the chance! Hope you have a great halloween. BTW what did you miss out on this year that you didn't get to in time?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I know your question was to Autumnk, but I figured I would answer, too! The one item I really REALLY reeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyy wanted was the witch moon wreath. It sold out fairly early, but then yesterday I saw it was available again but only for a few hours. When I saw it I immediately put it in my cart, but I just couldn't push the button to purchase it at full price. It was $299, + $30 shipping and $10+ in tax. They have free shipping right now, but still couldn't do it. I searched high and low for other coupon codes and I found a working 20% off code, but that negated the free shipping, and I still couldn't do it at that price. I love it, but not $300+ love for a wreath, no matter how cool! I'm hoping it comes back next year when I have a better chance of getting it on sale :(

image.jpeg

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Oh and you're right, you have to keep checking their site! I managed to get several of their early sell-outs from last year in the spring of this year, and on sale too with one of their "20 or 25% sitewide + free shipping" deals. The gold mask and gold bead skulls, witch hat clock, day of the dead bust, and I forget what else....but it was a bunch of things! It took like 2-3 months to ship, but I didn't mind.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Yep, my Henry zombie guy was like that..ordered and waited for him 2-3 months last year; and Skully same this year. Both ordered in May on sale and got in July. I really haven't noticed many props making a come back this year. This week however I saw Victoria and Eva pop up and get sold. This afternoon I saw that Madame Zaltana had popped up and been bought. Glad I bought her early on.

Plus I should mention that you really should check both the Halloween Haven area AND their separate Sale area for Halloween. Not everything is listed in both places. For example the set of 6 mice under HHaven is back to 24.00 but you can pick up 6 mice individually for 18.00 under the Sale area and mix and match them as you please.

One thing I really liked but didn't get this year was the winged angel statue. Think I mentioned that before. Either didn't have the extra to buy it when she was available or saw it after it had sold out. I did once afterwards see it make a pop up appearance but when I noticed it was listed but marked No Longer Available so probably just missed it by hours. Hoping maybe next year. That's the one statue of theirs that I keep thinking about that I think would look good in my cemetery set up.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Oh I want that winged angel too! Especially having managed to get the 2 other tombstones they sold (same from previous years). I wanted them last year but they were always sold out when a sale was happening....and they are just too much to pay full price on. I lucked out and they didn't have the infamous "Item no longer available" on them when it was sale time a month or so ago so I got them at a decent price. I love them! The angel statue will look great along with them so I will have to keep an eye out for that one.

I did notice the item listings under HH and their outlet section. In fact, and you probably already noticed this, but even in HH there is sort of a discrepancy, so instead of viewing "All Halloween" which is what I normally do, it's best to go thru each and every category. If you go to the outdoor decorations category, they have some lighting (ridiculously priced, of course) that do not display under the "All" list. The few lighting pieces were the only things I didn't see in the "All" list, but now I make a point to look every now and again through the individual categories just so I don't miss anything!

I didn't get Madame Zaltana....she was too much $$ at full price and by the time I started contemplating getting her, she was gone. I did get Vladimir though for like $50 so I was pretty happy with that. He was my only life-size prop for this year. Well, at least from GR! lol

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I forgot, I got the zombie girl groundbreaker this year, too! I wanted her last year but didn't get her before she sold out. She made an appearance this year for a brief period and I managed to get her. Looks great with the other groundbreaker I have from Design Toscano (link below in case you want to check him out). They look great together!

I will have to keep an eye out for Larry and Skully.... I am fixated on my outdoor decorating now!

http://www.designtoscano.com/produc...383020.do?sortby=bestSellers&refType=&from=fn

841 - 860 of 892 Posts