Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 892 Posts

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
You're very brave. HA! I think it is overpriced, too. I think they began to advertise in Martha Stewart's magazine and that would explain it. But some nice, basic decorative items are there. Someone above mentioned the cake platters-those are nice-quite festive!
Hehe. Love the Brave comment. I was thinking that there sure are a lot of us that love overpriced garbage. I know I have a houseful of GR ladies, zombie, mummy, werewolf characters, Gemmy lighting and Villafane pumpkins and parts. And the list goes on. Some of my favorite halloween items too. Hope to have and use them for a long time delighting kids, love it all. I too take advantage of the sales and you guys all have helped in that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure.

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Hehe. Love the Brave comment. I was thinking that there sure are a lot of us that love overpriced garbage. I know I have a houseful of GR ladies, zombie, mummy, werewolf characters, Gemmy lighting and Villafane pumpkins and parts. And the list goes on. Some of my favorite halloween items too. Hope to have and use them for a long time delighting kids, love it all. I too take advantage of the sales and you guys all have helped in that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure.
Yeah it's evil, they have exclusive props (the zombies) so they can get away with charging way more for them

·
Registered
131 Posts
I believe we ALL have issues with the I...MUST...HAVE...it!!!! syndrome. When it hits, it's bad. NOTHING can stop that purchase! (Coupon or not! HA!!!) I had that problem with a certain black cat inflatable, had to track it down-now it's everywhere! In perfect honesty, I first saw the Grandin Road stuff years ago in M Stewarts magazine. It had the horse drawn carriage inflatable. OHHHH! I dragged that magazine everywhere. Oh, those life sized figures. It was a bit of a mania. Not too long after I did get the Gemmy Donna the Dead so that curbed the craving. I still love checking out their site-I think the some of the large figures are great. They certainly have a range of items. I had seen the Joe Spencer soft sculptures and mentioned them to my friends-now my friends have purchased five different figures for me. (I actually need to put a stop to that-space limitations and pets-cats are trying to snatch some of them bald! HA!!!)

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Here's something I noticed with their site. Not sure if they are just short on quantity on things halloween right now, but I mentioned that the Orbs I had put in my cart a few days ago, popped up a window while I was continuing shopping that said the Orbs were in limited quantity. Last year it use to say Limited Qty on the order page. Well stopped on the site today and decided to test a theory. Added items and then continued shopping and each time I continued and clicked on another item it would put up a message of Limited Quantity on the previous item while on the new item page. Checked this out with the Orbs, Tree Face and Arms, Pre-Lit Creepy Garland, Life-Size Venetian Victoria, and I gave up after that. Same thing happened each time. So either things are in short quantity or it's a marketing technique to get you to pull the trigger. hmm. Not like we need encouragement LOL.

I did notice that Eva (think that was her name) was no longer listed. The Tree Face and Arms were newly listed I believe so things available are changing. Sale lasts thru 4/25.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting. You're probably right, must be a marketing ploy.

One thing I found out awhile back is if you put an item in your cart and just leave it there, then log out, sometimes the company will send you an e-mail offering a discount of some sort on that item.
Helpful if you don't have a coupon code to use.

I got my Haunted Reveal Clock in the mail today, but haven't opened it yet. Too busy trimming trees outside.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure about the limited quantity. It's not exactly like the majority of people right now are looking for halloween. They know there's a hard core group of us that will buy year round especially during good sales; but with all their new spring/summer stuff to stock imagine they intentionally don't keep much in the way of Halloween this early so could picture there being lower stock. I'm thinking having any halloween now is done in hopes of attracting potential purchasers to check out and get inticed with other non-fall items. Regardless, I'm glad I got the Eyebll Orbs this year

Dave, I know BuyCostumes tends to do that thing with left overs in your cart and the follow up email with discount. Picked up a few things at a better price that way.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,218 Posts
Yes - I have joined OPBA....overpriced garbage buyers anonymous -shhhh don't tell anyone...:D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Yes - I have joined OPBA....overpriced garbage buyers anonymous -shhhh don't tell anyone...:D
OPBA -- heehee! Good one; I'll have to remember that.
My name is Jen, and I'm an overpriced-garbage buyer. I've been clean for about a week and a half now. (It hasn't been GR for a while, but I did order an overpriced mask from the UK...and I'd do it again!)

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
I can't saying anything bad about GR. So few stores are even carrying Halloween stuff anymore. Glad to find a company that at least tries to offer something new and unique. I also like that they stand behind their products. I don't remember one negative post from previous threads. Any quality or shipping issue was professionally handled.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I can't saying anything bad about GR. So few stores are even carrying Halloween stuff anymore. Glad to find a company that at least tries to offer something new and unique. I also like that they stand behind their products. I don't remember one negative post from previous threads. Any quality or shipping issue was professionally handled.
That's excellent you never had a problem with GR.
I had a few issues and posted in last year's thread. Quality and shipping issues were not well handled.
That said, I will still shop GR. Just with some trepidation and caution and fingers crossed from now on. ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Has anyone purchased the Enter if you dare Luminaries? I know they have been offered for several years now, and every year they sell out before they really go on sale. Today they would be just over $69 today with coupon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Another OPBA member here :D I just grabbed those eyeball orbs thanks to you guys. I missed out on them last year and was so bummed.

Last night I was cleaning out old pics from my phone and came across my batch of Home Goods photos from last year. I've had Halloween on my mind since then so it was meant to be :)

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Do compare using Spinechiller's 30% off code on item (above, expires tonight) compared to the still active 10% off order & free shipping code APRIL2016 which is still good through 4/25 at 11:59pm EDT. Sometimes the later can be a better deal.

The Gemmy red spotlights just arrived. Nice vivid red color. As expected for the clearance price of $9 (less 10% and Free ship), they are the original Gemmy spots. No switch on them for strobe or flashing, just plug in for solid ON. Well worth the price. Still see them listed under Outdoor Christmas on GR's site. Wish they had blue and orange but guess they are Xmas colors. I'd say it's now time to dedicate a storage bin to LED spotlights. Been working my way towards LEDs and phasing out my incandescents over the last few years and between GR, SH, HD, and Lowes I have a nice color array, most purchased at sale/clearance prices and during non-Halloween timeframes, but I'm ready for halloween now. ;)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,155 Posts
Off season they don't lower the prices much on most of the leftover Halloween Haven stuff.

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
And maybe two years ago we kind of all commented that some popular repeat props we noticed had gone up something like $10 like Victoria I think was $79 and went up to $89. Unfortunately a trend among other stores too. Which is why it's always best to stay tuned in here for any sales and free shipping offers.

Gosh it's hard to believe we're seeing here and at a few other stores mdse listed for preorder to be delivered in July already. Mentally and organization-wise I'm not ready. :eek:

21 - 40 of 892 Posts