Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gothic Skull Plates, Stationery, Candles... from D.L. & Co on SALE @ Gilt for 34hrs

Hi Everyone,
I lurk here often, and many of you have turned me on to great finds and deals, so I wanted to pass this info along to you all.

I just bought myself some of the coolest 8" Dessert Plates, am sooo excited. D.L. & Co sell some very nice Gothic objects, as well as fantastic candles. I had spotted these plates, part of their Memento Mori collection, while Googling back in '06, but figured I could never afford them. Well, Gilt has them on sale for the next 34 hours, or until sellout. They retail for $160-$180 (set of 4), but are now just $70 bucks a set, plus $10 flat shipping per order. Expensive, yeah, but I can't tell you how many plates I've bought over the years, looking for that perfect set. I'm done looking and buying now! ;-) lol

The plates are black porcelain, with a silver skull encircled by silver flourishes. (See attached photo) They come in a black satin hat box tied with black silk ribbon. Gilt also has gold skull swizzle sticks, gold skull placecard holders, a Pandora's Box, and more.

You have to be invited by another member of Gilt in order to join and purchase. But membership is free. If you'd like to join and have a look at what they've got, you can use this link:
tammy5145 welcomes you to Gilt Groupe
The sale ends at midnight Eastern on 5/28/09.

Velvet Vampire.
Tammy

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Junit,
Thanks for your response. I can hardly wait until they get here. They'll fit in perfectly with my other favorite pieces. I'm so excited, it's just ridiculous.
And I can Craigslist or otherwise sell these sets I've bought at Target, Pottery Barn and Lillian Vernon these last few years, and declare my search for the perfect tableware over.
It's also a bit of consolation present to myself since some of my favorite sources for Halloween decor are no more. Illuminations is gone. Dept 56 just got bought by Enesco, and is no longer making anything Halloween except for the Village pieces and (apparently) Snoopy(?!) Halloween! And Bombay Co. is long gone.
I guess it's down to lucking out on closeouts from the deceased merchants, and Target and Pottery Barn. It could be a very dismal shopping season this year...but I hope not!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Those are nice! I'm still hoping WalMart or Target will one day see people want dishes like these and start selling them. Target had some neat square shaped skull plates last year but we need ALL the serving pieces plus matching silverware :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Deadna, I agree, someone needs to put out some great, high quality, serving pieces and flatware...and a punchbowl! I can't believe no one has, already. Those plates from Target were Melamine, weren't they? Did you see the black etched glass Ghoul's Gala Hurricane and Serving Bowl? They were fabulous! If they'd just make some serving pieces and a punch bowl from that same motif, I'd be in love!

Pottery Barn did some nice black glass double highballs with an etched skull last year. They had a Drink Shaker, too. I was lucky enough to get all those on sale. So I'm good on cups.
And they should look great with my new plates.

As for flatware, I think silver with an intricate spiderweb design handle, and a black enamel spider scattered here and there would be just perfect. Now...to find such a creature... Maybe someone from Product R&D at one of these retailers is lurking here? Can't I at least hope? ;-)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderfully Wicked, Thanks for the info about Bombay Canada. I didn't realize they were still in business. I just checked, and I can access their website. I'll keep an eye on their offerings. I remember that the year Bombay closed here, I checked the Canadian site, and they had a good bit more for Halloween than was offered in the U.S. stores or on the website.

It is sad to see Dept 56 go. Some of their stuff was way too cutesy, but they also snuck in some fantastic goth & mildly gorey pieces at times. I'd like to think Enesco might expand the line again at some point in the future, but looking at the other brands they manufacture (Precious Moments, etc), I don't hold out much hope that they'd release anything I'd be interested in.

My Memento Mori Plates shipped out this morning, so I *might* have them by Friday. I ended up getting two sets. I'll probably have a mild heart attack when my bill comes. But considering I got them for basically $17.50 each, it was money well spent. I could have spent nearly that much (possibly more) for plates that aren't nearly the quality. Black porcelain has a beautiful depth and lustre. *sigh* I'm in love! ;-)

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Those are the coolest plates i have ever laid my eyes on.Those would be great for the yearly halloween party. Heck i would keep one to use as my personal plate.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Kitty,
I'm sorry, but you saw the post too late. The sale only lasted 36hrs, and it ended last night at midnight. The plates didn't sell out, and sometimes they repeat sales. I have found out that there was a previous sale of D.L. & Co items on April 1, but I missed that one.

