Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:) Had a busy weekend trying to get ahead with a few more props! As part of the our Carnival theme we are having a Haunted House/Ghost Train so having had a pile of different shaped boxes hanging a round a while (toothpaste boxes, toilet roll tubes etc), and Hubby threatening to put them in recycling:mad: a purchase of some plastic fencing from the pound store, and an old clock from a jumble sale for 50p....I decided to make a haunted grandfather clock. To keep the 'how to' as short as possible I basically laid out all the different shaped boxes until I was happy with them, cut up the plastic fencing up to use for the finial parts and and the twirly shapes to decorate and the two skulls were off an old plastic Halloween chain that had broken. I hung the clock on a small hook so I could take it off for the batteries. There is about four layers of paint on it in different shades of brown with a gold tint and I am going to add some cobwebs on the night. Only thing I am not to keen on is the red pointer for the seconds but can't really change that as can't get the back off the clock! Still only a minor detail and not too bad for a spend of £1.50:) As usual any comments for improvement greatly appreciated:)

S6303002.jpg S6303003.jpg S6303004.jpg

·
Registered
429 Posts
You have done a good job with this. I agree with you about the red second hand, have you tried taking the front off instead? Would you want to break the plastic screen to remove the arm? If you could engineer an attractive break, having only half the glass could look cool. You could then add something inside the clock part too though it may stop it working.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you removed the top half of the glass, you could fill the bottom half up with all manner of things - dirt, bugs, blood, mice, pulled teeth etc

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
That is an excellent prop!

To get the second hand off, maybe you could drill a small hole right in the center of the glass and pull it off with a small hook made out of wire and fed through. It would look better even if you could just pull it loose and let it fall to the bottom of the clock.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions regarding the dreaded red pointer! There has been some good ideas, so just deciding whether to break the glass or whether to drill as you have suggested:confused:

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Wow, you're very creative! I never would have guessed it was made of cardboard boxes.
Looks terrific!
(If you try to drill a hole in the glass, it will more than likely crack and break anyway.) Are you sure it's not plastic?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the positive feedback:) It was an idea I had for a while but having collected numerous sized boxes and tubes for sometime, Hubby got a bit sick as the cardboard was kind of beginning to creep out of the spare room (AKA halloween props junk hoarding den) so I was kind of told if it's not done it was all heading for recycling:mad: It was surprisingly simple once you get all the pieces laid out and glued on. The front of the clock is plastic but really thick, I am going to have a mess around with it at the weekend when I am off work, so I will post again once the dreaded red pointer has been dealt with........

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well that is my first job for the weekend skunkman..the pointer is going and the clock faced will be aged and made more Halloween........:) watch this space......:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts