Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
A quick recap for those who didn't see this idea's germination on the 2013 Thrift Store thread:

Saki.Girl is doing a gothic graveyard in a garden for her 2014 haunt. I am insanely jealous that I didn't come up with this theme myself :D We've briefly discussed using the Alnwick Poison Gardens as a source of inspiration. I also suggested seeking out inexpensive Victorian bridge floor lamp bases - whether period, revival, or replica - as stands for hanging lamps, lanterns, pots, or even heads. I've long wanted to use these as pathway markers for a haunt but haven't been able to do so yet.

As far as plant varieties for such a garden, props representing carnivorous or poisonous plants are obvious candidates. For traditionalists, here's a to the symbolism and meaning of traditional funeral flowers. However, there are a multitude of plants whose freaky good looks would also seem like naturals. I have an entire collection of photos stored on a computer that is currently defunct so I'll proffer a few such candidates now with many more to come:

• The Titan Arum, largest of the fly-pollinated "corpse flowers" that stink of rotten meat when in bloom. (I had the good fortune to see the largest US bloom of one of these plants many years ago and the sight was well-worth the two hour drive each way)
  • The bat flower. One click and its suitability should be obvious.
Vintage and even antique funeral baskets strike me as must-have items in a graveyard, especially one as lushly landscaped as I'm sure Saki.Girl's will be. I've found vintage ones for as little as $5 even from antique dealers, who often don't recognize their original purpose. Of course, there are also some that are incredible eye candy that can run $100 and up. Check eBay for some mouth-watering inspiration.

Do resurrectionists plague your graveyard? Consider adding a mortsafe around the coffin. For added protection, employ a cemetery gun.

Of course, resurrectionists aren't the only people running around cemeteries at night. Sometimes you've just got to wait for that vampire to rise before you can stake it in the heart. Don't forget to bring your vampire hunting kit to such an event.

If you fear being buried alive, there are many options in Victorian safety coffins that signal the living should you find yourself six feet under.

What gothic garden is complete without a Green Man? I don't know whether the variation with a skull spewing grapevines referred to in this Wikipedia article actually exists in real graveyards, but if it doesn't, it should! (ETA: It Does! And It Is Glorious)

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts
Ok starting a thread my haunt this year is going to be a Gothic, garden, and graveyard please feel free to share any ideas you may have . I will post goodies i find and things i create as the count down to halloween starts :)
may as well start now..lol!

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts
I think Im still doing the carnevil thing..but Im gonna stick to black, white and orange on EVERYTHING..So..im gonna be repainting clown masks and making my own clothes for them..but i'm not going overboard, since this is new for me and I am starting from scratch and Im like 100 years old now...lol

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Saki.Girl I am madly in love with that urn-like whatever-it-is and that round light. If you ever find duplicates you can pass along, you know where to find me!

OMG Bluefrog thank you for all the ideas and info keep them coming
I live to serve :D

Witches and priestesses need plants and earth for their potions, spells, and hexes, do they not? Where better to collect them than your gothic graveyard?

Did the gardener lose his mind and dismember people with gardening shears or a lawnmower - again? And I swear that Green Man sculptures were once used to determine whether someone was telling the truth or lying - the mouth said to snap shut on the hand of a liar. For some reason I'm not finding that particular myth on the web tonight but I have it firmly in my head and having a Green Man with a hand in its mouth would be wicked, wicked fun.

Might a faithful dog be watching his master's grave, even to the point of becoming a corpse or skeleton himself?

Necromancers / priests could be raising zombies too. Speaking of zombies, this would be a great place to incorporate a "Grow Your Own Zombie" kit as discussed quite a bit in the Props forum.

... and I believe it's a requirement that there be mourners at the funerals. Check out the Victorian profession of mute, especially the reason the custom died out (it's a hoot).

Also bordering on obligatory is a caretaker carrying a lantern. There are plenty of nice railroad lanterns available, even sometimes with red glass for that extra gothic touch. Unfortunately red glass is the most popular among collectors but sometimes they slip by cheaply.

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the round light that is a easy one is one of those light round balls you see in front of houses on the pourch a lot of times i just put a tea light under it. :) thought a few of those would look wicked next to grave stones.

for sure will need a grim reaper out there with the mourners and love the idea of a care taker too and a skell dog. some gothic arch ways and several fountains a mausoleum would rock too

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think Im still doing the carnevil thing..but Im gonna stick to black, white and orange on EVERYTHING..So..im gonna be repainting clown masks and making my own clothes for them..but i'm not going overboard, since this is new for me and I am starting from scratch and Im like 100 years old now...lol
cool can not wait to see them i know they are going to rocl for sure :)

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
Wow, Saki... you've already collected some really cool items for this theme. I'll be following this as well ;)

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Saki, if you don't want to do tea lights under the balls, the Dollar tree has smaller led battery operated lights that fit under the open part of some of the glass light domes. Those are what I'm using for some of my crystal balls ;) Then you won't have to worry about lack of oxygen for the candle :eek:

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Saki, if you don't want to do tea lights under the balls, the Dollar tree has smaller led battery operated lights that fit under the open part of some of the glass light domes. Those are what I'm using for some of my crystal balls ;) Then you won't have to worry about lack of oxygen for the candle :eek:
the tea light i put under it is the battery ones :) thanks though

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
Saki.Girl, I have three unused themes in the can, ready to go, not to mention a multitude of ideas with some solid planning and purchasing behind them, but all I can think about now is incorporating the garden of the new house into creating a gothic cemetery. I may very well "flatter" you this year. This Is All YOUR FAULT! :D

1 - 20 of 381 Posts