Anyway, if you signed up for Gilt, and opted to receive their email sales announcements, those will tell you when the next D.L & Co sale will happen...if it happens. I can also PM you if/when I hear about it, if you like.
Velvet Vampire.

I feel dumb but I signed up and I cant for the life of me find the stuff you guys are talking about :(

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kprimm & Samhain, Thanks for checking them out. I can't believe the plates didn't sell out. I'm going to be stalking Gilt, waiting for the next sale. While researching on the plates, I've found some other very cool offerings from D.L. & Co (including a talon candle holder), which have apparently gone out of production. Maybe they'll have some of those next time. :)

In the meantime, my shipment should arrive by tomorrow evening. I can't wait to see them. Aside from the cool skull motif, black porcelain is said to have a lovely depth and shine, so I'm eager to see what they look like lit by nothing but candlelight.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,589 Posts
thanks Velvet, I got confused because Im like, "ok, I see a sales page but its all pretty much clothing". :/ So how does it work exactly? Different companys rotate their offerings there? I wasnt sure since all I could see were clothing and accessorys.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Kitty,
According to Gilt's FAQs they handpick offerings from various designers. They have several sales from different designers each day. Each sale lasts only 36 hours, or until sellout. It starts at Noon Eastern Time, and ends at Midnight the next night. The offerings are usually designer and couture clothing, handbags, shoes, accessories and jewelry. But in the month or so I've been a member, I have seen some household items & tech items, all very high end expensive offerings.

I don't know for sure that there will be another D.L. & Co sale. But I do know from, someone's blog that I googled, that there was one on April 1st. And from Gilt's FAQ, it does sound like they repeat sales from time to time. So I'm hoping....

It was actually dumb luck that I found these plates. I've only been opening emails from Gilt about half the time since I joined. And since I didn't know the name of the company that made the plates (I didn't bother to make note because they were out of my budget at $180) I would have missed them completely had they not had a photograph of them in the email. I'll be watching Gilt much more closely from now on.

thanks Velvet, I got confused because Im like, "ok, I see a sales page but its all pretty much clothing". :/ So how does it work exactly? Different companys rotate their offerings there? I wasnt sure since all I could see were clothing and accessorys.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Review of the Gothic Skull Plates by DL & Co from the Gilt Sale

Hi Everyone,
I got my two sets of Momento Mori Plates by D.L. & Co from the Gilt sale. They are just as fabulous as I thought they'd be.

The plates come 4 to a set in a round black silk hatbox, which ties shut with a black satin ribbon. They measure a little larger than stated, about 8.25" in diameter. They are black porcelain with silver around the rim, and an elaborate silver flourish around the silver skull in the center. It's true what I'd heard about black porcelain- it does have a depth and lustre that black ceramic just doesn't. The plates and presentation box just looks sleek, expensive, and darkly sexy. Perfect for a grown up Halloween feast.

The coolest thing about the plates is something I'd never heard mentioned before, and something I noticed by accident. The silver skull is very detailed, and the depth and smoothness of the silver is such that when you look down into the plate, and certainly when you hold it up to admire it, you see a perfect, undistorted reflection of your entire face, just like looking into a mirror. So, when you look into the "face of death", you see yourself! Nice touch! Hehe.

Anyway, I'm wishing I had another set. If you happened to go to the Gilt site during the DL & Co sale, and bookmarked the Plates, or any of the other DL & Co items, *please* PM me. The bookmark won't work since the sale is over, but please don't delete it until you've PM'd me, if you have anything bookmarked. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. Never heard of woot.com, but it looks similar. Except Gilt's thing is mostly designer and couture fashion and accessories, they run several different sales each day, and you need an invite to get on the site. I posted my invitation link earlier on this thread, if you want to go have a look.
I'll post on here if Gilt offers the plates again, in case anyone wants another shot at them. I know of at least one person here that wants some, and several others that didn't see this thread in time, and signed up too late for the first sale.

so this is like woot.com?

cool plates. very jealous of your find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts