Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 892 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My spots lights recently arrived, very happy with them. As previously mentioned by Ghost of Spookie they are the type that remain connately on. Anyone purchase those luminaries in the past?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ooo...I really hated these things. They weren't that great & incredibly overpriced. I bought a couple at Walmart last year for less than $20 each & ended up selling them because they just weren't that great & the noisemaker was on the half that was inside. They were basically stuffed things with suction cups & not very large.

I hope you like them better than I did. Though IMHO they're overpriced even on sale.
I thought they were kind of cute although in my old age I'm tending to lean towards more of the victorian creepy haunted house type of decor. I'm still on the fence as I live in a mega-windowed old house and am always looking for new easy ways to decorate them. I'm wondering if this is another of those tree face type items that some might remember last year. Mine from Buy Costumes were flimsy vacuformed garbage but the ones that looked identical from Grandin Road that were posted were heavy resin. I'm only thinking this due to reading the reviews on their site that many commented these things were huge and some were unable to use them in the windows they had intended due to their size. Curious RCIAG if in actuality they were poorly stuffed garbage in spite of the size. I'd hate to spring for them and end up with a BIG pile of junk LOL

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
^ Well that all depends on if you buy it on sale I guess. For example if you bought it during that 30% off sale a few days ago, it would come out to $90.30. Shipping UPS ground to the west coast would run $17, so basically the same cost, probably cheaper shipping for those closer to their warehouse. If you buy during a 20% off and free ship offer which they do occasionally, it would come out to 103.20. I'd say they are still competitive and repeat buyers know to shop the sales when possible.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
^ Well that all depends on if you buy it on sale I guess. For example if you bought it during that 30% off sale a few days ago, it would come out to $90.30. Shipping UPS ground to the west coast would run $17, so basically the same cost, probably cheaper shipping for those closer to their warehouse. If you buy during a 20% off and free ship offer which they do occasionally, it would come out to 103.20. I'd say they are still competitive and repeat buyers know to shop the sales when possible.

Agreed I just wanted to point out its not exclusive to Grandin Road :)

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Gotcha ;) . Actually I kind of posted to show that while GrandinRoad gets criticized for their prices, they can also be competitive along with everyone else. It can pay to work out the sales and free shipping numbers before ordering. Sometimes the shipping can make all the difference. I did notice that the place in your link has free shipping on orders over a certain amount so that's definitely a plus.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I don't remember those, either, and I did a lot of looking at the "preview" we were provided on the forum.
I wonder whether GR is test marketing, knowing die-hard haunters are always looking. That could give them ideas about what to bring into full production for the season.
Just a possibility...
I do like the figures, but they don't meet my bang-for-the-buck criterion. If it costs over $100, it can't just be part of the background. Maybe if you have less stuff, they'd grab more attention.

----
Browsing now, I see a couple other items I don't remember too. Did they have a jumping spider before? I didn't remember seeing it from GR. It has 7 reviews, though, so it must have been available at one point. Maybe it sold out early and I just didn't pay attention because I had one (cheaper) from elsewhere.

More editing-- One of the reviews says, "We did not order the footpad or the adapter..." Now I'm pretty sure I didn't see those offered; I wanted a footpad for mine.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I have to confess. There are a few things I bought in the past that my initial reactions were kind of negative and I came on gave my opinions. (No apologies. Our tastes can change.) So I thought I would revisit those few items.

Well, my opinions did not necessarily change on the eyeball orbs as is. Kind of strange, and that piece of round tape right on the top still bothers me. However, I did some funky decorating with them and they turned out to be some of my more popular little tchotchkes.

witches1.jpg crow.jpg windowsill.jpg

Now I know I really complained about this. $40 for a smallish plastic cat. I was furious. Turns out... it really is gorgeous at night out on the front porch with the glowing eyes at night. So I have to take that negative review back. (Well, still... that is too much money for plastic.)

LH cat.jpg

This fella. It is not so much HIS fault I had a negative impression. Initially I wanted him to be like a lap dog on a skeleton's lap. My complaints were that you have to really almost hit him to trigger the lights and eyes. So it did not work being up on a chair. However, we put it on the hard floor by the front door and we were laughing so much. EVERY time we opened the door or closed it, the dog would start howling from the vibration of the door. So it was excellent. I also complained that the dog howls, whereas I thought it should growl. (How is it howling with a closed mouth?) I've changed my mind on that. We love it now.

hound.jpg

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Heh-- It's like eating some of those Chobani Flip Yogurts for the first time, like Peachy Pistachio, Sriracha Mango, or Chipotle Pineapple. You're not sure what you're expecting, but you know it wasn't that. The first bite is.. "eesh!" The second is, "hmmm". And by the third it's, "Really pretty good." Haha. A little time to get used to them, and you start to see their charm.
What do you think of the clock now that you've had it a while, Hilda?

I like most of what I've gotten from GR but those books with the pop-out skelly hand-- absolute piece of crap! So poorly made-- the rubbery bookcovers had buckles and folds. There were globs of glue oozed out all over.
The eye orbs can be great when remade as above, but when you pay $30 for 8 plastic balls, they ought to be great without a re-make. I believe they moved the stickers from the top to the bottom when they released the next batch, so that was some improvement.
Those beautiful lanterns they released a couple years ago...with no steady on switch-- ugh! They rectified the problem, but a lot of people were very unhappy. I think they're rushing to get stuff out and not being careful about quality control. It would be in their best interest to be more careful and get the bugs worked out before the big seasonal rush.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
haha Hate to admit it. I never did warm up to the Chobani Yogurts (even after a while). hahaha

The Clock. Well, it's a love hate relationship. It's very funny for one of the type of gag scare things it is. It's just so dang loud and no way to regulate it. I have it in the living room and there are just too many people walking around. It triggers repeatedly and gets tiring. I guess, if I had it somewhere where people just walk by ONCE it would be good. You know what I mean? I may have to move it to a different room this year.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that today is the last day for GR's Anniversary Offer -- 10% off plus Free Shipping, which can add up depending on what you're ordering. Code APRIL2016 expires 4/25 @ 11:59pm EDT. BTW those Gemmy spotlights (red, white) are still available: http://www.grandinroad.com/led-outd...as-decor/outdoor-christmas-decorations/823731 -- with offer 8.10 each, free ship.

Hilda, I love your collection of GR items. They make me smile especially the way you modify and stage things. :D

BTW has anyone bought the Winged Lady Statute? She has no head and is only about 3 feet high? I'd love to see a photo of her if you used her last year and hear what you thought about her--materials and difficulty storing. She might be on my this year. Thought maybe I'd build a base for her to give her more height. Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One can always use at least one GR lady!

Hey did they have a chrome skeleton last year? I remember gold being a metallic used in last years GR theme. I noticed this on the site today: http://www.grandinroad.com/chrome-skeleton/halloween-haven/shop-all-halloween/681367
I bought the silver chrome skeleton last year, along with some skeleton dogs (Sasha and Shadow). It was pretty decently made - I didn't have any problems with the metallic paint chipping. The $129 price tag is a little much, but I found a coupon and got for $100, which is in the ballpark for a Bucky.

41 - 60 of 892 Posts