Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a picture of my 2007 addition to our Home haunt graveyard. It is a large entryway feture that will go at the front door of the house. This pic is at the framing stage and it will soon be skinned with foam and aged. My daughter and I will paint it to look like stone.
More pics soon...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

I have a few more pics if I can figure out how to post large images like I see other people doing..... Grrrrrr...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

OK, Here is the frame stage. It is built to be light and it bolts together in three pieces

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Here is over half of the skinning stage. After I add details I will give it a stone texture with a torch. Then I will primer the whole thing and spray it with gel coat to make the foam stronger. Last it will get many coats and washes of color to give it an aged stone look.
More pics tomorrow

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
WOW! That is really impressive! I'm equally impressed (read jealous) of your work shop. I'll be following along on this one. Great job and attention to detail!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update

Tonight I finished and texurized the three pieces. I also painted them with primer and they are now ready for gelcoat.

(the skelleton in the background is a 4th quality Franken Bucky. I am building a large version of my Flame Sentries that I fabricated last year -see pic-.
Right now I can't find a skull that I like so the project is on hold.)

·
Registered
324 Posts
This saddens me as it will be a long time until I can match those skills and my wife still wouldn't let me build it.

Seriously, that is awesome.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Bilbo,

LOL Don't loose hope.....maybe you can get the wife to come to the other side.

Can you get her to join you in prop building? If you can turn it into a hobby you can do together and have fun at it, maybe she'll loosen up a bit? If that don't work try diamonds. :D

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Awesome stuff! Where did you get the medallions for the front of the columns. I'd also like to see a how to on the skeleton. That is nothing short of a Hollywood prop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The medallions on the front of the pillars came from http://www.mostlydead.com/
Today I sprayed Gel coat on everything to help make the foam surfaces harder. I then used the same gel coat gun to spray gray exterior latex paint on all surfaces as a base coat of color. Soon I will begin with many color washes to give it an aged look.

The pic is the gel coat gun and adhesive that I use. The gel coat gun works great to spray any thick liquids.
The adhesive I use is GE silicone II XST.
I have tested quite a few ways to glue insulate foam and this product works great, dries fast, paintable and very strong.
The other pic is the top piece with grey basecoat applied. You can see the folding handles I installed to help move and lift it. Also areas that I cut away to make things as light as possible.

The skelleton project will be another how-to when I get back to it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
About this Discussion
64 Replies
42 Participants
Daphne
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing